Lightweight Down Jacket recommendations

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Lightweight Down Jacket recommendations

Postby ethoen » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 10:05 am

I'm in the market for a down jacket for the impending Tassie winter. The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whispers seams to be the reviewers favourite, but I can't find anywhere to buy it here in Aus so I can try before I buy.

Any recommendations for great lightweight down jackets that don't need to be bought from overseas shop?
ethoen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Lightweight Down Jacket recommendations

Postby wayno » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 10:24 am

several brands do something similar, making quality clothes. should be stocked in Aus
take note of the loft rating the higher the rating then will be warmer for its weight and the smaller it will pack down. 800 plus is standard for the quality jackets if you're fussy. nothing wrong with lower loft with lower no's, the down just doesnt pack down as much and you need more of it to get the same loft so a bit heavier for the wame warmth

Outdoor Reseach
Montbell
The North Face
Marmot
Montane
RAB
Arcteryx (the most expensive)
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby beean » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 11:24 am

Uniqlo make a decent UL jacket. There's a thread floating round here with a discussion about them.
beean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby horsecat » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 11:50 am

If weight is an issue have you considered Primaloft rather than down? I have quite a collection of down jackets and vests and recently added a Mont Moondog Primaloft jacket. They're much more compact than down (comes with a tiny stuff sack rather than packing into its own pocket) and weighs in at just over 400g. Great for layering under soft shell etc but is also water resistant and retains its heat better when damp than down. Not too bulky if you need to use it inside your sleeping bag too. Whilst it's not going to be as warm as a top end down jacket, I've never really needed something that heavy in Tasmania. Cost me around $250. Patagonia also have their Nano Primaloft jacket which I've heard good reviews on as well
horsecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mickl » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 12:45 pm

I think someone worked out the Uniqlo down hooded jackets were 750 fill equivalent and for less than $100 it would be pretty hard to beat that. I think the sizes run a bit small from what Moondog said about his.

If you decide to buy one without trying it on I'd be going for the ghost whisperer as well. Could be worth a punt as it would easily re sell if the sizing wasn't right.
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby beean » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 1:48 pm

800+ fill usually doesn't last long in humid condition, there was a thread here a while back about throwing a sleeping bag in a dryer and weighing it before and after.

I don't know if primaloft is warmer per weight than down but it's definitely a better idea for moist conditions. A patagucci nanopuff or dead bird atom LT could be a good alternative.

But yeah, I've got one of those uniqlo downies and they run small, order the next size up. Great jacket though!
beean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 3:35 pm

down is warmer, synthetic better when wearing on the go. to generalise down gains in advantage warmth for weight when at camp. with exceptions like in prolonged damp conditions over several days when down can loose out but water resistant down can alleviate this a bit and ther are also down primaloft hybrid insulation jackets around as well.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gbedford » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 9:17 pm

The Ghost whisperer is a very light jacket. If this sort of weight is a priority then Luke's Ulralite make a great jacket. If you want something warmer go for something heavier which has more down. I agree with what Wayno said.

Gordon
gbedford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 6:54 pm

Tassie in winter I'd be looking at synthetic to be safe with possibly a down vest as well; keeping the down for camp after everything is set up
At least that is what I am aiming at for the next snow camp
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Razz » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 1:52 pm

Would the ghost whisper be warm enough for tassie in June on the over land track just for around camp in the huts with a light fleece or would a heavier down jacket be better ?
Razz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby JohnStrider » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 11:12 pm

Here is a link to the Mens Uniqlo UL Down Jackets: http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men/coll ... down.html#

Not sure about how much they weigh though.

Any idea, MD?
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Thu 09 Apr, 2015 12:59 pm

I was also looking at the Ghost Whisperer but like you I couldn't find anywhere to try it on. Same goes for the Montbell Ex light, although the Montbell had other negatives for me - like no pockets at all. Again with the Arc'teryx Cerium LT I thought I had found a shop in St Kilda that stocked Arc'teryx, but when I went there, they had already closed down.

I ended up buying a Marmot Zeus 800 fill power goose down jacket (no hood) from Paddy Pallin that fit me nicely. I paid the weight penalty though (375g for small), but it was much cheaper than getting the Ghost Whisperer from the states.

JohnStrider wrote:Here is a link to the Mens Uniqlo UL Down Jackets: http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men/coll ... down.html#

From recollection the Uniqlo is about 220grams (for the small). I tried the small in Singapore when I was there late last year, and I'm not a big bloke and found the fit on me was a bit baggy. The Marmot Zeus fits me nicer. I thought the Uniqlo fill was a bit light on though, so was wondering how it goes for warmth.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Slider » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 7:06 am

keithy wrote:Again with the Arc'teryx Cerium LT I thought I had found a shop in St Kilda that stocked Arc'teryx, but when I went there, they had already closed down.

Paddy Pallin sell the arc'teryx cerium lt.
Slider
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Joomy » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 9:22 pm

I think I can safely recommend the PHD Yukon K Jacket. 345g, -15C rating, 1000 FP down, hooded. Probably 3x as warm as the ghost whisperer at 1.5x the weight. Slightly expensive tho :D
Joomy

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby corvus » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 10:25 pm

Check this out weighs 325 gm and is nice and warm with no bulk,wont replace my Winter Down jacket but will replace my 295g cheap fleece jumper :)

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/komodo-pac ... avy-large/
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 05 May, 2015 1:40 pm

I looked at the Ghost Whisperer some time ago as well but a lot of reviews said the sleeves were too short and an uncomfortable fit. I ended up going with the second lightest I could find which was the Marmot Quasar... http://marmot.com/products/details/quasar-jacket

900 fill down, weighs only 240g (I think the GW was under 200?), has been warm enough for everything I've needed it for to date and I think not too hard to come by. I also like the TNF thunder micro jackets, which are probably easier to get locally, although they're not as light and more expensive. If ordering online be aware that both the Marmot and TNFs tend to be oversized (presumably for layering, although I find TNF gear to be quite big in general).

Just my 2c :)
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 10 May, 2015 10:08 pm

JohnStrider wrote:Here is a link to the Mens Uniqlo UL Down Jackets: http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/men/coll ... down.html#

Any idea, MD?

I took the plunge on one of these today. Weight is 287g for the Large size. Quality on first impressions seems flawless. The cut around the collar is interestingly quite loose, but this makes it very comfortable to wear and I'll have to layer over a fleece (thanks Costco) if really cold anyway.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnStrider » Mon 11 May, 2015 9:14 pm

Strider wrote:

Any idea, MD?

I took the plunge on one of these today. Weight is 287g for the Large size. Quality on first impressions seems flawless. The cut around the collar is interestingly quite loose, but this makes it very comfortable to wear and I'll have to layer over a fleece (thanks Costco) if really cold anyway.

Funnily enough I was down at Uniqlo over the weekend as I was buying a vest for my partner for her birthday. You're spot on about the quality though. I tried on a jacket with a hood and it felt so comfortable to wear. Pretty much like wearing an EE Quilt jacket.

Was almost tempted to get the jacket I tried on, but didn't. But the more I think about it, the more I think it would be perfect for my trip to NZ and much better than the Kathmandu vest I picked upon Gumtree a few weeks ago (it's a decent vest and I wear it quite a bit, but I reckon the Uniqlo jacket would be better)
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Mon 11 May, 2015 9:20 pm

My wife bought a vest too. Not a UL model, though it is still very impressive for the money. The fabric on my UL parka is apparently 20d (or so I read in online reviews) but I think it feels much lighter.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnStrider » Mon 11 May, 2015 9:50 pm

Be sure to let me know how it goes when you test it out.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Mon 11 May, 2015 10:03 pm

I'll pack it for daywalks from now on but I can't see it getting much proper use until OLT later this year. I can't see it holding its own so it will definitely be a layering piece.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dutch » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 3:04 pm

Looking for a cheap down vest, i pulled the trigger on the Kogan one >> https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/komodo-pac ... avy-large/

$65, 193 grams. Now i don't know a lot of about down jackets but i love this thing. Super warm and being a vest, limits chance of snagging and tearing.
Dutch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 5:03 pm

I bought the Kogan Down Jacket 321g to replace a Fleece Jumper 398g,toasty warm and packs down smaller than the Jumper and paired with my Lowe Alpine Down vest 543g is a reasonable Winter combination .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Dutch » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 6:11 pm

Actually, i missed mentioning - The pockets arent insulated and so you can feel the heat loss around your stomach. Iv cut the pockets out and sewn them closed for a much better result.
Dutch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby n5750547 » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 9:00 pm

Dutch wrote:Actually, i missed mentioning - The pockets arent insulated and so you can feel the heat loss around your stomach. Iv cut the pockets out and sewn them closed for a much better result.

Do they leak much down through the seams?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
n5750547
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Dutch » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 10:16 pm

Iv seen one feather poke its head out.
Note: As a vest, if the size u get doesn't pull snugly around ur chest, warm air is going to puff out the armpits. If maximum heat was required, the jacket would have been better. Suits me though as I don't feel the cold as others do.
Note2, I'm a noob in all things down jackets; just my observations.
Dutch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aidan » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:06 am

Joomy wrote:I think I can safely recommend the PHD Yukon K Jacket. 345g, -15C rating, 1000 FP down, hooded. Probably 3x as warm as the ghost whisperer at 1.5x the weight. Slightly expensive tho :D

Slightly? :shock:
At least suggest sitting down before viewing.......
It is the first 1000 loft jacket I've seen in fairness
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aidan » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:47 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:(I think the GW was under 200?),

219g according to the spiel at Massdrop.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mountain-h ... ded-jacket

I recently parted with my Macpac Sundowner XP.
It was simply too warm to move around in and turned into a sweat lodge within 10 minutes of walking on the flat pavement of a suburban setting.

The GW was appealing at under $200 on the last Massdrop but the complaints about the zips, protruding feathers and concerns about the robustness of the fabric in online reviews from owners gave me caution.

I do like the sound of the 310g hooded Macpac Supernova, whilst closer to the Whisperers price and approx 100g heavier, I do know the fit and having a shop locally I could easily return to the shop for a swap. It has YKK zips and an important feature to me, after the Sundowner, Stretch microfleece panels under the arms for improved breathability. $300 currently on sale.
http://www.macpac.com.au/supanova-hoode ... 57430.html
Whilst it hasn't won any awards like the GW, I have a long history of buying most of my gear from Macpac and receive good service including prompt repair work even out of warranty.

Decisions decisions.......
I'm still undecided though I know Massdrop is likely to soon repeat the GW offer
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:31 pm

I have a Alpkit Filoment Jacket on my short list ... no hood but they do a hooded variant. It weighs 350g for the large and most importantly for me packs down and into a one litre drybag. The price is ~AU$186.

Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Aushiker » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:59 pm

Another option on my short list is the Cumulus Prestige GL (no hood) which weighs in at 190g for the medium and the cost is approximately $AU200 delivered to Australia (tax taken off).
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking