Tenkara fly fishing

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Tenkara fly fishing

Postby icefest » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 10:17 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenkara_fishing

With the recent post about fly fishing on BLP, I've started considering it.

It seems you can get a decent rod, line, and a couple of flies for less than 200g.

While I might not use it all the time it seems an interesting addition to carry, especially with the amount of trout I saw when wading around Lake Pdder...

Has anyone here tried using it in Australia/NZ?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Tenkara fly fishing

Postby Ellobuddha » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 7:32 am

Looks like an interesting way to fish.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZm47dlTa9A
Ellobuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tony » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 8:15 am

icefest wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenkara_fishing

With the recent post about fly fishing on BLP, I've started considering it.

It seems you can get a decent rod, line, and a couple of flies for less than 200g.

While I might not use it all the time it seems an interesting addition to carry, especially with the amount of trout I saw when wading around Lake Pdder...

Has anyone here tried using it in Australia/NZ?

Hi Icefest,

I have been using one for years, very good in small streams, not the best for catching big trout, I did not like the braided line that came with my rod and I use some traditional western type line.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby andrewa » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 8:55 am

Not used one, but look good for small streams. I'd rather have a "normal" fly outfit - a rod, reel, line and small box of flies is not that heavy.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 11:26 am

Patagonia also into Tenkara? Sure does look convenient and a potentially great way to supplement camp meals. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMwNLB6DOoQ
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 12:29 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Patagonia also into Tenkara? Sure does look convenient and a potentially great way to supplement camp meals. :D
It's so light. Just replacing one meal pays for itself in weight.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 12:32 pm

Yes, I noted that. Just 100g with an eBay model. Would you believe, you are getting me interested in fishing for only the second time in my life. Last was when I was 12 years old.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 12:48 pm

I never really got into fishing at all - I think I'm changing my mind right now though...

I'm currently thinking how to best hide a rod in one of my hiking poles, which can then hopefully be used instead of the handle - and as a carrying case.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 1:07 pm

icefest wrote:I never really got into fishing at all - I think I'm changing my mind right now though...

Don't worry, my lifetime catch is exactly 0LB. Got interested at the age of 12 but never caught anything. Interest died very quickly at that time. :lol:

For the size and weight of it, just stick it into the backpack. Additional weight in a hiking pole (or should that be bushwalking pole) is not desirable.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 4:13 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Patagonia also into Tenkara? Sure does look convenient and a potentially great way to supplement camp meals. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMwNLB6DOoQ

Keyword suppliment.
I've been fly fishing since I was 14 (nudging 60) and have caught plenty of trout in doing so.
A very important thing to remember is that the likelyhood of catching a fish is inversely
proportional to the need. If you don't need a fish you'll be tripping over them so to speak but
if you do and your really hungry............ :roll: :(
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 4:50 pm

Another excuse not to walk very far in a day and much lighter than a camera. :roll:
If you use Ruta Locura walking poles you can get a tenkara rod that uses the walking pole top section adding 40 grams + line and flys.
http://www.rutalocura.com/Tenkara.html
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 5:48 pm

That's it, I'll just fish with a stiff hiking pole! Zero additional weight.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 6:33 pm

Hmmm......you might do better just wacking them with the pole GPS :lol:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 6:35 pm

neilmny wrote:Hmmm......you might do better just wacking them with the pole GPS :lol:

With your guidance, I think I'll just add a sharp point and turn it into a spear instead. Spear fishing might generate a better yield for me. :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Supertramp » Thu 01 May, 2014 8:49 pm

I have a Pflueger Patriarch 9525 reel (weighs 156grams) this is matched to an Innovator designs Nitro 007, 2-4kg 6 piece rod (not sure what it weighs, but would be under 90-100 grams easily).

It's not as lightweight as the Tenkara setup, but this is a true ultralight fishing setup, made up of a proper rod and spinning reel & I absolutely love it!!
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 01 May, 2014 10:07 pm

Supertramp wrote:I have a Pflueger Patriarch 9525 reel (weighs 156grams) this is matched to an Innovator designs Nitro 007, 2-4kg 6 piece rod (not sure what it weighs, but would be under 90-100 grams easily).

How much for this setup? I saw a triple digit number on the net but would like to confirm that with you.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Supertramp » Sat 03 May, 2014 10:15 am

Yes it's not a cheap setup indeed, maybe more for the extremely keen fisherman.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 21 May, 2014 2:21 pm

The postie has been working overtime around my place. I just received a Tenkara rod from Ruta Locura that fits into the handle section of my walking poles.
Total rod length 10'6" with the rod handle (sans handle section is 41 grams). It comes with a cf tube case (13 grams) and a webbing case (11 grams). Now I can do my bit in helping eradicate feral Salmo species. Just having a quick swish in the front yard it seems nicely balanced but I am a pure novice when it comes to fishing. Note this only works with the Ruta Locura 2 piece poles not the 3 piece version.

Tenkara rod.png
Tenkara rod

I also received a Ruta Locura's lightweight version of the Klymit LiteWater Dingy (789 grams). I will write this up as an addition to another post on these rafts.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 21 May, 2014 3:13 pm

Mark, you don't hang around do you? Great! Please keep up posted of your experience. I am a complete novice and this sounded interesting (another "gadget"). Keep your posts coming! :)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Wed 21 May, 2014 4:20 pm

Inspired by gourmet farmer Matthew Evans and Plinio Taurian, last trip to NZ I took a pen fishing rod. Cheap as chips and easy to carry. Used soft plastic, tiny Mepps ultralight spinners, Rapalas and bubble floats with flies. To my great surprise it actually works.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Mark F » Wed 21 May, 2014 4:47 pm

I am slowly planning for a long coastal walk which is why I bought the LWD while it was on special. The rod just insisted in being included in the purchase - saved on postage is my justification, but the possibility of a nice trout dinner in the bush shouldn't be ruled out. Now to get the line, a couple of flys and wait for the opening of the trout season.

I expect neilmny's comment may come to apply to me.
Hmmm......you might do better just wacking them with the pole :lol:
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Wed 21 May, 2014 5:50 pm

:lol: No Mark it's a great idea and the best advice I can give is persevere.
I spent years diddling and fiddling then I read an article from a bloke who said chuck your other gear
in the cupboard and just fly fish for a year. Well that broke the code :D Your Tenkara rod should be a lot of fun.
You will catch fish....just believe it and persevere.....!
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 21 May, 2014 5:51 pm

What cooking options would there be if one is limited to a fuel canister stove? A nice big trout is just calling for a nice open camp fire, right?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Wed 21 May, 2014 5:56 pm

Thats a mighty good question GPS...............maybe a portable smoker.
The gas heats the smoker and makes the wood chips smoke and the fish gets
smoked inside the smoker........ er fairly obvious I suppose.....but a mate of mine has a
smoker that has little fuel burners heating the wood to make the smoke and it works really well.

.................and there's always frying pieces of fish or maybe even wack them in a ziploc bag and boil.
It would be a little bit like steamed..
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 21 May, 2014 6:05 pm

LOL Neilmny! Where's my ULW HWPMO (Hand Winding Powered Microwave Oven)? A nice trout is just not right without a skewer through it and grilled. Otherwise how about wrapping it in alu foil and cook it in hot sand/soil in the camp fire? I'm salivating already. Another thought, would anyone dare to bring wasabi and do raw sashimi style? Wasabi can come in dehydrated powder form but not sure about soy sauce. Though there are thickened soy sauces that can be diluted down IIRC. Bring that sharp sashimi chef knife.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Wed 21 May, 2014 6:20 pm

I enjoy sashimi a lot myself (and steak tartare too) but would never eat it if it hasn't been frozen first - freezing kills the parasites.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 21 May, 2014 6:30 pm

How big a risk is parasites with our local wild trouts? I read that "freeze the fish to an internal temperature of -4°F for at least 7 days to kill any parasites". Not sure the salmon purchased from our Sydney Fish Market have all been frozen for at least 7 days. I thought they ship them to Sydney much quicker than that, often overnight. No steak tartare for me unless in France...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Wed 21 May, 2014 9:49 pm

So many ways to cook a trout. For me wrap in foil with a little lemon juice or white wine and onto the coals - I don't relish the skin but for most Asians the skin nicely crisped is the best part of the fish.

Originally steak tartare was horse meat - one way to deal with the brumbies in knp - but no doubt a really good source of parasites.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Wed 21 May, 2014 11:13 pm

Mark F wrote:So many ways to cook a trout. For me wrap in foil with a little lemon juice or white wine and onto the coals - I don't relish the skin but for most Asians the skin nicely crisped is the best part of the fish.

Originally steak tartare was horse meat - one way to deal with the brumbies in knp - but no doubt a really good source of parasites.

In New Zealand the locals showed me how they wrap the fish in soaked newspaper and throw it on the coals.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby Strider » Thu 22 May, 2014 6:40 am

icefest wrote:I enjoy sashimi a lot myself (and steak tartare too) but would never eat it if it hasn't been frozen first - freezing kills the parasites.
What parasites are you referring to? I worked in fish health for a large Tasmanian trout producer for a number of years and never came across a parasite of the flesh. Or any other parasites that I can recall, to be honest. I have cut open and inspected literally thousands of trout in my life.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking