Light Weight Sleeping Bag?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Light Weight Sleeping Bag?

Postby DannyS » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 3:30 pm

Hello, I'm trying to lighten my gear down and I'm looking to upgrade my sleeping bag. At the moment I'm considering a Western Mountaineering Megalite 770grams, does anyone have experience with this bag? It looks to have a lot of space inside and I'm concerned as to whether it would go to it's stated temp rating?
If someone has any experience with this bag I would appreciate any feedback, otherwise if there are any other suggestions for other light weight bags? I'm happy to layer up with a base layer and light weight down jacket when needed. I should add that I'm a cold sleeper, for that reason I also considered a WM Versalite, not that light though?
Cheers.
DannyS
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Light Weight Sleeping Bag?

Postby sim1oz » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi Danny,

As far as sleeping bags go I am a fan of Western Mountaineering. I am female and sleep cold, so I got the WM Versalite and I have been comfortably warm at -5C wearing polypro thermals and socks. I've used it at lower temps yet so can't say whether it reaches -12C which it probably won't for me but may for others. My old synthetic sleeping bag was only rated to +2C and weighed 300g more so I figure I am already ahead. Less weight and warmer when I need it.

Cheers
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby DannyS » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 5:00 pm

sim1oz wrote:Hi Danny,

As far as sleeping bags go I am a fan of Western Mountaineering. I am female and sleep cold, so I got the WM Versalite and I have been comfortably warm at -5C wearing polypro thermals and socks. I've used it at lower temps yet so can't say whether it reaches -12C which it probably won't for me but may for others. My old synthetic sleeping bag was only rated to +2C and weighed 300g more so I figure I am already ahead. Less weight and warmer when I need it.

Cheers

Thanks sim1oz you just confirmed my feeling that it might be the better choice, I wanted something a little lighter but not at the expense of warmth. I think 960grams for the long is not too bad.
Cheers
DannyS

Postby Strider » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 5:51 pm

Can I ask why you seem to be limiting your options to WM? No doubt they are excellent bags, but there are numerous other great choices out there also. How did you narrow it down so completely?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby iGBH » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 6:37 pm

Have a look at the Montbell Super Spiral Range. Generally the WM lightweight bags are lightweight partly because of their narrow cuts. The stretch in the Montbell allows for narrow cuts but also plenty of movement and room due to the clever materials and stitching.
iGBH
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DannyS » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 6:55 pm

iGBH wrote:Have a look at the Montbell Super Spiral Range. Generally the WM lightweight bags are lightweight partly because of their narrow cuts. The stretch in the Montbell allows for narrow cuts but also plenty of movement and room due to the clever materials and stitching.

Have you actually used one of these bags? And if so which one?
DannyS

Postby iGBH » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 9:45 pm

DannyS wrote:Have you actually used one of these bags? And if so which one?

This is the one I have... http://www.moontrail.com/montbell-ul-sp ... -3-reg.php

Really happy with it. Very comfortable. Without layering up (ie not wearing anything other than boxers and maybe a tshirt) i'm comfortable in this down to around 2c.
iGBH
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 12:53 am

I can vouch for the MB super spiral bags. We have three in our family now, two UL versions and one 'normal' version as our winter bags. Mine is lower temp rated than my husband's. I'm a cold side sleeper that turns over a fair bit, and I often tuck my knees up when it's cold, but I can definitely notice the difference with the spiral cut. It doesn't pull like my other bag (which is a Western Mountaineering Summerlite)
Note that for each temp rated bag, there is a 'normal' version, and an UL version. I got caught out when I bought the second bag, and bought the wrong one. It was going to cost me $60 to post back to the US in exchange for the (more expensive of course) lighter one. I put it up for sale, but then my daughter decided she wanted to have it as an upgrade to her bulkier heavier synthetic bag, and she persuaded me to give it to her. I haven't slept in it for comparison sorry.

BUT if you're going for a lightweight sleeping bag, have you considered getting a zipperless quilt? There are lots of good hammock quilt makers out there (Warbonnet, Hammockgear, Enlightened Equipment, Jacks r Better etc etc) It eliminates the flattening of the down where you're body presses on it underneath you, which makes it lose it's insulative properties. Many can have the footbox open right up which adds to versatility. You can often specify what width you want it, and length. Some, like the Jacks r Better Sierra Sniveller-type ones have a velcroed opening in the middle so you can potentially wear it like a cape in camp, theoretically to reduce the need to carry separate down clothing.
Hoodless bags (as well as quilts) are used to further reduce weight - you can wear down headwear at night. Some examples are the ones that Zpacks make, and Nanatuk's Arc range
My 12 year old son has a Zpacks one (20deg F/just under freezing degC) which has been good, bacuse we try to keep his pack as light as possible. He's been snug as a bug on a few winter trips so far, including windy weather autumn above the treeline.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby stepbystep » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 5:49 am

I've been using the Rab Neutrino 400 and have been very happy in 3 seasons. Right now I have in my possession a Malachowski Climber 600 and it is ticking every box for 4 seasons in Australia.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby DannyS » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 9:01 am

Onestepmore wrote:I can vouch for the MB super spiral bags. We have three in our family now, two UL versions and one 'normal' version as our winter bags. Mine is lower temp rated than my husband's. I'm a cold side sleeper that turns over a fair bit, and I often tuck my knees up when it's cold, but I can definitely notice the difference with the spiral cut. It doesn't pull like my other bag (which is a Western Mountaineering Summerlite)
Note that for each temp rated bag, there is a 'normal' version, and an UL version. I got caught out when I bought the second bag, and bought the wrong one. It was going to cost me $60 to post back to the US in exchange for the (more expensive of course) lighter one. I put it up for sale, but then my daughter decided she wanted to have it as an upgrade to her bulkier heavier synthetic bag, and she persuaded me to give it to her. I haven't slept in it for comparison sorry.

BUT if you're going for a lightweight sleeping bag, have you considered getting a zipperless quilt? There are lots of good hammock quilt makers out there (Warbonnet, Hammockgear, Enlightened Equipment, Jacks r Better etc etc) It eliminates the flattening of the down where you're body presses on it underneath you, which makes it lose it's insulative properties. Many can have the footbox open right up which adds to versatility. You can often specify what width you want it, and length. Some, like the Jacks r Better Sierra Sniveller-type ones have a velcroed opening in the middle so you can potentially wear it like a cape in camp, theoretically to reduce the need to carry separate down clothing.
Hoodless bags (as well as quilts) are used to further reduce weight - you can wear down headwear at night. Some examples are the ones that Zpacks make, and Nanatuk's Arc range
My 12 year old son has a Zpacks one (20deg F/just under freezing degC) which has been good, bacuse we try to keep his pack as light as possible. He's been snug as a bug on a few winter trips so far, including windy weather autumn above the treeline.

I've never thought of a quilt and have no experience with them but I'll start to do some research now, they definitely look to have good warmth to weight ratio. Does anyone here have experience with quilts?
DannyS

Postby forest » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 10:10 am

Yes quite a few of us use quilts, more so in the UL group.

I have 2 top quilts from Hammock Gear made with M50 outer shells and 7D inners (a 30°F and a overfilled 20°F). They are very warm for the minimal weight and the M50 is very wind resistant. In direct comparison to the 770gram WM Megalight I have a 30°F rated TQ with 10.5oz of 900fill down, 1.5" baffles, 2"+ loft, M50/7D fabrics and it only weighs 450 grams. I have used this in the snow on Barrington Tops last year @ -4°C and was comfortable all night, but I did wear a down vest to bed.

Not sure what sized person you are but I'm a 40" chested guy and for me I use 56" wide (head end) tapered quilts. Some makers do 50" quilts and from my personal experience with these is they are great for in a hammock with a UQ but lack width on a ground mat.

I get zero issues with gaps and drafts from the extra width, I'd rather have extra material to tuck under me. For me the temp ratings on the cottage quilts are conservative, they are not a EN rating, more what you will still be warm at generally.

Enlightened Equipment always gets a great report on value and workmanship of his quilts. Might be worth a look. Could also be a cheaper exercise than the WM bags.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Postby DannyS » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 10:58 am

forest wrote:Yes quite a few of us use quilts, more so in the UL group.

I have 2 top quilts from Hammock Gear made with M50 outer shells and 7D inners (a 30°F and a overfilled 20°F). They are very warm for the minimal weight and the M50 is very wind resistant. In direct comparison to the 770gram WM Megalight I have a 30°F rated TQ with 10.5oz of 900fill down, 1.5" baffles, 2"+ loft, M50/7D fabrics and it only weighs 450 grams. I have used this in the snow on Barrington Tops last year @ -4°C and was comfortable all night, but I did wear a down vest to bed.

Not sure what sized person you are but I'm a 40" chested guy and for me I use 56" wide (head end) tapered quilts. Some makers do 50" quilts and from my personal experience with these is they are great for in a hammock with a UQ but lack width on a ground mat.

I get zero issues with gaps and drafts from the extra width, I'd rather have extra material to tuck under me. For me the temp ratings on the cottage quilts are conservative, they are not a EN rating, more what you will still be warm at generally.

Enlightened Equipment always gets a great report on value and workmanship of his quilts. Might be worth a look. Could also be a cheaper exercise than the WM bags.

Forest I've just been looking at the Zpacks and Katabatic quilts, Zpacks looks lighter and perhaps a little more versatile. Like I said I have no experience with quilts so I really have no idea what I should be ordering. If you could give me a little guidance, here are my specs, I'm 6'2", chest 50"-51"(rough measurement), I'm a side sleeper, I sleep cold and tend to move a lot. I was thinking of a -7C or 20F bag. It will only be for three season use but I rather carry extra warmth than struggle to be warm, I'm tired of experiencing that.
Cheers
Danny
DannyS

Postby Bluegum Mic » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 11:05 am

Ive got an enlightened equipment quilt (10* F) and its brilliant. Very very warm. Its quality is fantastic. Ive also had a hammock gear quilt and I prefer the enlightened equipment. He's fantastic and will make whatever your after.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stibb » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 11:38 am

DannyS wrote:Forest I've just been looking at the Zpacks and Katabatic quilts, Zpacks looks lighter and perhaps a little more versatile..... I'm a side sleeper, I sleep cold and tend to move a lot. I was thinking of a -7C or 20F bag. It will only be for three season use but I rather carry extra warmth than struggle to be warm, I'm tired of experiencing that.
Cheers
Danny

I got a Katabatic Alsek (22F) after a lot of online research. Design is imo perfect, quality is fantastic and I'm very happy with it. Haven't been able to directly compare it with other (quilt) brands but if I lost it I would replace it with another Alsek. If you need more warmth, use more cloths while sleeping. I would never want to go back to a traditional/zippered bag because I'm a side sleeper, I sleep cold and tend to move a lot.

Remember, get a good sleeping pad too! It will help a lot, both for comfort and keeping warm.

My husband got a WM Ultralight (the largest size) and yes, excellent bag but narrow :shock:
Stibb

Postby forest » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 11:45 am

Danny I would suggest you contact a few quilt manufacturers to dial in your dimensions. They will all work with you and most will customise to suit.
They will have the best knowledge, as for me I can just pass on what suits for me. Zpacks and Katabatic make awesome light weight gear, but can lean to the more expensive side of the cottage guys.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Postby Orion » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 11:55 am

Yes, consider a quilt.

I have a WM Ultralight that I really like but it's more bag than I really need a lot of the time. So I sewed a quilt last year. I was quite skeptical of the whole quilt thing but now I hardly use my Ultralight. And my girl friend, who also has an Ultralight, has fallen in love with my quilt and has now "commissioned" me to sew her one too.

You may not be interested in a sewing project but as mentioned above commercial quilts are available that will likely suit your needs. By buying instead of making one you just trade money for saving labor. Mine cost me $185, ended up weighing 528g, and the stuff sack I made out of the shell material weighs 9g. It's kept me toasty down to 0°C at least one night without a tent. It's my favorite piece of gear now and makes me smile every time I get it out and fluff it up.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby icefest » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 2:33 pm

Orion wrote:Yes, consider a quilt.

I have a WM Ultralight that I really like but it's more bag than I really need a lot of the time. So I sewed a quilt last year. I was quite skeptical of the whole quilt thing but now I hardly use my Ultralight. And my girl friend, who also has an Ultralight, has fallen in love with my quilt and has now "commissioned" me to sew her one too.

You may not be interested in a sewing project but as mentioned above commercial quilts are available that will likely suit your needs. By buying instead of making one you just trade money for saving labor. Mine cost me $185, ended up weighing 528g, and the stuff sack I made out of the shell material weighs 9g. It's kept me toasty down to 0°C at least one night without a tent. It's my favorite piece of gear now and makes me smile every time I get it out and fluff it up.

Which plans did you use?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DannyS » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 7:51 pm

Stibb wrote:
DannyS wrote:Forest I've just been looking at the Zpacks and Katabatic quilts, Zpacks looks lighter and perhaps a little more versatile..... I'm a side sleeper, I sleep cold and tend to move a lot. I was thinking of a -7C or 20F bag. It will only be for three season use but I rather carry extra warmth than struggle to be warm, I'm tired of experiencing that.
Cheers
Danny

I got a Katabatic Alsek (22F) after a lot of online research. Design is imo perfect, quality is fantastic and I'm very happy with it. Haven't been able to directly compare it with other (quilt) brands but if I lost it I would replace it with another Alsek. If you need more warmth, use more cloths while sleeping. I would never want to go back to a traditional/zippered bag because I'm a side sleeper, I sleep cold and tend to move a lot.

Remember, get a good sleeping pad too! It will help a lot, both for comfort and keeping warm.

My husband got a WM Ultralight (the largest size) and yes, excellent bag but narrow :shock:

Would you say the Alsek temp rating is accurate? Did you go for regular or wide width?
DannyS

Postby DannyS » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 7:56 pm

Orion wrote:Yes, consider a quilt.

The thought of making my own quilt feels good but I have no machine and wouldn't know where to begin? I think I'll have to forgo the myog and invest in one of the manufacturers, I'm leaning towards the katabatic.
DannyS

Postby Stibb » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 11:39 pm

DannyS wrote:Would you say the Alsek temp rating is accurate? Did you go for regular or wide width?

I have only used it down to just above 0 C but was very warm and toasty with thermals, a buff on my head and Exped UL downmat. I might have to put on a fleece/puffy on at -5.5C/22F but mostly because I'm flailing my arms around outside the bag + I'm a very cold sleeper.

I just got the standard small size and it's perfect for me but I'm only 160cm tall (no idea of my shoulder width, but pretty normal for my height I guess). If I would have needed a regular or large size I would probably go for a wide.
Stibb

Postby DannyS » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 11:56 pm

Stibb wrote:
DannyS wrote:Would you say the Alsek temp rating is accurate? Did you go for regular or wide width?

I have only used it down to just above 0 C but was very warm and toasty with thermals, a buff on my head and Exped UL downmat. I might have to put on a fleece/puffy on at -5.5C/22F but mostly because I'm flailing my arms around outside the bag + I'm a very cold sleeper.

I just got the standard small size and it's perfect for me but I'm only 160cm tall (no idea of my shoulder width, but pretty normal for my height I guess). If I would have needed a regular or large size I would probably go for a wide.

Thanks Stibb, I think this is the way I'll go. Appreciate your input.
Cheers,
Danny
DannyS

Postby Orion » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 3:25 am

icefest wrote:Which plans did you use?

I purchased 900 fill down, Momentum 50 fabric, and netting for baffles as a "quilt kit" package from thru-hiker.com. It did not come with plans. The fabric width (58 inches) constrained the maximum quilt width at the shoulder. I tapered it down towards both the neck and foot, cut the liner a tiny bit narrower, decided on a baffle width, made a down filled footbox, and sewed it together to about knee height. At the neck I added a simple snap. There are a couple photos here if you scroll down a bit. Although it is very silky and nice against the skin I found the slippery M50 fabric challenging to work with. It's not a good first time sewing project. I wish I'd kept notes because making a second one will be just as hard for me I fear. Also the 900 fill white goose down is no longer available and my girlfriend bought their gray 900 down instead. It's just a cosmetic difference but I worry it will make the bag look dark and lumpy.

The Katabatic Alsec regular has about the same amount of 900 fill down as my bag but uses a heavier shell and liner material (M50 is 0.69 oz/yd² versus 1.00 and 0.85). That is probably why it is heavier even though it is narrower below the shoulder than my bag. It's interesting that they claim 22°F. The 2.75 inch loft does translate to about that temperature or even colder, depending on which standard you subscribe to, but it doesn't take into account the fact that a quilt isn't as enclosed as a mummy bag. You have no hood and there is more air transfer in a quilt when you roll. I'd be wary of using one in sub-freezing conditions for that reason, but I'm probably wrong and it would be fine.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DannyS » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 8:47 am

Orion wrote:
icefest wrote:Which plans did you use?

I purchased 900 fill down, Momentum 50 fabric, and netting for baffles as a "quilt kit" package from thru-hiker.com. It did not come with plans. The fabric width (58 inches) constrained the maximum quilt width at the shoulder. I tapered it down towards both the neck and foot, cut the liner a tiny bit narrower, decided on a baffle width, made a down filled footbox, and sewed it together to about knee height. At the neck I added a simple snap. There are a couple photos here if you scroll down a bit. Although it is very silky and nice against the skin I found the slippery M50 fabric challenging to work with. It's not a good first time sewing project. I wish I'd kept notes because making a second one will be just as hard for me I fear. Also the 900 fill white goose down is no longer available and my girlfriend bought their gray 900 down instead. It's just a cosmetic difference but I worry it will make the bag look dark and lumpy.

The Katabatic Alsec regular has about the same amount of 900 fill down as my bag but uses a heavier shell and liner material (M50 is 0.69 oz/yd² versus 1.00 and 0.85). That is probably why it is heavier even though it is narrower below the shoulder than my bag. It's interesting that they claim 22°F. The 2.75 inch loft does translate to about that temperature or even colder, depending on which standard you subscribe to, but it doesn't take into account the fact that a quilt isn't as enclosed as a mummy bag. You have no hood and there is more air transfer in a quilt when you roll. I'd be wary of using one in sub-freezing conditions for that reason, but I'm probably wrong and it would be fine.

Orion how much sowing skill or experience do you feel is necessary to make your own quilt? I'm feeling keen to have a go at this but I have no experience with sowing machines?
DannyS

Postby Orion » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 11:38 am

DannyS wrote:Orion how much sowing skill or experience do you feel is necessary to make your own quilt? I'm feeling keen to have a go at this but I have no experience with sowing machines?

I wouldn't do it as a first project but I'm not particularly talented. I had done a bunch of other projects over a period of several years and I still struggled a little because of the fabric. It isn't rocket science. It's more like plumbing or carpentry or one of many other skills: easy in principle but not necessarily so in practice. A basic quilt, especially if you just make a drawstring for the foot instead of sewing a footbox, is very simple. Here's a step by step plan, one of several on the web that I looked at before making mine. What could go wrong?

I can't say whether you could do it or not. But if it were me I'd practice on other things first and build enough confidence so I wouldn't have to ask the question you just did.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DannyS » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 11:53 am

Yes I guess the answer was in the question ;-) looks like I'll purchase one.
Cheers,
Danny
DannyS

Postby Stibb » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 12:31 pm

Orion wrote:The Katabatic Alsec regular has about the same amount of 900 fill down as my bag but uses a heavier shell and liner material (M50 is 0.69 oz/yd² versus 1.00 and 0.85). That is probably why it is heavier even though it is narrower below the shoulder than my bag. It's interesting that they claim 22°F. The 2.75 inch loft does translate to about that temperature or even colder, depending on which standard you subscribe to, but it doesn't take into account the fact that a quilt isn't as enclosed as a mummy bag. You have no hood and there is more air transfer in a quilt when you roll. I'd be wary of using one in sub-freezing conditions for that reason, but I'm probably wrong and it would be fine.

I wont argue with you on this as I don't have the experience of other quilts nor the rated temp. If in doubt there is always the Sawatch for slightly more. If the OP use a down jacket, as mentioned in the first post, and a warm mat he should be ok imo...but can only really find out by trying himself...

good luck and let us know how you go
Stibb

Postby Strider » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 9:38 pm

What did you end up buying Danny?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DannyS » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 11:35 pm

Strider wrote:What did you end up buying Danny?

I ended up buying the Zpacks -12C bag with two mods; two way zip and neck draft collar. I think it's the best bag I've used without a doubt.
DannyS

Postby Strider » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 11:54 pm

That's a bit of a shift away from quilts. What prompted that move?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DannyS » Sat 05 Oct, 2013 12:14 am

Strider wrote:That's a bit of a shift away from quilts. What prompted that move?

It was actually more of a time issue, I was heading off by a particular date and already had an order with Zpacks who said they'd have it delivered well before my departure date so I decided to go that way instead, Katabatic couldn't give that assurance. I wasn't particularly looking for a quilt as much as I was looking for something very warm, light weight and flexible. I'm very happy with the end result.
DannyS

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking