worlds lightest rainshell claim

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

worlds lightest rainshell claim

Postby wayno » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 10:33 am

yeah i know some people might use plastic bags that are lighter
So what is a sub-100g waterproof like? The fabric, rated to 7000mm hydrostatic head - that's 'waterproof' though not as waterproof as, say, most Gore-Tex or eVent fabrics which will rate over 20,000mm, but should be 'waterproof enough' - and it's filmy light.

The face uses an exclusive 7D face fabric - lighter even than, say, Pertex Quantum GL - with a very thin PU coating. The fabric is taped at all seams while the reversed YKK zip seems to be bonded in place and it has an adjustable hood as well as a small sleeve pocket.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/ ... 11667.html
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: worlds lightest rainshell claim

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 11:48 am

wayno wrote:yeah i know some people might use plastic bags that are lighter.

Excellent idea! What would be said plastic "membrane's" rating? I have always wondered about a GladWrap solution.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewa » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 8:40 pm

I recently got one of Joe's zpacks event/cuben jkts ...not used it yet.

As I'm about to get some 0.34 Oz cuben, I could make a very very lightweight jkt, and I intend to, but it isn't going to be breathable, so I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for.

I'm planning on making this jkt for emergency use....this is so much different to a "use whilst active" type jkt.

So, it all comes down to expectations and probable use.......

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 9:14 pm

andrewa wrote:I'm planning on making this jkt for emergency use...

Why? When would you need it? Guess my question is, why not just carry a jacket? It'd be good both for regular and emergency uses. How much lighter and smaller can you get?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 2:06 am

By foresaking breathability you can have a really lightweight rainshell, quite nice if you're "probably" not going to need it.
Here's an example of rainpants that weigh 34 grams, made from the type of Cuben Andrew is getting:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... ad_id=7341
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wayno » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 6:36 am

IF YOU'RE just likely to get occasional showers if any rain at all, you could go the non breathable option.
if you're not wearing the jacket much then its dead weight most of the time so , going the most lightest road can be a good one and the performance of the jacket matters less....
my most breathable jacket is also my heaviest, its the only one i have with pit zips, i won't take it out unless i'm likely to be in sustained rain.
if the rain is going to be more sporadic then i'll go for a lighter design minus the pit zips.. they do teh job and its less dead weight.. my lightest jacket is the least breathable but it's also less dead weight in my pack...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Wed 23 Oct, 2013 6:44 am

The purpose of a very light jkt for me would be for day trips when it rains unexpectedly.- mostly when fly fishing. Even a 300g goretex alliteration jkt is comparatively bulky in a fishing vest. The Zpacks jkt is great, but white, which ain't that good for fishing. Not sure whether I can colour it. At least cuben is greyish/transparent.
A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Thu 24 Oct, 2013 5:40 am

the other option if you're just going to have the odd brief light shower is just use a windshell with DWR you know that works... be careful in particularly cold or windy weather though, you need to be pretty sure the windshsell will cope with a shower and not leave you soaked.
the rainshell reviewier on backpackinglight said a windshell did the job for him in showery conditions...
you can get windshsells as light as 45 grams like the mont bell tachyon.....
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking