Ultralight Stove System?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Ultralight Stove System?

Postby Orion » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 4:37 am

Mark F wrote:Camping Gaz do make some lighter butane/propane cartridges but they are not available in Australia. Not suitable for upright stoves but could easily be adapted for remote canister stoves.
http://www.campingaz.com/c-608-diy-cartridges.aspx

What do they weigh empty?

One could adapt all sorts of containers. But since we're talking about 130g it should be a significant savings to make it worth the trouble.

Another outside the box idea: A small hand pump that connects to a Lindal valve for introducing air into a canister. That way even with normal butane fuel one could use the canister inverted with a liquid feed stove in sub-zero conditions. The air could later be purged through the stove for use in vapor feed mode. One would need to take care to prevent overpressurizing the canister with air since the pressure equals the sum of the vapor pressure and introduced partial air pressure.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby icefest » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:44 am

I like the pressurization idea. If you use a CO2 canister and have done way of measuring it, you could use n-butane in a liquid-feed stove, use a lighter canister, and still be able to use it in frigid conditions.
It would suck if you accidentally purged the CO2 in the middle of a hike though.
In Australia 400 millibar would probably be enough.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:13 am

I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not. Just a thought.
But why would you choose CO2 instead of air?

It might be enough to simply pump enough air into a fresh canister at home or the trailhead to increase the pressure by about 2 bar. That way you could use a proper floor pump with a good gauge and it's not so much added pressure that it would constitute a danger. By the time the canister neared empty the air pressure would be about five times less which I suspect would still be enough to push non-vaporizing fluid out into the stove.

But I could be overlooking something important here.
Last edited by Orion on Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:16 am

corvus wrote:Wowsers !!?? a wheel reinvention perhaps ??
I personally will stick to the true and tested :lol:
corvus

+1

If I'm going to save 130g (or less), I'll do it in such a way that my safety isn't put at risk.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:18 am

Strider wrote:If I'm going to save 130g (or less), I'll do it in such a way that my safety isn't put at risk.

Of course. This is just hypothetical. Nobody is really going to try this.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking