Enlightened Equipment Enigma Quilt

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Enlightened Equipment Enigma Quilt

Postby wayno » Mon 25 Aug, 2014 4:56 am

Why use quilts instead of sleeping bags? Well just about all backpackers at this point know of them but I still hardly ever see them on the trail! I’ve heard…those are for hammock users, those won’t keep the critters out, those aren’t warm enough…lots of reason not to use a quilt huh? Well they’re myths…for the most part! Quilts do have a few tiny drawbacks, which I will go over, but the advantages far outweigh them! It’s true quilts are a tremendous help for the hammocker! Easier to crawl into, you really do not need the material under you because hammockers use an underquilt anyway, lighter weight…aren’t those advantages for the ground also! Yep I’d surely say so! It’s still easier to crawl in, the bottom of the bag isn’t needed because us ground dwellers all use a pad, and it’s really light weight!!!

http://jwboutdoors.com/2014/08/enlighte ... nt-enigma/
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: Enlightened Equipment Enigma Quilt

Postby beachcruiser » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 3:08 pm

Nice review,

I've got my eye on a Enlightened Equipment Quilt, can't decide between a 20F and 30F and after watching that review maybe even a 40F?? that one looked pretty lofty in his pictures and video.
I have an old Macpac Marathon sleeping bag that was top fill only with straps to attach it to your sleeping mat but it is still a full bag, similar theory to a quilt.
Back in the early 90's when it came out a 580gm sleeping bag was radically light given most bags that were considered 'lightweight' were around 1.1kg!
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 3:40 pm

Where are you planning on using it and in which season, Beachcruiser?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby beachcruiser » Wed 17 Sep, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi Strider, thanks for asking, haven't been back to this thread for a while...

Spring, Summer, Autumn mostly around NSW, Blue Mountains, Budawangs etc Also have the Larapinta on the hit list probably in spring and hope to get back to the northern Flinders Ranges so night time temps approx minus 2 to +10 degrees I guess and I'd sleep with lightweight down hooded jacket (Feathered Friends Daybreak Hooded, 88gms 900+ loft down) on the nights at the cold end of that range.
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking