bug protection

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

bug protection

Postby drakkar » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 4:37 pm

What do you guys use for this?

I typically use a terra rosa tarp or a cheap vaude bivvy depending on the footprint I will need.

Both have no netting etc, repellent doesn't last long enough.. And I'm getting sick of providing free meals for many little creatures.

Lots of options on the market, what are peoples preferences if any>?
drakkar
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: bug protection

Postby north-north-west » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 5:43 pm

MYOG aluminium foil helmet. I got the plans off the internet from www.conspiraciesareus.com
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GRLillistone » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 8:09 pm

Just get a bug bivy or some other net to string up under your tarp. Most suitable in the summer months when you also want to stay well ventilated. Just remember, if you want to remain protected from sandflies, like if you camped near the coast, mangroves or a salt pan, ensure your insect net is a very fine mesh. Sandflies are small enough to get through standard mozzie nets.
GRLillistone
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Scottyk » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 10:06 pm

A proper tent :)
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 25 Mar, 2015 6:40 am

Netting.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wildlight » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 2:26 pm

Have you considered rigging up a "Serenity Net Tent" to your tarp? Some ingenuity may be required- and by that I mean a bit of a customisation to get it working easily with your tarp, though it shouldn't be too difficult at all. The "Serenity Net Tent" is something which was designed to work with the "Gatewood Cape", and can be bought independently of the Cape.

It might just be the answer!

Cheers, WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 3:10 pm

I once made a netting thingy that covered from my head down to my waist, with elastic around the waist, and which was large enough to allow me to eat dinner inside it without the pesky NZ sandflies biting me, and that worked well. I have subsequently worked out that sandflies (and mozzies) cannot bite through lycra, so use lycra socks and gauntlets to protect the limbs, and cover most of my head with a buff, and that is more practical for me........however, I'm not sure what insects you are wishing to exclude from your dinner.

Alternatively you could do as NNW suggests, and use a Faraday cage, although I thought they were more useful to stop people inserting thoughts into your brain (or, have I overinterpreted NNW's post?!).

However, rather than MYO foil helmet, you can buy this

http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-a ... elmet.html

which allows you to use it as a helmet, cook in it, eat from it, AND use it as a Faraday cage, but not all at the same time, and none of which prevent little creatures from sharing your dinner!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Orion » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 12:59 am

andrewa wrote:I have subsequently worked out that sandflies (and mozzies) cannot bite through lycra...

What sort of lycra is that? I often wear lycra bicycle tights and have been bitten through them by countless mosquitoes. I wish they were mosquito proof.

I like bridal veil as netting since it is 1/3 the weight of standard bug netting and less than half the weight of the "nano" version. And it's cheap. Plus it makes me feel pretty.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby andrewa » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 6:42 am

Just normal lycra, however, it has only been lightly stretched to fit, so the fibres probably sit closer together than they would in a pair of bike shorts, which normally stretch considerably to fit.

ive given upon netting when it gets to sit anywhere close to your skin, as the little buggersbite through it. Bridal veil was rather coarse stiff netting wasn't it (~1.5-2mm) ? I think I found that sandflies could climb through it.
A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Orion » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 7:18 am

Yes, you're right. I wouldn't use bridal veil for sandflies or other no-seeum types. But for mosquitoes and larger flies it works well. Breathes better too. On hot days regular netting sometimes doesn't allow enough air flow.

edit: typo
Last edited by Orion on Fri 27 Mar, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 8:11 am

Sandfly are no mosquitoes. Their bite/stings are different and no surprise the Lycra can't offer mosquito protection. Have you seen the length of mosquito's piercing mouth piece?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 11:18 am

I have seen how long they are way too many times. The fabric either has to be more or less impermeable or at least a cm away. That's why I was surprised that lycra blocks them for Andrew.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 11:24 am

Ah, I see. I didn't see Andrew's side claim on mozzies. Then his Lycra must have some smell the mozzies don't like. ;)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking