mont bell plasma down jacket review

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

mont bell plasma down jacket review

Postby wayno » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 6:27 am

mont bell. plasma 1000 ultralight down jacket
you need a subscription to see the review.
its been given the "recommended" rating but they say for a few grams extra the mont bell ex light jacket is better value for money and warmer...
otherwise its a good ultralight down jacket with 1000 loft down being its main claim to fame... 136 gm

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... tveld.html
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: mont bell plasma down jacket review

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 7:13 am

I can vouch for the EX Light, its a great jacket.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Thu 07 Nov, 2013 7:52 am

yeah i've got teh ultralight jacket, essentially the ex light with heavier nylon, but it wouldnt be enough for me in conditions others find it warm enough in, some people its ok down to 0 degrees, personally at those temps i'd opt for something warmer like the mont bell mountain light jacket, only available through their japanese website or stores... but they have plenty of other jackets to choose from available in other online stores..

yeah i know what you're thinking. I'm a kiwi and i'm not that resistant to the cold. whats wrong with me.... :roll:
temps dont fluctuate that much where i live in auckland compared to where i go bushwalking.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Thu 28 Nov, 2013 9:59 am

plasma review on backpcking light now available free to non subscribers

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... 89.224.160
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking