Headlamp

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Headlamp

Postby Strider » Fri 06 Sep, 2013 10:28 pm

The photos on the left are an excellent comparison between a [faux] H51F and a H502

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Joomy » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 10:25 pm

H52w and H52Fw now available for pre-order!!(!)

These things look insane! Compared to the H51F the power is about a third greater and the run times are about a third to 50% longer. 7.5 hrs/47 lumens compared to 8 hrs/28 lumens. H52Fw has the same 90 degree diffused beam as the H51F. And all from a single, rechargeable 2000mah Eneloop AA. Well, I know what I'm getting...
Joomy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Strider » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 10:35 pm

No Cool White though :(

Make sure you add a GITD holder to your order too. Simply awesome for locating your headtorch in the dark!

Do you have a suitable charger for Eneloops? It is quite the hidden cost if you're not expecting it.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joomy » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 2:05 pm

Strider wrote:No Cool White though :(

Make sure you add a GITD holder to your order too. Simply awesome for locating your headtorch in the dark!

Do you have a suitable charger for Eneloops? It is quite the hidden cost if you're not expecting it.

Not yet but I can get 4 batteries plus a fast charger for 40 bucks so that's not too bad for a one off cost. I didn't order a GITD headband but yeah probably should have.
Joomy

Postby Strider » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 3:44 pm

All good. They are only a couple of bucks with free shipping from ZL.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joomy » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 10:37 pm

So they are! Cool so a rechargeable super bright lightweight headlamp with lots of brightness control that glows in the dark for a little over $100. Pretty happy.
Joomy

Postby Strider » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 11:36 pm

You won't regret it! I love good quality gear and ZL is at the top of my list :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joomy » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 12:36 pm

November 15 estimated shipping date, although ZL are notorious for delays I've heard.
Joomy

Postby Strider » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 12:37 pm

Joomy wrote:November 15 estimated shipping date, although ZL are notorious for delays I've heard.

Sounds like you went for standard postage rather than EMS?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mountain Rocket » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 1:04 pm

Strider wrote:Sounds like you went for standard postage rather than EMS?

Shipping date not arrival date?
Mountain Rocket

Region: Tasmania

Postby Joomy » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 5:09 pm

Strider wrote:
Joomy wrote:November 15 estimated shipping date, although ZL are notorious for delays I've heard.

Sounds like you went for standard postage rather than EMS?

My understanding is that it's not available yet. I placed a pre-order.
Joomy

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 7:46 pm

new Petzl reactives coming out any day.
Nothing wrong with the storm - excellent usablility, waterproof, and great settings. I own one, amongst about 10 others.
Maybe the new USB lights are better?
Zebra are boss- just do the research.
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none
Region: New South Wales

Postby Joomy » Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:25 am

KANANGRABOYD wrote:new Petzl reactives coming out any day.

Also November I believe.

For a long time I thought I wanted a Tikka RXP but now that I've found the H52 I'm happy with the decision pending actual physical testing. The RXP is definitely interesting in that it has an in-built high capacity Li-Ion battery. But the reactive lighting still seems unnecessary to me and all the circuitry involved to make it work seems to significantly reduce the battery life. The longest listed output for the RXP is something under 10hrs and that's in max economy mode, and being a bespoke Li-Ion battery you can't just change it out to replace it, unless you bring along the optional battery pack, but then it's just a regular AAA powered head lamp. Plus they are bulky and heavy compared to most other head torches and certainly compared to the ZL.
Last edited by Joomy on Mon 28 Oct, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joomy

Postby forest » Sun 27 Oct, 2013 7:09 pm

I'll chime in and add another ZL vote. Once you get one you will just, well you'll get it. Easy user friendly interface and awesome battery life. I've sold all my non ZL headlamps except my spike light V3 but that's a whole different category of Headlight. I've had petzl, BD, LEDlendser etc. All gone or dead now, replaced with the initial odd looking and revered Zebralights.
I'm very tempted to add a H52FW to my stash. Loving my warm/neutral tint lights, that was a plung to but the warm is so much better IMO in the bush. Im using the Flood of the 52 for personal justification as honestly my H31 is pretty hard to leave at home on a bushwalking trip. Rechargeable 14500's are a drawcard for frequent use around home too.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Postby Travis22 » Sun 27 Oct, 2013 9:36 pm

Ive had a strong love hate relationship with Zebralight since my first light of theirs.

The design and user interface is spot on, but the quality control and customer service to international customers like ourselves is pathetic.

I caved in just last week and bought another Zebralight - from a trusted American seller (Ill never buy direct from them again) and despite them checking the light out prior to shipping and sending one of the better examples had the light been available for local inspection id have passed on it. I purchased the light for a week long rafting trip next week so ive opted to keep the light but once again it re affirms my beliefs that they have a great design but either terrible QC or their standards are pretty low. My new light is the H502W.

Travis.

edited to add: The H52Fw would have been my first choice but given the light was required for an upcoming trip i went with the H502W. Ive never had such a floody light before, im sure it will be fantastic around camp but i think ill find myself wanting to bring another flashlight along for some distance work.
Travis22

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 27 Oct, 2013 11:29 pm

Travis, what's the quality issue you encountered? After reading through, I couldn't work out the problem you had. My unit came through ZL without any problem and the quality is a quantum leap above those DX.com units.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 9:40 am

GPSGuided, ive had a few Zebralights; problems ive encountered are:

Errors in the programing, the light doesnt function as it should.
Terrible Machining, machining marks, off center battery screw cap & poor anodizing.
Bad artifacts, doughnut hole in beams. Inconsistent colour temperatures.
Fingerprints / smudges on the LED domes.

Very very poor communication when shipping blows out to over a couple of months. No communication when lights are returned for warranty - expect to be without it for 3-4months.

I dare say the H502W will be my last Zebralight. Ive said it before and got sucked back in by the awesome user interface and exceptional run times but i always feel let down once again when the new light arrives.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby Joomy » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 9:45 pm

Travis22 wrote:GPSGuided, ive had a few Zebralights; problems ive encountered are:

Errors in the programing, the light doesnt function as it should.
Terrible Machining, machining marks, off center battery screw cap & poor anodizing.
Bad artifacts, doughnut hole in beams. Inconsistent colour temperatures.
Fingerprints / smudges on the LED domes.

Very very poor communication when shipping blows out to over a couple of months. No communication when lights are returned for warranty - expect to be without it for 3-4months.

I dare say the H502W will be my last Zebralight. Ive said it before and got sucked back in by the awesome user interface and exceptional run times but i always feel let down once again when the new light arrives.

Travis.

Well that's a worry but fingers crossed I'll get one from a decent batch.
Joomy

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 9:49 pm

Travis22 wrote:GPSGuided, ive had a few Zebralights; problems ive encountered are:...

Travis, I have to say that you must have won the Lotto! Ouch, that's a long list that I am glad to have completely missed. Wait, let me examine my ZL again... :wink:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mountain Rocket » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 1:49 am

As a person who has ordered at least four Zebralights I can also say that I have not encountered any of the aforementioned problems.
Mountain Rocket

Region: Tasmania

Postby forest » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 6:52 am

Yep I've had my hands on three ZL's with no issues (two were presents).

I just ordered a 4th, couldn't resist a H52FW to add in my light box......
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Postby Travis22 » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 10:28 am

*&%$#! hell just typed a reply and lost it all with some unknown keyboard shortcut i assume.

Ok, in brief im extremely fussy. OCD for sure. Generally when i point out a complaint (with good photos, measurements with verniers etc) with an item i get a bunch of replies "oh mines the same, i never noticed that" etc...
Ive had a lot of lights. Ive spent up to $1500 on a single custom Titanium flashlight in the passed (in another life - no mortgage, no wife no kids... i have all them now so also never again).

Zebralight IMO have more then their fair share of complaints on the flashlight forums (CPF etc.) My experiences are far from out of the ordinary over there.
Anyone tested their H502 series lights waterproof rating... Few horror stories again on CPF, i dont want to know but given ill be spending the next week in a raft ill have to bite the bullet with mine and make sure its properly sealed before i go.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 10:40 am

Travis22 wrote:*&%$#! hell just typed a reply and lost it all with some unknown keyboard shortcut i assume...

The Lord has spoken and you need to take heed! :wink:

I am just wondering if your experience (in terms of QC aspect) was just an unlucky dip. Maybe they have just had a manufacturing re-organization or whatever, one that can happen to all manufactured products. But yes, QC certainly went off guard in your case example.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby philm » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 7:22 am

Looking at the Zebralight web site there are a few dfifferent models H52, H52W, H52FW

Can someone explain the difference and recommend the best model for bushwalking?
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Strider » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 8:31 am

F = Floods
W = Warm White
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 8:32 am

Floody - stupid Tapatalk won't let me edit!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joomy » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 4:22 pm

Travis22 wrote:Ive spent up to $1500 on a single custom Titanium flashlight in the passed (in another life - no mortgage, no wife no kids... i have all them now so also never again).

You talking about expensive or the the wife and kids? =D

Travis22 wrote:Zebralight IMO have more then their fair share of complaints on the flashlight forums (CPF etc.) My experiences are far from out of the ordinary over there.
Anyone tested their H502 series lights waterproof rating... Few horror stories again on CPF, i dont want to know but given ill be spending the next week in a raft ill have to bite the bullet with mine and make sure its properly sealed before i go.

That's the problem with these enthusiast forums, you get hyper-educated about the gear and start spotting problems that the average user would never know or care about. :oops:
Last edited by Joomy on Thu 31 Oct, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joomy

Postby Joomy » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 4:23 pm

But FYI philm not all the "floody" ones are the same "floodiness". Some are 120 degrees some are 90 degrees. 120 to me seems crazy for a hiking light.
Joomy

Postby philm » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 6:12 pm

So H52 for general bushwalking use may be the best option?
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Travis22 » Wed 30 Oct, 2013 8:23 pm

H52 if you plan on walking around with the light over some distance for some time. (Personally id rather use a hand held flashlight for walking over some distance at night) The H52 for me would be a bit of a compromise, its a good option if you only want one light when out on a trip but personally id rather 2.

H502 if you plan on using the light 90% of the time in and around camp. Ideally this headlight would be supported with a flashlight for use when you want to illuminate things at a distance.

Travis
Travis22

PreviousNext

Return to Ultralight backpacking