Evernew Ti pot + clickstand question

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Postby MicheleK » Fri 05 Dec, 2014 8:34 am

I have a 900 ml Evernew pot that I use with the Clicktstand system that I am really happy with. I'd like to add a another pot, ideally the 0.6 L. I'd like to fit the Clikstand components inside the pot, but not sure that it fits.

I have e-mailed Evernew and asked them. They said that the 0.6 L fits snugly in the 0.9 L and the walls are 0.3 mm thick.
I e-mailed Clikstand and asked them. They said they don't have experience with the 0.6 L pot, suspect that the stand may stick out a little from the pot preventing the lid closing.

Does anyone know or even know of a supplier of Evernew pots in Melbourne so I can take my set up in and test it out? I would hate to buy something that I can't use the way I want to.

Any advise/suggestions much appreciated.
MicheleK
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby RonK » Fri 05 Dec, 2014 3:22 pm

Looking at mine I suspect it'll be just a tad too small.
Also it's not certain if the windshield will fit between the two pots (the handles will take some of the space).
A safer option may be to go for the 1.3 L pot.

I'll be interest to know whatever you discover.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Evernew Ti pot + clickstand question

Postby hikin_jim » Sat 13 Dec, 2014 10:20 am

I've got a 0.6L Evernew and a Clikstand. Let me see if it will fit. I don't think that it will fit, but I will check.

HJ
Stove reviews and information: Adventures in Stoving
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby hikin_jim » Sat 13 Dec, 2014 10:31 am

I just checked. There's no way a Clikstand can be fitted into a 0.6 L Evernew pot. I should be clear that I have a short, wide Evernew pot and the titanium Clikstand. I'm not sure if Evernew makes a tall, skinny pot, but just to be clear I have the short, wide one.

I can post a photo if you like, but it's not even close.

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hikin_jim » Tue 16 Dec, 2014 4:55 pm

Well, no one replied, but just in case, here are some photos.

Evernew 0.6L pot with Clickstand. It just doesn't fit.

No part of it fits.

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RonK » Tue 16 Dec, 2014 4:58 pm

We believed you Jim. :)

But the pics are good.

An extra pot would have been nice, but not at the expense of bulk. I've been getting along fine with one.

Evernew do make a tall pot, and so does Snow Peak, but I think the squat pot works better in titanium, and for me it definitely packs better.
RonK

Postby RonK » Tue 16 Dec, 2014 5:22 pm

Hey Jim - you've got me thinking now. The Clickstand stove won't fit in the 0.6 L pot, but my Kovea Spider will - maybe a gas canister too. Ta :)
RonK

Postby hikin_jim » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 12:49 am

I just tried it, Ron, and the Spider fits fine, but a canister will not fit -- even if there's absolutely nothing else in the pot. I mean the canister if alone almost fits, certainly the pot is wide enough, but you can't close the lid. It's something on the order of a cm too tall. I used an MSR 110g canister. A Primus 220g will fit in terms of width, but it is far too tall.

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RonK » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 7:15 pm

Hmmmmm - well, the exchange rate has killed that idea. $100 is a steep price for a pot I don't really need.
RonK

Postby Bubbalouie » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 8:09 pm

RonK wrote:Hmmmmm - well, the exchange rate has killed that idea. $100 is a steep price for a pot I don't really need.

Have a look at aliexpress.com and the toaks pots, they're reasonably well made and very cheap.

If you go to toaksoutdoor.com they will sell a few things not on aliexpress.com. The 650ml pot fits a gas cannister, small burner, folding spork, flint and a chux wipe pretty comfortably.

In any case the above are some cheaper ways to buy titanium cook wear.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby RonK » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 8:28 pm

Toaks pots look excellent value, but they won't nest in a 0.9 L Evernew pot, which is what we are discussing in this thread.

I already have a nesting set of Snowpeak Ti tall pots, but it's squat (wider based) pots that work best in Ti.
RonK

Postby Bubbalouie » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 9:25 pm

RonK wrote:Toaks pots look excellent value, but they won't nest in a 0.9 L Evernew pot, which is what we are discussing in this thread.

I already have a nesting set of Snowpeak Ti tall pots, but it's squat (wider based) pots that work best in Ti.

Ah, I didn't realise they didn't nest, I neglected that they're about the same diameter (97mm OD it seems), for some reason I was thinking the 900ml "squat" pot had a 115mm OD.

That said, still under $90 for a "squat" set: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/TOAKS-2i ... 19931.html

(Not trying to push anything, just trying to help find cheaper options is all).

Anyway, best of luck.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby MicheleK » Mon 22 Dec, 2014 1:59 pm

HJ,
Thankyou so much for the post and photos to prove that the Clikstand doesn't fit in a short and squat 600 ml Evernew pot. It was wishful thinking on my part anyway. I will stick with my one pot system. I have a food dehydrator and a vacuum sealer, so I will play around with rehydrating in the bag. My main aim of a second pot was to be rehydrating the sauce part of a meal in something other that the cup I use for tea/coffee, not that that is that problematic anyway.

cheers,
Michele
MicheleK
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby hikin_jim » Fri 02 Jan, 2015 1:52 pm

Your very welcome.

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Sun 04 Jan, 2015 9:01 am

Michele,
If your aim is to have a re-hydrating and nesting container, there is another way to do it.
Get a polypropylene food container to nest your pot inside it.
Something like this :
that pot is very similar in size to your 900ml pot (a few mm wider,about the size of your folded handles) and that food container is about 80g, around the same weight as a Ti 600ml pot w/lid.
Easy to hold and easy to pile clothing/sleeping bag on top for insulation when re-hydrating (Dutch oven style)
You could take your 900ml pot to Woolworth or K Mart to find a container to suit.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Sun 04 Jan, 2015 9:28 am

hikin_jim wrote:Well, no one replied, but just in case, here are some photos.

No part of it fits.

HJ

What if you just snip or grind those corner bits off so that it does fit?
Does the corner play a structural part?
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sun 04 Jan, 2015 10:40 am

You might just have an easy solution there.
Looking at photos of those bits it appears that the corners are not that important to the structural integrity of the stand.
Would be worth asking the folk at Clikstand first.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Sun 04 Jan, 2015 1:53 pm

neilmny wrote:
hikin_jim wrote:Well, no one replied, but just in case, here are some photos.

No part of it fits.

HJ

What if you just snip or grind those corner bits off so that it does fit?
Does the corner play a structural part?

You seem to have ignored the first photo - the most significant problem is the sides.
RonK

Postby MicheleK » Mon 05 Jan, 2015 1:31 pm

Those corners are important - they click into the rest of the stand, so you can't grind them off. And the rest of the stand fits even less into the pot. I'd say it's simply not possible to put the Clikstand in a 600 ml Evernew pot.

On last weeks trip to Kosciuszko NP I trailled a different approach. At home I made a very tasty chicken and pomegranate stew. I dehydrated it and sealed each portion into a rectangular bag with the vacuum sealer. At camp, I cut the top off, filled with boiling water - this food grade plastic is designed for use with boiling water. I folded the top over and used a bobby pin to hold in place. About 45 mins later i cooked the carbs (in this case pasta) in the pot. I then spooned the sauce out of the bag and into the pot of pasta. This worked great. Happy camper with probably no need for an extra pot!

Dec14_Kosci_447_s.jpg
MicheleK
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Franco » Mon 05 Jan, 2015 2:59 pm

Typical !
So cutting corners is not a good idea ?

Anyway, I too found out that those vacuum seal bags are ideal for re-hydrating because they do take boiling water without releasing any taste (that I can detect)
When I used to make the full meal via dehydrator/vacuum bags that is what I did too.
I used to start with a bag several centimeters bigger than I needed so that back home I could wash them and re-use them a few times.
You need to be careful with pasta because it can puncture them (so I have been told...)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MicheleK » Tue 06 Jan, 2015 8:17 am

I hadn't thought about re-using the bags - excellent suggestion.

I have had a few bags puncture with sharp bits of dry food. In the picture you can see that the bag i made is about twice the height of the width. If i had a punctured (and a loss of the vacuum seal) bag that i needed to re-hydrate in, i simply used turned it the other way and used the other half of the bag for rehydrating so that it wouldn't leak.
MicheleK
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Snowzone » Tue 06 Jan, 2015 9:25 am

Hi Michele, it looks a good set up you have. What is the weight of the clickstand, windshield and your pot combined? How stable do you find it when cooking and stirring your pot? Presumably it burns as efficiently as a trangia?
Snowzone

Postby MicheleK » Wed 07 Jan, 2015 11:41 am

Snowzone, the weight is:
Clikstand burner stand and windshield 77 g
Evernew 900 ml pot 110 g
Trangia methylated spirits burner 120 g
Total = 307 g

I could have used the Evernew titanium burner to reduce weight, but that doesn't have a screw on lid or simmer ring, features which I like, so I use a Trangia burner.

The set up is very stable, even on grassy vegetation as in the above photo. At other campsites during the trip I found a flat rock to cook on. I have found this set up a good Trangia alternative, I have always been a fan of the stable, safe Trangia system, but it is too heavy and bulky.
MicheleK
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Snowzone » Wed 07 Jan, 2015 12:33 pm

MicheleK wrote:Snowzone, the weight is:
Clikstand burner stand and windshield 77 g
Evernew 900 ml pot 110 g
Trangia methylated spirits burner 120 g
Total = 307 g

I could have used the Evernew titanium burner to reduce weight, but that doesn't have a screw on lid or simmer ring, features which I like, so I use a Trangia burner.

The set up is very stable, even on grassy vegetation as in the above photo. At other campsites during the trip I found a flat rock to cook on. I have found this set up a good Trangia alternative, I have always been a fan of the stable, safe Trangia system, but it is too heavy and bulky.

Thanks for that, I think I will investigate this option further. I still love my Trangia as I prefer to cook rather than just boil water. But the weight starts to drag you down after awhile.
Snowzone

Postby RonK » Wed 07 Jan, 2015 4:10 pm

Snowzone wrote:
MicheleK wrote:The set up is very stable, even on grassy vegetation as in the above photo. At other campsites during the trip I found a flat rock to cook on. I have found this set up a good Trangia alternative, I have always been a fan of the stable, safe Trangia system, but it is too heavy and bulky.

Thanks for that, I think I will investigate this option further. I still love my Trangia as I prefer to cook rather than just boil water. But the weight starts to drag you down after awhile.

I use the Denali Titanium combo, which weighs just 226gm. Add to that a Trangia simmer ring. I don't miss the screw cap at all.

The Evernew burner is like a jet compared to a Trangia burner.

It's not so much about the weight of the Trangia but the bulk. This thing is not just light, it's tiny.

RonK

Postby MicheleK » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 7:59 am

Ron,
You don't find it a nuisance to drain the fuel each time? I suppose it would only be twice daily for me. Three times if i get keen at lunchtime. I am intrigued by your comment of the Evernew burner being better than the Trangia. Why would that be? More holes? I am intrigued and may need to modify my system, which is also the Titanium Denali, like yours, but with Trangia burner.
MicheleK
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby hikin_jim » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 3:08 pm

The Evernew burner does burn hotter and it does boil water faster (at least that's its reputation; I haven't personally verified this), but is faster better? A faster stove generally will burn more fuel. One typically has to carry around twice as much alcohol by weight as canister gas to do the same cooking. Having a faster burner would only increase the amount of fuel a person would have to carry.

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RonK » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 6:31 pm

MicheleK wrote:Ron,
You don't find it a nuisance to drain the fuel each time? I suppose it would only be twice daily for me. Three times if i get keen at lunchtime. I am intrigued by your comment of the Evernew burner being better than the Trangia. Why would that be? More holes? I am intrigued and may need to modify my system, which is also the Titanium Denali, like yours, but with Trangia burner.

I've become quite adept at judging the precise amount of fuel. I can only recall one time that I've underestimated. A few times there has been a tiny amount unused when I've had the simmer ring on to make porridge but it was so little I've just tipped it out.

The Evernew burner has level marks inside, and I've found I only use 30ml of fuel to boil enough water to make a cup of soup and rehydrate a meal - about 1 litre I guess.

The burner has two rows of holes, and once it warms up I think the fuel vapourises. It gives a little pop then really gets going.

I dunno about it using more fuel - not more than a Trangia burner anyway. If anything I think it uses less.
RonK

Postby hikin_jim » Sat 10 Jan, 2015 11:00 pm

RonK wrote:I dunno about it using more fuel - not more than a Trangia burner anyway. If anything I think it uses less.
That would be an interesting experiment if you had the time: to boil equal amounts of water, one with a brass Trangia and then one with a titanium Evernew burner and see how much fuel each one required. My money is on the Trangia for using less fuel.

HJ
hikin_jim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 11 Jan, 2015 10:18 am

Clikstand with windscreen....Trangia titanium 1lt pot.
Down in the garage..in 'perfect' conditions. Obviously, boil times will be longer out in the bush. :wink:
30ml Metho
500ml water

Trangia burner : - Brass body
Rolling boil @ approx :- 5mins 39secs
Length of boil :- 3mins 7secs
1st flame to flame out around :- 8mins 54secs

Evernew burner :- Titanium body
Rolling boil @ approx :- 5mins 58secs
Length of boil :- 2mins 57secs
1st flame to flame out around :- 9mins & 9secs

Not a lot between them here in the sub tropics.......

*Modified...to include 3 boils each results & then averaged.
Last edited by ofuros on Mon 12 Jan, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking