details on zpacks even cuben rainshell

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: details on zpacks even cuben rainshell

Postby wayno » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 6:55 am

bugger! going to have thunder storms here all day in auckland, should have sent it to me 8)
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby forest » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 7:35 am

No I'd feel better bringing it over myself, afterall I'm slightly partial to NZ. Working on another South Island trip for April / May next year.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Joomy » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 3:59 pm

forest wrote:
Joomy wrote:That fabric is bonkers looking. Seems to me like they've almost inverted a "1.5 layer" eVent fabric, with the coating on the outside and the eVent on the inside, all stuck to a layer of Dyneema fibres in the middle. Maybe?

Must .resist urge to purchase one.

Just to clear this up I can see how they claim three layer. That dotted face fabric is on both sides of the jacket. It's not like other shells I have owned and played with that have a inner and outer side. This looks the same both inside and outside. But there is definately another layer of something in between the fabrics. I must say though it's thin enough to pass as a single layer jacket........
No use on Saturday, It was stinkin hot !!

Sorry I wasn't very clear either. My idea is that there are two layers of 1.5 layer event laminate with a layer of dyneema fibres in the middle (with the 0.5 layers facing outward to handle abrasion). Pretty clever really, using the 1.5 layer construction method for both the inside and outside of the jacket, removing the woven layer altogether. Not convinced about durability but then nothing UL is going to last forever.

Could be a sweet alpine shell actually and the fact that sizes are customisable is awesome for funny shaped people like myself. If only it came in red...
Joomy

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wayno » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 5:03 pm

its had good reviews so far... time will tell how it lasts in the long term..
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 6:37 pm

Got my Zpacs jkt today....along with cuben tarp, and some double sided tape for other cuben projects...

Must say that I'm impressed by the jkt. It fits well. The fabric doesn't seem weird to me. It's a good design, with visor on hood. I got one with pit zips. As to how it works practically, I'll have to play with it. I just wish it was green/grey/blue rather than white.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Fri 11 Oct, 2013 4:07 am

you guys need to form a club 8)
i dont know that i want one,, they are getting too common.. 8) i'll stick to something rarer like, like um, gore tex.....
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking