Summer without a sleeping bag or tent?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Summer without a sleeping bag or tent?

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 11 Oct, 2013 1:11 pm

Nicely explained Mark, I actually use the same system but heavier of course, pardon my misinterpretation.
Interestingly it's my legs that normally loose the most heat and why i have been a lifelong fan of half bags
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ErichFromm » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 11:33 am

wayno wrote:you have to pick your clothes carefully to get the same warmth as a sleeping bag,
most down clothes are stitch through construction with cold spots. down bags usually have baffled compartment, eliminating cold spots. generally sleeping bags give you better warmth for weight, that few hundred grams of bag can make a big difference in warmth... so you might be hot in a sleeping bag in summer , but ditching it isnt as simple as it seems.... if you think you'll just throw on a couple of items of clothes and a bivy bag to make up for it you may find you still don't get comparable warmth....

I can confirm this. Went hiking just at the tail end of winter a few years ago - took a female friend and of course let her use my sleeping bag. I tried to make up for not having a sleeping bag with layers of merino, polypro and a down jacket: none of it worked as well as the bag. My theory? With a bag you trap the combined heat coming from all over your body whereas the clothing only trapped each individual body part - there was no "accumulated" heat....

i was okay and warm enough - but did show how a bag cannot easily be replaced....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby davidf » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 4:18 pm

I recently went down a part of the snowy river using a 0• Synthetic roman bag, inner sheet, long self inflating mat that was cactus and a packraft.

Most nights windy so used the boat as a cuddly wuind break under the tarp.

One night warm and buggy. Thermals, inner and bushmans to fight the ticks. Go sleep post 1am.

One less than perfect night. Given a preference I'd prefer this.

Even a small sheet of whatever is a good bet I reckon for a good sleep. I,ve experimented sleeping in just clothes a bit with little positive success except when the goal has been great.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking