details on zpacks even cuben rainshell

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

details on zpacks even cuben rainshell

Postby wayno » Wed 21 Aug, 2013 11:24 am

from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: details on zpacks even cuben rainshell

Postby forest » Wed 21 Aug, 2013 1:31 pm

Thats really interesting Wayno. I've seen the zpacks rain gear but it has never been breathable enough.......but now :D
One of these would make a great trail running shell with pit zips and the super light weight.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Giddy_up » Wed 21 Aug, 2013 1:32 pm

Good find wayno, it looks like this new event/Cuban is going mainstream with Easton using it in their tents. This might make the pricing on the products made with it more palatable.

This link does not give the specs on the fabrics though.

http://eastonoutfitters.com/wp-content/ ... lowres.pdf

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards"
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Wed 21 Aug, 2013 2:01 pm

dunno about running in one of those jackets they look like they are cut like a tent pretty baggy and would flap around and jump up and down on a run...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby forest » Wed 21 Aug, 2013 2:09 pm

wayno wrote:dunno about running in one of those jackets they look like they are cut like a tent pretty baggy and would flap around and jump up and down on a run...

Race / hydration vest soon stops the giggles. Besides I have bouncy bits too.........

forest

Postby Supertramp » Fri 23 Aug, 2013 2:15 pm

I was the one who posted this in the (Lightweight rain, snow jackets) thread a few days ago.
As I said in that thread, this stuff sounds very promising :)
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Joomy » Sun 25 Aug, 2013 1:10 am

I am far from convinced:

1) MTVR ratings mean next to nothing. Most MVTR tests don't take into account air permeability and you end up with stupid results like fleeces being less breathable than monolithic membranes.

2) This doesn't sound like it's a 3-layer fabric of the sort that we are all used to, i.e. a waterproof membrane sandwiched between two durable fabric layers. According to that article this Cuben fibre stuff has the dyneema layer in the middle and the eVent membranes on the outside. So your membranes are being subjected to all the wear and tear and the Dyneema is simply providing the strength with no woven fabrics to provide any abrasion resistance.

Finally, I am very skeptical of the entire notion of using air-permeable eVent with cuben fibre, since cuben fibre uses a monolithic membrane to hold the dyneema fibres together. Unless they have figured out a way to laminate the dyneema directly to the ePTFE (or similar) layer you will inevitably have a monolithic layer acting as a bottle neck which defeats the purpose of using eVent.
Joomy

Postby wayno » Sun 25 Aug, 2013 5:25 am

the ratings for moisture permeability come out of laboratories in conditions that may seldom be achieved in the real world...
in the real world you can still end up with zero air permeability on the most moisture permeable fabrics,, dwr has to keep working well.
moisture permeability is affected by temperature and humidity and some of the ratings they get can be as a result of subjecting the material to wind, so no wind and you won't achieve the rating...
i've used event in circumstances where there was no sign of moisture permeability.
you're right about cuben being monolithic so what have they done to it? punched holes all over the fabric?
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joomy » Mon 26 Aug, 2013 5:17 pm

wayno wrote:the ratings for moisture permeability come out of laboratories in conditions that may seldom be achieved in the real world...
in the real world you can still end up with zero air permeability on the most moisture permeable fabrics,, dwr has to keep working well.
moisture permeability is affected by temperature and humidity and some of the ratings they get can be as a result of subjecting the material to wind, so no wind and you won't achieve the rating...

All good points, and further to my advice that MVTR ratings of any sort should be basically ignored. Much better off using common sense and logic and (ancedotal) evidence (i.e. from people who've used it).

wayno wrote:i've used event in circumstances where there was no sign of moisture permeability.
I'm not sure eVent would ever transmit enough air for you to actually feel it. I think you'd feel more like a slightly chilled feeling in high wind.
Joomy

Postby wayno » Mon 26 Aug, 2013 5:55 pm

i wouldnt totally ignore MVTR ratings, when you have similarly designed garments with MVTR of 3000 and garments in the tens of thousands then in general you are going to notice some difference in the performance of the garment at least some of the time and extensive reviews are consistent with that being the case... but with the garments up around the top end of the scale the differnces are less noticeable between them if at all... in the right conditions i find event and neoshell are better than gore tex in keeping down the sweat buildup
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nq111 » Thu 29 Aug, 2013 6:32 pm

Joomy wrote:[I'm not sure eVent would ever transmit enough air for you to actually feel it. I think you'd feel more like a slightly chilled feeling in high wind.

I can feel a slight breeze through my eVent shell - no doubt about it.
nq111

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Thu 29 Aug, 2013 6:36 pm

depends on the windspeed... it lets though a percentage of air so at some point you feel the air assuming you dont have a lot of insulation underneath...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby forest » Thu 12 Sep, 2013 7:02 pm

I'll let you all know what I think when mine arrives. Yes that's right I couldn't help myself and ordered one. Brother in law is working in the states at the moment and purchasing gear with no international postage is just too tempting. Stucks that the dollar isn't as strong but it had to happen.

forest

Postby Supertramp » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 8:08 pm

I'm sure you will be more than happy with it :)
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:22 pm

Oops , I've just ordered one too....but I was primarily interested in a larger Cuben tarp....the jacket and double sided cuben tape just somehow "slipped" onto my order...........wife's in Europe with second daughter, so I don't think she'll be looking at credit card statement anytime soon! Not that she does normally.....unless I ask about an aberrant entry, in which case there's normally some outdoor gear purchase of mine just underneath it!

Not sure about the colour- my most likely use will be as a rain jacket for fly fishing.....white not so good, unless standing on a high bank with white clouds behind......does anyone know whether you can dye cuben fiber?

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Strider » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:36 pm

andrewa wrote:does anyone know whether you can dye cuben fiber?

Isn't it dyneema fibres in a mylar base (i.e. plastic in plastic)? I doubt it.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:48 pm

The Dyneema rope I bought for my hammock suspension from Whitfords (boat shop) was dark grey. That would be a miles better colour for a jacket. My Zpacks hexamid is mid grey. Why des this jkt have to be white???! Maybe a perfect Aussie SAS jkt for winter ops??

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby simonm » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:12 pm

Dyneema is a brand name. The fibre is UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethelene). Cuben Fibre can be bought in just about any colour you want.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby simonm » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:19 pm

Sorry I meant to add I think the general concensus is that Cuben cannot be dyed after the manufacturing process.

I also notice that Cubic Tech do actually refer to Dyneema Fibres being used so ignore my pointless point in the previous post.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby forest » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 7:25 am

My cuben eVent jacket arrived yesterday.

It's really light................... :lol: :lol:

forest

Postby wayno » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 7:26 am

no excuses now for not walking even further..... 8)
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby forest » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 7:28 am

Knew you would bite Wayno, not even 30 seconds..... Your a shocker.
I'm just uploading some pics from my phone now on the fabric.
Last edited by forest on Fri 04 Oct, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

forest

Postby forest » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 8:12 am

Okay so my first post was really just a test to see how quickly Wayno took the bait........like 30 seconds so no suprised there :oops:
Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Now the jacket, It's everything I hoped for but actual testing in the field will prove more than my lounge room inspections.
I ordered a size large with pit zips but with a 36" long zipper (which is the 4" longer torso length of the XL). This was not because I'm really lanky but I wanted more upper leg coverage and get a little tired of "raincoats" that only just make my belt line in some cases (And I'm only 5'11"). The length I am very happy with, the additional length gives me coverage to about 5-6" above my knees so it's pretty long which is awesome for the weight. Ah the weight, mine is 160g but that's with the extra length, long pit zips and I had Joe add a little buckle set-up to hold my hood rolled up as I often wear a waterproof broad brinmed hat and don't use the hood (much cooler).
The fabric is super thin and not like anything I have seen before. I have attached pictures of a light shinning down through the fabric to show what I mean, and a picture of the OR Hellium II fabric for comparison. Just my thoughts but this jacket should breath really well, the figures state it should. The fabric looks the same to me inside and out and is just covered in all these small perferations or holes, how this is three layer is beyond me, it's super thin but it feels strong. It's not a coat I would purposefully take for heavy off track use but I'd say it would take more punishment than you would expect as I have found out with other cuben fibre gear I have. DWR is excellent under the usual sink test, nothing sticks to it that's for sure but it's not the same as actual field use. Time will tell that. It also rolls down very small as one would expect for the weight. Workmanship is excellent and some of the best I have seen from the cottage guys. Zpacks sure is getting better and better each item I purchase. There's some sewn like the lower hem and cuffs, some micro sealed seams looking job, I cannot even pick that out other than there is clearly a join in the fabric and there is also some small reinforced area's with clear cuben tape like the drawcords etc. The cut of the jacket is pretty basic but I have ordered a size that will allow me to layer my puffy jacket/vest (Even together) underneath without compression. I could have ordered my correct size which is a medium and I'm 2" under the chest measurement on zpacks dimensions for that. But I always go a bit larger with my shells to allow layering and a little more airflow.

It will be interesteing to see how this one goes. I guess you could say it's no huge weight saving over my current UL shell which is an OR Hellium II (182g). Time will tell but experience has taught me that pit zips can be invaluble for me as I cook up a storm in even the lightest shells without them when highly active, I might never find that ballance though. eVent jackets have been the most breathable for me to date though. I have picked up those pit zips for less weight and also I'd say near to 10" of length in the jacket. Keeping a dry ars$ when out and about with no shell pants, that's gotta count for something, again for less weight. Compared to my other great shell (Arc'Teryx Theta SL) coat which has pit zips and a longer torso length than normal (But at least 6" shorter than the zpacks) this seems a winner for the trails and tracks. Compared to my Arc'Teryx with equal features this coat weighs a massive 250g less, okay the Arc'Teryx has pockets which this doesn't but that's no huge deal to me.
Breathablility will be a big tester. I'm going on a 37km trail run tomorrow in Barrintopn Tops and the jacket will be taken but the weather is looking clear so not much chnace of use. If it's chilly in the morning for our early start I might chuck it on but I can soon see the corker trail raising the body temp pretty quickly :twisted:
When I do get it out in the rain I'll give it a good test.
Attachments
Zpacks eVent Jacket Rolled Up.jpg
Zpacks eVent Jacket Rolled Up.jpg (161.19 KiB) Viewed 26164 times
Cuben eVent Fabric.jpg
Cuben eVent Fabric.jpg (198.03 KiB) Viewed 26164 times
Cuben eVent Fabric 2.jpg
Cuben eVent Fabric 2.jpg (194.62 KiB) Viewed 26164 times
OR Hellium II Fabric Inside.jpg
OR Hellium II Fabric Inside.jpg (167.98 KiB) Viewed 26164 times

forest

Postby wayno » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 8:42 am

doesnt look like any event 3 layer membrane i've seen before, normaly you cant tell the difference between event and normal gore tex three layer (non Proshell) with the nylon tricot knitted backer...... looks more like a 2.5
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Pongo » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 10:58 am

May I ask what this bad boy set you back?
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers

Postby forest » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 12:02 pm

Pongo wrote:May I ask what this bad boy set you back?

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

forest

Postby Supertramp » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 5:56 pm

The zpacks jacket I have is a very different looking material to that.
Makes me want to but the new jacket!!
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joomy » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 11:45 pm

That fabric is bonkers looking. Seems to me like they've almost inverted a "1.5 layer" eVent fabric, with the coating on the outside and the eVent on the inside, all stuck to a layer of Dyneema fibres in the middle. Maybe?

Must .resist urge to purchase one.
Joomy

Postby wayno » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 4:37 am

another review here makes a bit of mention about the layer construction

http://jwboutdoors.com/zpacks-waterproo ... in-jacket/

I ask Joe Valesko (owner of Zpacks) what I was looking at and he described those dots as a lighter weight material that water vapor could more easily pass through. I am guessing that these dots are the key element that gives this fabric such a high MVTR compared to all other materials out at present time.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby forest » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 6:51 am

Joomy wrote:That fabric is bonkers looking. Seems to me like they've almost inverted a "1.5 layer" eVent fabric, with the coating on the outside and the eVent on the inside, all stuck to a layer of Dyneema fibres in the middle. Maybe?

Must .resist urge to purchase one.

Just to clear this up I can see how they claim three layer. That dotted face fabric is on both sides of the jacket. It's not like other shells I have owned and played with that have a inner and outer side. This looks the same both inside and outside. But there is definately another layer of something in between the fabrics. I must say though it's thin enough to pass as a single layer jacket........
No use on Saturday, It was stinkin hot !!

forest

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking