Locus Gear Mids/ YEN exchange rate

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Locus Gear Mids/ YEN exchange rate

Postby Davidf61 » Sun 12 Apr, 2015 7:33 pm

Phew, work in the Pilbara is slightly less crazy and I can rejoin the human race.

So, I'm on the hunt for a "mid" and Locus Gear in Japan seem to make some stunners. I guess like most people I'm too busy looking at the US dollar [ and we all know where that is at the moment ] so MLD stuff seems a bit out there in price at the moment. I'm no authority on the exchange rate around the Yen, but since last time I looked, it seems a lot more reasonable to buy from Japan.

Anybody out there purchased Locus Gear products? and is the current Yen exchange rate in a good position or am I looking at it all wrong? With free shipping as well [ over 30 000 yen ] it seems a good time to buy.

http://locusgear.com/?lang=en
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Locus Gear Mids/ YEN exchange rate

Postby Chezza » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 9:00 am

The AUD/JPY chart does look better than the AUD/USD chart, but you really have to compare AUD prices.

As a comparison point, the Khufu CTF3 looks very similar to the cuben Duomid.

JPY 50000 for the cuben Khufu is AUD 542.

USD 440 + 25 (shipping) for the cuben Duomid is AUD 606.

Not much in it. Read up on reviews to make up your mind. The Locus Gear stuff looks more refined, but with cuben methods of construction and workmanship are critical. MLD have been in this game longer than just about everyone else. I don't know much about Locus.
Chezza
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: South Australia

Postby Joomy » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 8:56 pm

AUD to Yen is much better at the moment than many other exchange rates. My friend just bought a Tyvek Apollo from him, and I have to say that the new Hapi is really tempting. Locus have been making Cuben mids for years now so I don't think construction quality is an issue.
Joomy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Chezza » Sun 26 Apr, 2015 10:57 am

I found this regarding one of their sil mids:

http://intocascadia.com/2015/02/17/revi ... khufu-sil/

Note the issues with the stitching on reinforcing scrim around the bottom. Not sure how Locus are bonding this scrim to cuben but it's on their cuben tents too.

I really like the buckle and snaps across the zipper that MLD do. Takes most of the stress off the zipper. With Locus you have an independent tie out on each side of the zipper which would do a similar job but not as well.

That Menkaura looks like a nice cross between a pyramid and a Trailstar - low and sleek.
Chezza
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: South Australia

Postby jakeyarwood » Fri 04 Mar, 2016 4:42 pm

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread (again) but - David, did you end up purchasing anything by Locus Gear? If so, what did you go for and what are your thoughts? If not, no worries! :)
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tintin » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 10:55 pm

I have heard great things about the Locus Gear CP3 trekking poles. Birthday present to myself I think!

http://locusgear.com/items/cp3/?lang=en
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kitty » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 11:20 pm

Tintin wrote:I have heard great things about the Locus Gear CP3 trekking poles. Birthday present to myself I think!

I have 2 CP3, love them.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 8:28 am

Why? What's so good about them compared with say BlackDiamond's CF Z-poles?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kitty » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 8:53 am

I cannot compare them to the BD Zpoles sorry as I have never used Zpoles. I needed variable length poles, so that reduced my options.
After my old twist lock poles broke, my requirement was variable length, flip-lock, lightweight, minamalist but strong and the CP3 fit the bill for me.
I initially only bought one but have more recently purchased a second one - not sure why I didnt do that earlier - 2 is heaps better!
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks. Variable length would be a relevant differentiator. So how's their implementation? My experience with flip lock (or twist lock) is that they are significantly heavier and alter the weight balance in a negative way. Is LC's flip lock significantly lighter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kitty » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 7:42 pm

The CP3s are 150g each which is light for a flip lock design - I couldnt find lighter flip-locks when I investigated.
The experience I have had with the CP3s is all good. The poles are light, the flip locks are easy to open and close, the locks dont slip (unlike my old twist locks). I like that there is nothing extraneous on them, they are sturdy and functional. The poles compact small enough to fit in my checkin luggage (65cm).
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks Kitty for the experience. Will keep them in mind if ever I move to a walking pole dependent shelter.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking