Cuben fiber tarp

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Cuben fiber tarp

Postby roysta » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 5:34 pm

OK, I know there's lots of stuff in here about cuben, but I'm after specific advice.
I'm returning to my roots, tarping it during the cooler months in the Blue Mountains.
I have several big tarps weighing 450g which do the job, but I'm after a rectangle cuben fiber number which is about 3 metres long and 2.5 metres wide.
Obviously I want it to be as waterproof as possible.
Z packs ?
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Cuben fiber tarp

Postby simonm » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 5:52 pm

I do know Evan at Terra Rosa Gear made a Cuben tarp for Bluegum Mic recently so that is a local option.

Obviously I have a commercial bias to also recommend DIY :D .
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby sim1oz » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 5:58 pm

roysta, if you end up getting the zpacks one please post about your experiences. I'm going to the USA in July and was thinking of ordering one while I am there. I'm very keen to hear an Aussie opinion of it!
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby icefest » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 7:44 pm

If you are OK with waiting, MLD make killer equipment. I have a Cuben Trailstar and that's been impeccable.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nq111 » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 7:58 pm

I have a Maccat Tarp http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/ made up in Cuben Fiber. I notice they still don't list cuben on the website but worth an email because that was also the case when I bought mine.

No complaints on mine - light, tough, tensions really well with the cat curves. The guy who makes them studied engineering and I believe also did some postgraduate studies in engineering specifically about tarps so has some formal cred (as well as general kudos) for his designs.
nq111

Region: Queensland

Postby oyster_07 » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 8:03 pm

I have a Z-Packs cuben flat tarp that is 8.5' x 8.5' (2.5m x 2.5m). I added additional tie-outs too. It is a great tarp and at that size can be set up in a huge array of forms. (there is a good link on the Z-Packs website on this). Also, with the flexibility to set up accordingly, the degree of protection afforded is significant.

I also have the Z-Packs cuben/pertex bivy (with mesh hood) and also their bug-bivy for those warmer nights.

The Z-Packs gear is well made and Joe is more than keen to customise. I give the Z-Packs options the thumbs up.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 8:04 pm

Well there you go, those responses should make your decision a lot easier :lol:
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby roysta » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 8:50 pm

They have indeed, Oyster's advice appeared sound so I ordered the exact same one he has, 8'5"x 8'.5".
roysta

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:12 am

I have a 7 ' x 9 ', and wish I'd have got one slightly wider. What you've ordered sounds good.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby roysta » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 2:19 pm

sim1oz wrote:roysta, if you end up getting the zpacks one please post about your experiences. I'm going to the USA in July and was thinking of ordering one while I am there. I'm very keen to hear an Aussie opinion of it!

I'll get a few overnighters in with this tarp through May and June, so will let you know sim1oz.
roysta

Postby roysta » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 8:54 pm

Actually further to this, I ordered a groundsheet as well.
280g for a tarp and groundsheet has to beat my lightest other option (1200g).
Frankly I would only use this pairing in the Blue Mountains in the cooler months.
In warmer months I would tent or hammock.
roysta

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 1:04 pm

icefest wrote:If you are OK with waiting, MLD make killer equipment. I have a Cuben Trailstar and that's been impeccable.

How do you find setting up of the cuben Trailstar, I read reports it can be a bit of a pain to setup because of lack of stretch. Pretty much all the pegs, guylines have to be spot on to get a tight pitch with Cuben. I've not had any issues with my Cuben Duomid with setup.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby photohiker » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 4:47 pm

ULWalkingPhil wrote:
icefest wrote:If you are OK with waiting, MLD make killer equipment. I have a Cuben Trailstar and that's been impeccable.

How do you find setting up of the cuben Trailstar, I read reports it can be a bit of a pain to setup because of lack of stretch. Pretty much all the pegs, guylines have to be spot on to get a tight pitch with Cuben. I've not had any issues with my Cuben Duomid with setup.

Agree. I've seen a few, and more often than not they didn't look right compared to the silnylon version. I think it comes down to the terrain and the skills of the owner...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 5:52 pm

I haven't used the silnylon one.

Getting it tight isn't too much of an issue, though I think the silnylon one would be faster. The biggest issue is the load on the pegs. I like it nice and tight.

I don't usually take photos of it but here are a couple that I found.

PB High Camp http://puu.sh/7UcWo.jpg
High Moor: http://puu.sh/7Ud73.jpg

I've set it up on a steep hillside in a forest which was difficult but worked. (I suspect I was somewhat hypoglycaemic and exhausted and that was why it was hard)
http://puu.sh/7Udde.jpg
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 8:56 pm

icefest wrote:PB High Camp http://puu.sh/7UcWo.jpg
High Moor: http://puu.sh/7Ud73.jpg

Those would be the best pitches of a cuben trailstar I have seen. The hillside one, not so much but difficult terrain...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roysta » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 8:37 pm

Will be testing out the Z Packs Tarp for the first time this week.
The Solo Plus groundsheet is a beauty.
It works.
roysta

Postby andrewa » Sat 19 Apr, 2014 10:34 pm

I used my Z packs tarp in NZ last month. It was great.....but practically not much different to any other tarp, except for the weight savings.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Return to Ultralight backpacking