Desktop version
A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.

Forum rules

Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg
Post a reply

Evernew Appalachian Cookset v Toaks Ultralight Ti Cookset

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 2:25 pm

Interesting review on lightweight stove & cookset options, the Evernew is an alcohol burner but has the option to be used with wood or solid fuel too, the Toaks is just a solid fuel kit:

http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/2013/07/evernew-appalachian-cookset-v-toaks-ultralight-ti-cookset/

The review is a bit long and not very exciting, not sure if the stoves are new but I couldn't see any reference to the Evernew one on this forum and Toaks doesn't come up at all via the search (must admit I hadn't heard of Toaks before either, Google search found this USA site http://toaksoutdoor.com and some of the Toaks titanium gear seems to be available on Amazon - although neither have the stove reviewed above)

Anyway I'm not in the market for a new stove just now but thought it might be of interest to some of you Ultralighters

Re: Evernew Appalachian Cookset v Toaks Ultralight Ti Cookse

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 3:03 pm

Shame the good prices aren't for us.

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 4:33 pm

The Evernew Appalachian Cookset can be a bit hard to find as a set a lot of the time. You can however find the separate components at varying times on e-bay, sometimes quite inexpensively (or maybe I was just super lucky), via Trail Designs, and I got the little cross stand from Backpackinglight UK http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/categ ... RE107.html

The whole set http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/cooke ... SD104.html

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 5:46 pm

I have the Appalachian set as well as the cross stand.
IMHO unless you plan on doing some wood burning, don't bother with the DX stand. It still needs a windscreen in a breeze.
Just go with the 500ml pot/mug, burner, cross stand and small TI windscreen for the smallest and lightest solo setup.
It all fits inside the mug with room to spare for a little fuel and fire steel.

Of course it's only suitable for boiling water, but it's pretty quick for a meths burner. You can also take the cross stand out and put the pot straight on the burner to simmer.

Tue 29 Apr, 2014 6:14 pm

Spot on davec.....great compact, well made little unit, just needs a windscreen in windy conditions or you could
just use the windscreen, burner & cross stand on its own. Forget burning wood, unless your desperate
or like fiddling with twiglets.

No DX stand, just a windscreen + cross + stove

P4290183 (Small).JPG
P4290183 (Small).JPG (78.9 KiB) Viewed 8056 times

P4290178 (Small).JPG
P4290178 (Small).JPG (58.09 KiB) Viewed 8014 times

The whole kit & kaboodle...DX stand, burner, windscreen, cross stand & bits 'n pieces, all in a 500ml cup.

P4220033 (Small).JPG
P4220033 (Small).JPG (81.66 KiB) Viewed 8014 times
Post a reply