Catoma IBNS, to fly or not to fly

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Catoma IBNS, to fly or not to fly

Postby mickb » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 8:47 pm

I am getting one of the catomo IBNS systems, which is basically a tactical mil approved version low profile pop out mozzie dome. http://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog/Pr ... eSupport=1
The advantages for me are it will suit my purpose for lightweight hiking in buggy jungle and open country with a tarp, and I can also use it for contracting and aid work overseas where I may be sleeping in communal areas or dirty hotels. It is also low profile enough I think I will be able to Aframe a mid sized lightweight tarp over it for strong rain, unlike a lot of taller bednet/mozzie dome brands out there.

I am torn between also getting the dedicated fly for it though or keeping my 9x8 tarp. What should I do? I have not used a bed net or tent in fact with a dedicated fly and I am trying to work out of the pros will out way the cons.
Pros?- will protect from rain completely in closed down configuration, unlike tarps which do need some careful placement and configuration in the worst weather. It will also have smaller footprint for finding sleeping space in extremely thick jungle than an Aframe tarp ,which would be nice but not vital.
Cons?- being it will turn it into essentially a single walled tent, will there be a condensation issue, and how hot will it get? Tarps almost always allow airflow, also I like their versatility being configured for a tonne of different things in different country.

Not sure what to do... I could even keep both in my pack worse case, put up with the extra few hundred grams...
mickb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Catoma IBNS, to fly or not to fly

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 20 Jun, 2015 9:46 am

So it is both a mozzie dome and a tub groundsheet? Sounds OK to me as biting bugs and other creepy-crawlies are the downside of tarp camping
Seems to me that if you get the dedicated cover all you are getting is a very small tent and loosing the advantages of a tarp
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby mickb » Sat 25 Jul, 2015 9:45 am

Hi yes it was both, but I decided against it as found out the catomas eventually break their lightweight popup poles and they do not sell replacement as spares.
mickb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby nq111 » Sat 25 Jul, 2015 4:54 pm

I'd stick with the A-frame tarp is this is for hot / humid conditions. You are right that a fully enclosed fly will be much hotter and stop the breeze (not that there is much within a jungle, but every little bit helps). Yeah, it will be a bit more mucking around to find a suitable site. Wind driven rain is not much of an issue in the jungle and in the tropics usually (unless you want to be out in a cyclone).

By the looks of that mozzie dome, it is designed to use with a stretcher bed, which I would recommend as getting up off the ground in really hot humid weather helps a lot with cooling.

As another option - have you considered a camping hammock at all? This would be easier to find sites for (you need the two trees / poles like the tarp, but the ground can be anything underneath). I use a hammock up here and it is the only way I can camp through the summer (though a stretcher bed would do much the same).
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby psknives » Wed 21 Oct, 2015 5:43 am

I use a Cotoma and use it on its own. It weighs about 800 grams, and i have a tarp that weighs 300 grams so total is 1100. Its lightweight, quick to setup and has a tough floor. Regarding the poles you can get replacements off their site
psknives
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking