Cuben fibre tent or tarp

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Cuben fibre tent or tarp

Postby Davidf61 » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 3:36 pm

Is next on the shopping list. Anybody out there actually own one or the other and can give an honest review.

I'm leaning towards a largish [ 3x3m ] tarp with lots of tie outs [ versatility ] or a "pyramid", single trek pole style set up, I prefer to sleep in a bug bivi but have LOTS of sheltered space.
Since it's been in use for a few years now are there any issues creeping in that people have spotted, or otherwise.

All thoughts and views appreciated.
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Cuben fibre tent or tarp

Postby Davidf61 » Thu 08 Aug, 2013 3:54 pm

Site wouldn't let me edit

Don't really do "snow", [ never seen the attraction personally!' ] more your usual OZ scrub/bush and a fair bit of semi desert type [ can be very cold and windy ] camping, if anybody else is also inclined that way.
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Mark F » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 9:01 am

My own preference is for the pyramid type tarps. I started walking with a cheap nylon fly (1960's) and I now have a MLD Grace Duo tarp (about 2.2m x 2.7m with a catenary cut ridge) that I use occasionally in hot weather if I know I will be in a well sheltered campsite - I am planning to sell it. If I was buying a flat tarp I would not get a catenary cut ridge and, as you say, big with lots of tieouts.

I have moved to the pyramid type designs, initially a SMD Gatewood Cape and now a ZPAcks Hexamid, both of which served my purposes admirably. I still take the Gatewood Cape on day walks as my rainwear/emergency shelter. So much nicer being able to get out of the rain to eat lunch if caught unexpectedly. I prefer them for the all round protection in windy conditions as well as increased privacy if being used in a crowded camp site.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby icefest » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 6:22 pm

Mark F wrote:I now have a MLD Grace Duo tarp (about 2.2m x 2.7m with a catenary cut ridge) that I use occasionally in hot weather if I know I will be in a well sheltered campsite - I am planning to sell it. If I was buying a flat tarp I would not get a catenary cut ridge and, as you say, big with lots of tieouts.

How much are you planning on selling the MLD Grace Duo for? I'm looking at getting one but the waiting times are ungodly.

EDIT: is it cuben or silnylon?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Sun 11 Aug, 2013 6:08 pm

I'd seriously look at the Z-Packs Hexamid series - absolutely fantastic tents.
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none
Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking