Ul pot descisions.

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Ul pot descisions.

Postby icefest » Fri 11 Oct, 2013 11:58 pm

I'm looking at getting a new pot and wouldn't mind some advice.

I have several choices.

#1 (82g)
-----850ml ti pot with CF lid from RutaLocura (identical to the MLD pot)
Pro
---Lighter
Cons
---Single person, fuel inefficient

#2 (130g)
-----1300ml ti pot with ti lid from Evernew
Pro
---possible 2p, fuel efficient, non burn handles
con
---50g heavier

#3 (~100g)
---evernew pot with foil lid or custom CF lid
No idea whom to ask for a custom lid.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Ul pot descisions.

Postby Mark F » Sat 12 Oct, 2013 10:52 am

I find a 900ml pot is adequate for 2 but 1300ml seems to be the preferred size. I modded my 900ml Evernew ECA265 by replacing the handles with a bale handle saving 17 g and made a lid from reflectix which only weighs 3 g and fits in the rim lip. The pot now weighs 69 g or 93 g with pot cosy. The reflectix lid is remarkably durable having survived 30 odd days and easily and cheaply replaceable. You need to cut it about 5mm larger diameter than the inside of the lip as it will shrink slightly after the first couple of uses. It also acts as the top of the cosy.

The same mods are possible with the Evernew ECA253 1300ml and many other Evernew models. It works best with pots that have a lip to support the lid. I will post a photo later.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Joomy » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 9:34 pm

Not sure why but my GF and I can barely make do with a 2L pot for meals, but if 1.3L works for you then +50g isn't much really and yeah you can reduce that margin with lid mods.
Joomy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orion » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 3:43 am

I'm the same way, a 2 liter pot is what we use. A 900ml or even 1.3L pot would necessitate cooking differently.

A little heavier maybe? My 2L aluminum pot weighs 120g with a foil lid, although it also requires a pot grabber.
I haven't seen a 2L pot that is significantly lighter but then I haven't looked for one recently.

For solo cooking I use a 700ml aluminum pot that weighs 28g with a foil lid, no grabber required.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Supertramp » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 5:45 pm

Orion wrote:For solo cooking I use a 700ml aluminum pot that weighs 28g with a foil lid, no grabber required.

I've never found anything that comes close to that weight.
What brand & where can I get one?
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby forest » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 6:48 pm

Supertramp wrote:
Orion wrote:For solo cooking I use a 700ml aluminum pot that weighs 28g with a foil lid, no grabber required.

Might be a beer or fosters can job, That's the only thing I have seen that's close in weight to 28g. Would be pretty flimsy though.

Icefest I'd think hard about what stove combo you will use this new pot with.
I've always matched my pot to a cook set that fits in it. Also I have a preference to low wide pots now as I find them more efficient with a wide base to accept the flame / heat.
Currently I have a 900ml Evernew Ti pot with a trail designs caldera cone sidewinder cook set. It's pretty compact. The 1300ml set wouldn't be much bigger and would be a better option for 2 people IMO as a minimium size.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewa » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 8:18 pm

I think you need a pot for various situations...

I have an Evernew 1300ml pot when there are 2 of us. I have a 7-800ml pot for solo trips, and I have a 2000ml billy for when there are 3-4 of us. I have 4 kids, 12-22 yo. We travel in various combinations. We therefore have gear to suit as many combinations as practical. I think the ideal pot needs to suit your position in life. My current position requires lots of gear, although I'm wrapped that 5/6 of us can wear the same telemark boots!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Orion » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 3:15 am

forest wrote:Might be a beer or fosters can job, That's the only thing I have seen that's close in weight to 28g. Would be pretty flimsy though.

Icefest I'd think hard about what stove combo you will use this new pot with.

Yes, it's a 71 cl Heineken beer can with the lid cut off.

ImageImage

Here are some additional ideas like this: http://zenstoves.net/CanPots.htm

Flimsy? I guess, but I don't use it for melting snow and it's tough enough in the pack as long as I don't stomp on it. If you want flimsy check out the aluminum foil pot on the zenstoves website. I find 700ml is a little too small for some meals and it's hard to clean if little bits stick to the bottom so I mostly just use it for heating water. For a while I was also using it as a drinking cup with silicone "hot lips" and silicone for a place to hold it, but now I carry a seperate plastic cup for food/drink. The original lid is nicer than foil although it weighs a tiny bit more (8g).

I'd love to have a similarly flimsy aluminum pot with a wider aspect ratio but nobody makes one. Why doesn't one of the UL gear manufacturers sell a pot like that? Is it because titanium is more profitable?

A side burning metho stove isn't appropriate for the Heineken can because the base is too narrow. The can requires a more concentrated flame and not too high a heat for efficiency. The SnowPeak burner pictured above works well and I imagine various metho stoves would as well.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Strider » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 7:01 am

forest wrote:
Supertramp wrote:

Might be a beer or fosters can job

Are you suggesting that Fosters isn't beer? :lol:
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 8:55 am

It's so annoying to source Ti cookwares. None of the value models sold in the US can be mail-ordered from here. The ones that can be ordered are just about price matched by local offering of bigger brands.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Joomy » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 5:16 pm

UOG have a good range of Evernew and you get VAT off plus cheap shipping generally.
Joomy

Return to Ultralight backpacking