Pack to replace Golite 70l Pinnacle

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Pack to replace Golite 70l Pinnacle

Postby Joomy » Sat 14 Dec, 2013 4:10 pm

icefest wrote:I'd be hesitant using straight cuben in the arthurs and off track, I think the hybrid would be fine though.

Prophet = 210D UHMWPE
HMG = 150D Polyester on a cuben base.

I'd say they'd approach each other in toughness, but the MLD pack can only handle 15kg but the HMG can take 25kg (but it is heavier).
I think Forest has had his Arc blast for a while and might be able to give more abrasion resistance details.

To clarify, the 210D refers to the weight/strength of the coloured Nylon fibres that make up most of the "Dyneema X" fabric. Only the white ripstop grid is actually Dyneema or UHWMPE. I'm sure you know this already but in case others are confused it is definitely not pure woven dyneema. Such fabrics exist but are rare and stupidly expensive. That said, I use a daypack I made out of Dyneema X and it's been great. I have no worries about scraping up against rocks that would destroy a sil-nylon daypack in seconds. Possibly the perfect low-cost, low-weight pack fabric (hence why I chose it).

150D polyester face fabric doesn't sound that tough when you consider "tough" nylons are 500D to 1000D or more. I definitely would not go throwing my HMG pack around on rocks too often but it would probably stand up to infrequent moderate hauling. Also being laminated to the extremely strong cuben fibre underneath would increase its overall toughness (but not its pure abrasion resistance).
Joomy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking