Lightweight Down Jacket recommendations

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Lightweight Down Jacket recommendations

Postby Aidan » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 4:43 pm

A tough choice Andrew.
I can see things I like about both jackets..... Well all the mentioned so far jackets but no super stand out that I can see (or maybe understand from the specs).
I definitely prefer the Alpkits lack of super sheen shiny fabric (although it might be that sheen that offers up water resistance.
The Appkit looks closer to the MP Supernova with regards total weight with I imagine the Supernova winning in the warmth stakes with higher loft down.
I'm personally favouring a hood at this stage of mental arithmetic.
Where did you spot the Cumulus for sale? Would you buy via the linked page (no paypal) or seek out a store like bike24 etc?
I would have found the Cumulus easier to like had it not utilised the red zips but thats merely a personal aesthetic preference.
At under 200g its certainly seriously light and appears at first glance a closely specced alternative for the G/Whisperer.

Actually I just had a squiz at bike24 and they had a decent selection of all the usual suspects once I'd offered "goose down" into the search engine.

I'm yet to finish researching but thus far, it appears to be only Macpac that attempts to tackle underarm sweating at all with their microfleece panels under the arms which was what inclined me to part with my Sundowner XP.
It was fantastic for sitting around in the cold but to quickly heated up at the mere thought of any movement.

Hopefully more people will chime in on the thread and offer other points of view and experience.
Last edited by Aidan on Tue 12 Apr, 2016 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 5:18 pm

I think Globewalker imports Cumulus. Kasia regularly posts specials here.
edit: Scratch that. They don't. Pity.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:21 pm

I have the Macpac supernova. Great little jacket in large coming in at 330 grams.

I did just purchase a down vest from Uniqlo to layer under this jacket in colder conditions. Whilst it's not cold I did put both on to test my set up and burst into a sweat rather quickly, thus so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Aushiker » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 11:27 pm

Aidan wrote:Where did you spot the Cumulus for sale? Would you buy via the linked page (no paypal) or seek out a store like bike24 etc?
I would have found the Cumulus easier to like had it not utilised the red zips but thats merely a personal aesthetic preference.
At under 200g its certainly seriously light and appears at first glance a closely spaced alternative for the G/Whisperer.

I had come across their bags in the past when I was researching options. The price I listed is from purchasing from their website. From the reviews I have found they are well known in Europe but not so well known outside of Europe. Apparently been in business for 25 years so I would be okay purchasing using my credit card and not PayPal.

I was also impressed that their shopping cart is setup to deduct VAT for non-European customers; a small tick to indicate that they have some experience with international customers.

I would go with the red over the black myself and skip on the hood but then I also really want the smallest pack size for bikepacking. I have also emailed them for weights for the larger sizes (it has been suggested to go one size up from your normal size). This is my preliminary test of their customer service.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby Aushiker » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 6:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:. I have also emailed them for weights for the larger sizes (it has been suggested to go one size up from your normal size). This is my preliminary test of their customer service.

This is the response which was received within 24 hours:

Hello Andrew,
thank you for your e-mail.

Prestige jacket in L size weights 200g, XL - 210g, XXL-220g.

It is a close fitting jacket. I use M size Incredilite, but Prestige have got in S size.

Kind regards
Rafał Buczek
CUMULUS
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aidan » Sat 16 Apr, 2016 11:48 pm

Giddy_up wrote:I have the Macpac supernova. Great little jacket in large coming in at 330 grams.

I did just purchase a down vest from Uniqlo to layer under this jacket in colder conditions. Whilst it's not cold I did put both on to test my set up and burst into a sweat rather quickly, thus so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried one on today.
I like it, but as a lighter weight substitute for my Sundowner XP jacket which was simply too warm and bulky for my cycle touring.

I'm currently more looking into the possibility of lightening and lowering the bulk in my panniers.
I'm looking into how a super light down sweater might fare as a mid layer fleece or merino substitute.

I was very disappointed to find out today that the latest Supernova has done away with the fleece under arm panel which I was counting on to reduce sweat/moisture.
Had this change not been evident, I'd have bought the Supernova today simply as a hooded jacket.
I tried on the Uberlight vest but its a skinnier fit in "Large" than the Supernova and didn't fit my gut.
A good price but no sweater experiment going to happen there any time soon.

I'll have to look further afield like Aushikers Polish lightweight (Cumulus) or another Massdrop for a Ghost Whisperer.

The Supernova is still a possibility for a down jacket but its too warm to attempt to use as a mid layer sweater substitute.

In the meantime, I've still a Macpac Sundowner Vest for cold conditions that merit it, but really for sitting around camp.
Last edited by Aidan on Sun 17 Apr, 2016 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aidan » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 12:10 am

Aushiker wrote:I had come across their bags in the past when I was researching options. The price I listed is from purchasing from their website. From the reviews I have found they are well known in Europe but not so well known outside of Europe. Apparently been in business for 25 years so I would be okay purchasing using my credit card and not PayPal.

I was also impressed that their shopping cart is setup to deduct VAT for non-European customers; a small tick to indicate that they have some experience with international customers.

I would go with the red over the black myself and skip on the hood but then I also really want the smallest pack size for bikepacking. I have also emailed them for weights for the larger sizes (it has been suggested to go one size up from your normal size). This is my preliminary test of their customer service.

Definitely on the short list to consider.
I found from todays visit to Perths outdoors stores that its not hard to find a down cap should one want one so I needn't be too one eyed about a hood.

Seen some very nice looking gear today that was a far cry aesthetically from whats been available in the past.
Some very nice looking weaves and patterns in different fleece types and lots of panelling/tayloring in the spec.

Those with cardio vascular issues will be wanting to be seated when looking at the latest gears pricing but there too is plenty of discounted last years stock too to browse for those like me, more budget conscious. :oops:
Last edited by Aidan on Sun 17 Apr, 2016 3:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aidan » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 2:03 am

Whilst still looking at lightweight (sub 250g) tops/jackets I've spotted:

GoLite Selkirk Ultralite 800 Fill Down Jacket 181g

Montbell EX Light whose hooded anorak comes in at 177g

mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z--AHJ-Jzn0

Sierra Designs DriDown Sweater (struggling to find correct weight due to different sites offering variations)

Arcteryx Cerium LT 245g

Montbell ul down parka 255g

A gaggle of light down jackets from: http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/phd-k-series ... erformance

Marmot Quasar 238.1 g

Patagonia Ultralight Down Hoody - Men's 264 g (included due to I like their ethos regarding tradable down)

Berghaus Ramche Hyper Down Jacket - Men's 179 g

Rab Continuum Pull-On Jacket - Men's 230 g

Westcomb Chilko Sweater - Men's 242 g

Western Mountaineering Quick Flash Jacket - Men's 225g
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 6:03 am

i've got a mont bell ex light... its a down shirt, not much loft at all, about as warm as a thin fleece, if that, so little down in it, it doesnt spread easily.
i wouldnt use it for anything colder than cool weather... i'd never use it for the colder months. I wouldnt rate any down jacket for being that warm in the low 200gms.. bear in mind a lot of the weight is nylon and very little is down at that weight, its better to add another 50- `100gm of down and the amount of warms goes up exponentially, its well worth the extra weight.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aidan » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 1:53 pm

wayno wrote:i've got a mont bell ex light... its a down shirt, not much loft at all, about as warm as a thin fleece, if that, so little down in it, it doesnt spread easily.
i wouldnt use it for anything colder than cool weather... i'd never use it for the colder months. I wouldnt rate any down jacket for being that warm in the low 200gms.. bear in mind a lot of the weight is nylon and very little is down at that weight, its better to add another 50- `100gm of down and the amount of warms goes up exponentially, its well worth the extra weight.

Thank you for the feedback Wayno - enlightening and very informative.

I'm out of my depth with regards matching the right amount of down with the temperature so your post is great confirming more research on my part is needed.

I have yet to accurately determine, for my use ( autumn, winter cycle touring), best practice with regards wearing what and when.
I've got a selection of what I can make work, but now wish to refine it and lower my pannier bulk an weight somewhat, if its possible without compromising comfort which is what makes trekking by bicycle an enjoyable pass time for me.

Its relatively recent that I've learnt about the benefits of looking for ways to proactively lighten my load making for an overall more enjoyable experience.
My first extended tour across Australia, emulated Hansel and Gretal in that instead of breadcrumbs, I left a trail of discarded unnecessary items, much to the benefit of my worn knees.

Its taken a long time, but I'm now much more enthusiastic about learning about lighter weight gear instead of always looking at the most durable.
Hence my interest in the down sweaters/tops.
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 2:02 pm

i'd avoid cycling in down unless its absolutely freezing. sweat builds up in down and it will almost definitely build up on the back of the down jacket where most sweat builds up for cyclists..
you'd want hydrophobic treated down at least...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Lightweight Down Jacket recommendations

Postby RonK » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 2:19 pm

wayno wrote:i'd avoid cycling in down unless its absolutely freezing. sweat builds up in down and it will almost definitely build up on the back of the down jacket where most sweat builds up for cyclists..

Absolutely - down is for street and camp ware only. But I think Aidan knows that already.
RonK

Postby Aidan » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 3:19 pm

RonK wrote:
wayno wrote:i'd avoid cycling in down unless its absolutely freezing. sweat builds up in down and it will almost definitely build up on the back of the down jacket where most sweat builds up for cyclists..

Absolutely - down is for street and camp ware only. But I think Aidan knows that already.

Yes its for off the bike wear and for around camp in cold weather.
Something lighter and much less sweat inducing than my last jacket which was too warm for where I was utilising it.
Something with "some" water resistance but I'm not looking to utilise it as a shell in rain, merely survive a dash to grab my e-vent Showers Pass jacket in a shower.
I'm now much more aware of the many choices available where before I'd been more than a little one eyed regarding warmth and durability at all costs.
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 3:22 pm

synthetic insulation
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aidan » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 3:53 pm

For those interested in Ghost Whisperer or similar down wear or insulated jackets, you might find a search of Wiggles offerings interesting, especially for those in an XL sizing.......

http://www.wiggle.com.au/insulated-jackets-1/
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aidan » Tue 17 May, 2016 4:42 pm

wayno wrote:synthetic insulation

I did consider the excellent available synthetics now available but thought that down might better offer me more pack room in my panniers.

I ended up going with the Macpac Supernova.

I liked the easy ability to deal with my local store where I'm known and have experienced good service.

The easy exchange policy, warranty repairs and ability to easily try on for correct sizing satisfied my desire for a hassle free purchase whilst being satisfied I'd be taken care of should there be any after sale problems.

I took it a step further and also grabbed Macpacs new lightweight Hightail Anorak for a rain/wind shell after being impressed with the spec.

The fact that they were having a special on at the time and that I had a discount voucher certainly made for an easy purchase decision.

http://www.macpac.com.au/mens/jackets-v ... -mens.html
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Tue 24 May, 2016 8:00 pm

My search skills are not working for me. I am sure I have seen a mention of Uniglo down jackets here or was I dreaming? If yes does anyone have an idea of the weight and pack size and general experience with these jackets? They seem to be liked over at BPL.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Giddy_up » Tue 24 May, 2016 8:08 pm

Aushiker wrote:My search skills are not working for me. I am sure I have seen a mention of Uniglo down jackets here or was I dreaming? If yes does anyone have an idea of the weight and pack size and general experience with these jackets? They seem to be liked over at BPL.

I have one of their vests and it's really good. I have been waiting for it to come undone somewhere or the down to migrate but it's going strong and failure free. I have the supernova jacket and I layer the Uniqlo vest under that for a very warm combo. I looked at their jackets in store and they are the same quality as the vest which is good.

Hope this helps :)
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Tue 24 May, 2016 8:41 pm

From memory my Large Uniqlo parka is around 290g. Pack size approx 10x25cm in the supplied stuff sack. Quality is excellent. I also have a vest on the way as we speak.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Tue 24 May, 2016 9:19 pm

Giddy_up wrote:I have one of their vests and it's really good. I have been waiting for it to come undone somewhere or the down to migrate but it's going strong and failure free. I have the supernova jacket and I layer the Uniqlo vest under that for a very warm combo. I looked at their jackets in store and they are the same quality as the vest which is good.

Thanks. I didn't realise they had an Australian retail face.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue 24 May, 2016 9:20 pm

Strider wrote:From memory my Large Uniqlo parka is around 290g. Pack size approx 10x25cm in the supplied stuff sack. Quality is excellent. I also have a vest on the way as we speak.

Thanks. Most helpful.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby damoprz » Tue 24 May, 2016 9:49 pm

I wear a small hoodless one. It is about 220g. The sleeves are a little small but I plan on adding some elastic to them. One thing I noticed trying them on was variation of sizing between there down jackets, I was a small in some and a medium in others.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 24 May, 2016 10:11 pm

damoprz wrote:I wear a small hoodless one. It is about 220g. The sleeves are a little small but I plan on adding some elastic to them. One thing I noticed trying them on was variation of sizing between there down jackets, I was a small in some and a medium in others.

Between individual jackets? Or between different designs? I have noticed some differences between designs in the size charts.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby damoprz » Wed 25 May, 2016 12:53 am

Strider wrote:Between individual jackets? Or between different designs? I have noticed some differences between designs in the size charts.

It was a different design, both were the same price and had the same label in the store, but looked slightly different.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eljimberino » Sat 28 May, 2016 12:31 pm

After tonnes of research I bought a Cumulus Pullover and an MLD Balaclava. Paired with Kora YAK baselayers plenty warm. In summer I'll use a montane synthetic beanie instead of the balaclava.

One feature to look out for is sufficient length at the back. It's a bonus if you can pull it down over your bum.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Mon 30 May, 2016 9:26 am

As for layering with a vest, I strongly suggest to keep an eye out for the Aldi version if they ever bring it back for sale.
Mine is 205g in L size.
Much warmer than a jumper or fleece at anything near to that weight and was only $39 .
BTW, I usually use M size so you need to try them on.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 31 May, 2016 10:45 am

Well my Uniqlo vest arrived this morning and, es expected, I am very impressed. Sizing is perfect in a Large, which is interesting as my Large parka is actually a little too big. I can see this getting a lot of wear this winter! :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Tue 31 May, 2016 4:09 pm

Not what I would describe as ultralight but Torpedo7 in NZ have the men's Marmot Ares jacket on sale for $199.99. There is also a 10% discount code, BONUS10 in play which may apply with this jacket; depends if the jacket is a clearance item or not.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 11:15 am

Strider wrote:Well my Uniqlo vest arrived this morning and, es expected, I am very impressed. Sizing is perfect in a Large, which is interesting as my Large parka is actually a little too big. I can see this getting a lot of wear this winter! :)

Good to know on the sizing. I think I will give their Ultra Light Down Jacket a shot given it is $89.90 at the moment.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby flippant » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 6:44 pm

I got a large hooded down jacket from Uniqlo for $99 last weekend. It fits well (I'm 5' 11" and a 42" chest) and weighs 270g. Haven't had a chance to try it out "for real" yet.
flippant
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking