Osprey Exos 58 vs 48

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Osprey Exos 58 vs 48

Postby beachcruiser » Thu 25 Sep, 2014 6:13 am

I'm planning to get an Osprey Exos but can't decide between the 48 & 58, most of my walks are weekend walks, only one night out where the 48 will be plenty big enough but I've got a Hilltop to Katoomba walk coming up (8days) and plan to do the Larapinta next year.
Not sure if I'll be able to fit 8 days food for Hilltop to Katoomba in a 45L pack (I'll be getting the small size), but then I don't know about 55L either... The last time I carried 8 days food I had a 70L Berhaus pack (now long gone from my fleet)
The pack I use most now is a Fairydown Aspect (it was a sample I got when I worked for Arthur Ellis who owned Fairydown at the time not even sure if it went into production) it weighs 1.4kg and is around 45-50L and with it my base weight is under 5kg - it has a roll top like a waterproof bag so can't be overloaded like a pack with a lid at the top.
There is only 70gms difference in weight between the small sized Exos 48 and 58 so I leaned towards the Exos 58 but then out walking on the weekend and easily ducking under trees etc with my Fairydown pack that sits below head height on my back where some of my companions were getting stuck with there larger taller packs it got me thinking the smaller (shorter) Exos 48 would be better for weekend walks...
Any thoughts?
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Osprey Exos 58 vs 48

Postby Mark F » Thu 25 Sep, 2014 7:32 am

With a base weight under 5kg the 48 litre size should be big enough. If you are pushing it's limit on an 8 day trip just strap a stuff sac with a couple of days food in it to the back or top of the pack - the volume goes down quite quickly.

When are you heading off - I am starting Hilltop to Katoomba on Saturday morning.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby DanShell » Thu 25 Sep, 2014 10:53 am

Beachcruiser you sound more experienced than me but id prefer to have a slightly larger pack and pull it down smaller when its not packed out rather than forcing things into a smaller pack or tying things to the outside.

The 58 is only 5" higher if its full which it doesn't have to be, you may be able to use the extra volume of its depth.

I guess only you can decide if the larger pack will always have a lot of wasted space for the majority of your walks :) Good luck, I love Osprey packs just for the record!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby beachcruiser » Thu 25 Sep, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Mark F we're doing Hilltop to Katoomba in the first week of November, good luck with your walk, should be plenty of water about.

Also just remembered I didn't have my tent in when I measured my base weight when packing for a weekend walk last weekend because we camped in an overhang, did have a ground sheet and not my lightest cooking setup tho'

I was hoping to get into Kent St at lunchtime today to compare the packs but it's pissing down with rain, I'm only in the Sydney office one day a week so I'll have to stew on it some more...
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jjoz58 » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm looking at the 58lt for the AT next year or the ZPacks Acr Blast/Zip or ULA Circuit/Catalyst or Golight Jam or Granite Gear Crown or ............................................................!

I like Osprey packs but I'd love to see some of the others to compare. Just a pity that most are cottage industries with no retail outlets.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby DanShell » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 12:24 pm

jjoz58 wrote:I'm looking at the 58lt for the AT next year or the ZPacks Acr Blast/Zip or ULA Circuit/Catalyst or Golight Jam or Granite Gear Crown or ............................................................!

I like Osprey packs but I'd love to see some of the others to compare. Just a pity that most are cottage industries with no retail outlets.

I have a golite jam and I don't rate it when it has close to 10kgs in it. I'd choose the exos for comfort at that weight over the golite, but thats only my opinion.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby norts » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 12:41 pm

I would say that the main packs I saw on the AT were Osprey then ULA. Some of the cuben fibre packs were having durability issues, alot of duct tape holding them together by Katahdin.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnrs » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi Beachcruiser
Once you start flying to more distant destinations
a larger pack comes in handy for the additional travel related things
Regards
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby icefest » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 1:21 pm

norts wrote:Some of the cuben fibre packs were having durability issues, alot of duct tape holding them together by Katahdin.

Was it the plain cuben fibre, or the one with the polyester backing?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby norts » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 1:28 pm

I dont know Icefest. Didnt talk to the owners just saw all the grey duct tape.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby beachcruiser » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 7:18 pm

I've ended up choosing the 58, decision was made due to availability and I want to use it for a weekend walk the weekend after next.
I'll report back after the walk.

Perhaps I'll add another pack to the fleet, smaller and lighter specifically for weekend walks later. The Fairydown Aspect will still be the pack of choice for Budawangs scrub bashing, it's made from tough X-pack fabric and doesn't have much hanging off the outside.
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roysta » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 9:29 pm

You've made the right choice.
I have both those packs and there's only a few grams difference in weight.
If you got the large it's rated at 61 litres at a weight of 1.25kgs.
Frankly, at that weight, which is lighter than a lot of day packs I wouldn't worry about getting another pack.
If you're going to use it in heavyish scrub put a pack cover over it.
They're a great pack and go well up to around 15 or 16kgs.
roysta

Postby beachcruiser » Thu 16 Oct, 2014 5:58 pm

First walk with the Exos 58 last weekend, certainly don't need the volume for a weekend walk but carried nicely partially filled and was comfortable to carry, very happy. Will be carrying a heavier load at the beginning and for a couple of dry camp night during Hilltop to Katommba in a couple of weeks but confident it will perform
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby beachcruiser » Wed 12 Nov, 2014 10:48 am

Back from Hilltop to Katoomba walk, Exos 58 performed well and was plenty big enough.
I started out with around 16kgs (this post probably doesn't below in the Ultralight section any more...) including 2.5L of water and 8 days food. Ended up carrying over 20kgs a couple of times when we carried water for dry camps and whilst this is way over the recommended weight for the Exos it still carried well.
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby aaronhann85 » Fri 12 Dec, 2014 9:11 am

roysta wrote:If you got the large it's rated at 61 litres at a weight of 1.25kgs.

I've recently purchased the 2014 Exos 58 and noticed there are discrepancies between the weight listed on the website and that in the owner's manual. The Website does indeed list 1.25kg, however the manual states 1.13. I'm inclined to believe the manual, but it's very difficult to accurately weigh something so large.

I've made a few reversible modifications to bring it down to an estimated 1002g.
- Removed the lid (113g)
- Removed the trekking pole loops (9g)
- Removed the bottom webbing (6g)

In future I plan on shortening many of the straps and the hip belt and removing the ice tool loop.

I also considered the 48 but prefer the versatility of being able to add the lid back if I need space for extra food or clothing for longer/colder trips.

My only complaint is the useless sternum strap - the highest I can get it is in line with my redundant nipples :?
aaronhann85
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby Gippsmick » Sat 20 Dec, 2014 4:57 pm

Took an Exos 58 through western arthurs a fortnight ago with 9 days of food. Room to spare. Great pack.
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wallwombat » Thu 26 Jan, 2017 8:23 am

I realise this thread is a couple of years old but I thought I'd post anyway.

For the last couple of months, I have been debating whether to get the Exos 48 or the Exos 58. I think I have read just about every online review on both packs, ever written.

I ended up going for the Exos 48 and it arrived yesterday. I think I made the right decision as It's much bigger than I expected.

I decided against the 58 liter version as I already have a 70 liter Golite Quest, which is pretty light (1.4kg), super comfortable, and handles reasonably heavy loads well. The only problem with the Golite is that it's a bit big for shorter trips. I end up throwing more crap in than I would with a smaller pack.

Upon receiving my Exos 48 and packing it to full capacity, I realised I'd chosen right. If I had bought the 58 liter, it would have been about the same size as my Golite Quest and there wouldn't be much of point in that.

Looking at the size of the 48, I'm pretty sure I could carry enough for a 8/9 day trip and I think I could easily carry my climbing gear and some bivi gear for light and fast Warrumbungle trips.

Now that I have the 48, I'm actually interested in the 38.

I already have a Osprey Exposure 36, which is my climbing and overnight pack. It's a good pack but besides the floating lid, it has very little overfill capabilities and isn't very versatile. The Exos 38 might be a good replacement.

Mind you, I probably should just suck it up and cinch those compression straps on the 48 and control my urge to buy another pack that I don't really need (I now own 7 packs).

Anyway, does anyone have the Exos 38? If so, what do you think about it?
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Thu 26 Jan, 2017 2:07 pm

Ww, go a hmg porter and you wont go back. When are you getting a packraft?
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 9:00 am

The 38 rucksack is gold!
See also the exos 38 review by SACWILDLIFE on youtube. I bought one after that 9.5kgs all up INC -water /food/tent/pad/quilt accessories (Alite chair/brolly/raincoat/stove/ One cup espresso maker/ ti pot and cup/ gas bottle/ small headtorch etc) for one day and night with room left over. Done this several times so far. I just bought it. Could easily push it out to 3-4 days (add more Food only real diff) Plus add down jacket. I am pretty sure it would fit and I guess 3-4 day weight might be 11.5kgs. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8031&start=90 One Planet Goondie 1-15D page 4 -my comment. Now I am looking at the 48 for 4 days plus or real winter 3 days where more gear must be brought. The 38 would be my go to however. Love the way you eat through your luggage making it lighter!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Return to Ultralight backpacking