Headlamp

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Headlamp

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 20 May, 2014 6:28 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Being a cyclist and knowing how bike lighting is discussed on those forums - Yes, it would have been so funny.

I'm a cyclist, Just getting back into it, Used to ride Road Bikes and race. I purchased a Mountain Bike, planning on doing some Bike Camping.

I believe my H600 is 1000L
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 20 May, 2014 6:49 pm

Is there some synergy b/n bushwalking and cycling? I am a roadie and used to race too. Prefer to walk amongst the trees than riding at speed b/n them. :)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 26 May, 2014 2:15 pm

Received my H52fw today and I have a question regarding the remaining battery level. It says "Battery capacity indicator (LED flashes 1-4 times, 4 short clicks to start)" so does it flash once when the battery is at full power and four times when nearly drained or vice versa? I'm sure it'll become evident once I've owned it for more than an hour but I need to know now :wink:

It seems like a well built little light and I love the ability to turn on the lowest setting first. All lights should have this option!
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby byrnesy8 » Mon 26 May, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi Phan_TOM

Where did you buy the zebra light?
byrnesy8
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby phan_TOM » Tue 27 May, 2014 6:53 am

Straight from zebralight http://www.zebralight.com/

There was back order when I placed the order but it didn't take as long as I thought it would. I ordered it on the 22nd April, it shipped on the 6th May and arrived on the 26th
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM

Postby Joomy » Tue 27 May, 2014 9:59 pm

FWIW still loving my H52Fw. Took it in an 8-hour cave and it (just) did the whole thing on 1 Eneloop AA. Mine was by far the brightest light among the group and it was great having the extra oomph when you needed it. Most of the time I used it on medium-1 (47 lumens).
Joomy

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Travis22 » Fri 30 May, 2014 10:04 pm

Ok well I'm hopeless I couldn't help myself - I've bought another Zebralight.

Just ordered the H52w direct from ZL last night. Got a shipping notice this morning which was quite a surprise as I didn't think it would ship for 2-4weeks given it's "back ordered" status on their website.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby Travis22 » Fri 30 May, 2014 10:15 pm

Joomy wrote:FWIW still loving my H52Fw. Took it in an 8-hour cave and it (just) did the whole thing on 1 Eneloop AA. Mine was by far the brightest light among the group and it was great having the extra oomph when you needed it. Most of the time I used it on medium-1 (47 lumens).

I mounted one of my SC600w's and the H502w on my caving helmet, a little overkill but a beautiful combination of lights. The SC600 is usually run on medium 2 and the H502w on high 2. I did consider mounting 2 SC600's but thought that would be getting a little silly ;)

Travis.
Travis22

Postby Bubbalouie » Fri 30 May, 2014 10:19 pm

Travis22 wrote:Ok well I'm hopeless I couldn't help myself - I've bought another Zebralight.

Just ordered the H52w direct from ZL last night. Got a shipping notice this morning which was quite a surprise as I didn't think it would ship for 2-4weeks given it's "back ordered" status on their website.

Travis.

They're a nice little head lamp, and about the only one I've seen that's good for running a decent distance with. Without the H52 there's no way I'd be running between 1830 & 1900 during winter.

Even my other half agrees that my old zebra light destroys her Fenix lamp for moving quickly.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Travis22 » Mon 02 Jun, 2014 2:26 pm

OMG, i cannot believe it i just had a knock at the door and it was the courier bloke with my Zebralight H52W!

That is by far quite different from the last time i purchased from them and the light - which was listed as in stock took some 2 months to arrive!

I ordered the light at 1:30AM Friday morning and its in my hand at 2:15PM Monday morning.... simply incredible. (Shipping method was EMS from China).

My H52 is the same 'NEW' ribbed body shape, the same as the new one Shurik received here:

shurik wrote:Yeah, not a small change.
Here is what it looks like with the strap on.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby kitty » Sat 21 Jun, 2014 12:51 pm

Someone asked about the bounciness of the zebralight headlamp.
I thread the band on my H502w like this in the picture below - the elastic sits flatter against the bevelled edge on the rubber mount.
For me this is more comfortable than the typical way to thread it and it is not bouncy (for camp - I have not tried running with it).
There are different ways to thread the elastic so it is good to experiment.
Attachments
IMG_3348.JPG
IMG_3348.JPG (62.92 KiB) Viewed 25288 times
IMG_3349.JPG
IMG_3349.JPG (34.96 KiB) Viewed 25288 times
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Strider » Sat 21 Jun, 2014 1:02 pm

Yep me too. Only way to do it!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPPJ » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 12:25 pm

My ZL 52Fw was sent 12june and arrived 24jun. When I went thru the ZL website, the unit was listed as back order -no biggie- but the ordering page... I couldn't work the shipping fee at the order subtotal. It kept resetting to zero shipping. Perhaps I mucked it up.
Anyway I paid US64 for the torch and apparently the shipping must be free.
With a Lithium AA and the headband included, my digiscales say the 52Fw weighs between 68 and 70 grams.

As mentioned, the switching setup = very functional/ minimalist.
Ross
GPPJ
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 12:57 pm

Free shipping world wide on orders >$50.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 1:00 pm

On the ZL head strap rubber there's a horizontal slot. Anyone know what's being used for? I assume it's there to thread an over the top of head elastic for improved anchorage. I just have not seen it being used.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPPJ » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 1:19 pm

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:Free shipping world wide on orders >$50.

Ok. Well they didn't put that in a big enough font for me... maybe Aldi coffee is not that good...
Ross
GPPJ
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 2:17 pm

GPSGuided wrote:On the ZL head strap rubber there's a horizontal slot. Anyone know what's being used for? I assume it's there to thread an over the top of head elastic for improved anchorage. I just have not seen it being used.

Yeah I bought an extra headband to try this out but found it to be an annoyance. Maybe if the light was heavier it would be useful.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 2:29 pm

Yes, I am not seeing stability problems either with the default head band.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dplanet » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 4:20 pm

GPPJ wrote:

Ok. Well they didn't put that in a big enough font for me... maybe Aldi coffee is not that good...

Same here. Have to wear computer glasses. Also faced some difficulty to read the letters and numbers on maps and gps with the distance glasses on my recent bush walk.
dplanet

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 4:44 pm

Argh! Presbyopia is giving me the pains these days. Don't remind me! Forget sunnies. A pair of reading glasses will come in a lot more handy soon (or now).
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dplanet » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 5:26 pm

I don't carry the reading glasses with me on a bushwalk. The bi-focal lenses are the ones needed.
dplanet

Postby Travis22 » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 5:43 pm

GPPJ wrote:My ZL 52Fw was sent 12june and arrived 24jun. When I went thru the ZL website, the unit was listed as back order -no biggie- but the ordering page... I couldn't work the shipping fee at the order subtotal. It kept resetting to zero shipping. Perhaps I mucked it up.
Anyway I paid US64 for the torch and apparently the shipping must be free.
With a Lithium AA and the headband included, my digiscales say the 52Fw weighs between 68 and 70 grams.

As mentioned, the switching setup = very functional/ minimalist.

When you put in your payment details and proceed, you are correct, it resets the postage to the free method. If you want to use an express service you need to once again select the method then click make payment or whatever it's called. Must be a glitch in the system, it's caught me out before the first time I bought a ZL.

Congrats on the new light. Is yours one of the original lights with the smooth surface along the battery tube section or is it the new ribbed design?

When you say lithium AA, do you mean a lithium 14500 cell? If it's is a lithium cell then it must be a 14500 - make sure you are aware of the charging requirements etc for these batteries, they are nothing like an AA rechargeable and cannot be recharged with a standard AAA/AA charger, you need a lithium battery charger.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby Travis22 » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 5:48 pm

GPSGuided wrote:On the ZL head strap rubber there's a horizontal slot. Anyone know what's being used for? I assume it's there to thread an over the top of head elastic for improved anchorage. I just have not seen it being used.

Yeh, the overhead strap comes standard on the 18650 battery headlamps (and they do not get a pocket clip).

IMO they are not very comfortable and I would only utilise the top strap when in use on a caving helmet etc.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby Strider » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 6:20 pm

I think GPPJ means a Lithium primary Travis. Not Li-ion.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 9:34 pm

Travis22 wrote:

Yeh, the overhead strap comes standard on the 18650 battery headlamps (and they do not get a pocket clip).

IMO they are not very comfortable and I would only utilise the top strap when in use on a caving helmet etc.

Travis.

Don't agree with your assumption on the top strap. I find this to be the most comfortable headstrap I have ever worn by a long shot, I couldnt be more happy with it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 9:55 pm

Its certainly comfortable Phil, just cumbersome and unnecessarily awkward to take on and off.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 10:01 pm

Thats true. It is a bit cumbersome to take off, particularly if you let your hair grow.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasben » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 11:49 pm

Another option.. Spark ST5-190NW .. The white version is brighter but this option with better colour rendition is better for me.. Single AA, can use standard batteries, ni-cad, NiMH or 3.7 V rechargeable Li Ion for way more light power! Spot or Flood.. Whole range of features, did lots of research and chose this over zebralight and it's awesome!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... 1xAA-14500)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!
tasben
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby dplanet » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 1:30 pm

GPPJ wrote:

Recently saw the coffee.
dplanet

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking