Pack Weight for Overland Track in Tasmania

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Pack Weight for Overland Track in Tasmania

Postby wildlight » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 7:25 pm

hey wildernesswanderer

I'll just address the tent issue only here. have just come off the Overland, as in yesterday- and used a big sky Chinook 1p with 3rd pole. Copped the fearful winds of last week, and the tent was fantastic. My camps were mainly not near huts, more the high-and-wild locations- the very reasons we go into the mountains.

The Chinook 1p weight is accurate. the poles are strong and heavy- like Hilleberg poles. I'm not an engineer- and don't want to get into some discussion on alloys, but the poles feel more like Hilleberg poles than {another popular brand around here} poles. The tent copped wind, snow and rain. breathability was excellent, with the roof vents open, the inner was dry. I opted for the fabric inner, as I never seem to camp anywhere warm.

You can enter / exit from either side, the twin vestibule and twin entry arrangement is what sold me, as well as the 4 season capability. A mate in a more popular brand of tent, said the howling wind rocked his tent and kept him awake most of the night. That was after I asked him whether or not there was any wind, because the tent was so quiet.

Kudos to the Chinook- you'll be fine. I also went with a lot less other gear than you're taking. Another post on another day maybe. Essentially what I stood up in, plus a long polar fleece lightweight pant, and a lightweight polar fleece top. Never wore either of them. The only purpose those extra garments served, was more pillow height.

cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildernesswanderer » Fri 10 Jul, 2015 8:41 am

Thanks for the tent review, it's been hard to find reviews on the tent that have had it in bad conditions so nice to know it's well made and stood up to the elements. It's the lightest 4 season tent I have seen so was a bit worried how it would handle bad conditions.

Yes I have a bit of gear still going though stuff and at the moment down around 9kg but almost 2kg of that it camera gear so getting light enough.

As I said last 5 day hike I did I carried 24ish kg and will never do that again 9kg base weight is a lot better and I would take food won't be more that 4kg so 13kg sounds better than over 20 ;)
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wildlight » Fri 10 Jul, 2015 10:33 am

I went through my pack and repacked it last night. I don't carry spare socks, spare thermals, nothing. Just (as extras) a lightweight fleece pant and now, a lightweight top, after never wearing my heavy top once. And I have been off-track hiking in miserable conditions for over three decades, this is not based on a "lucky" first-hike.

Each to their own- as they say "hike your own hike". I weighed my pack last night with everything in it, for a week. Including food fuel and a litter of water, it was just over 9kg.

Instead of taking border-line necessities (shoes for 'around camp') I leave those behind now, having carried them for years and never used them. 'Borderline' stuff adds up…

cheers

Wildlight

*edit fixed a typo
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Fri 10 Jul, 2015 9:16 pm

wildlight wrote:I went through my pack and repacked it last night. I don't carry spare socks, spare thermals, nothing. Just (as extras) a lightweight fleece pant and now, a lightweight top, after never wearing my heavy top once. And I have been off-track hiking in miserable conditions for over three decades, this is not based on a "lucky" first-hike.

Each to their own- as they say "hike your own hike". I weighed my pack last night with everything in it, for a week. Including food fuel and a litter of water, it was just over 9kg.

Instead of taking border-line necessities (shoes for 'around camp') I leave those behind now, having carried them for years and never used them. 'Borderline' stuff adds up…

cheers

Wildlight

*edit fixed a typo

Wildlight I am impressed with your just over 9kg all up week- long pack weight ! I know 1 lt of water weighs 1kg and believe your tent weighs around 1.4 in its 4 season mode so that leaves you with 7 kg for everything else ? to help newbies and even old farts like me can you tell us where you do most of your off-track hiking and what you eat over one week please.
For one week I would need at a minimum 230g Gas =377g, 1lt Titan Billy 126g, 450ml titan mug 69g, titan spork 16g,and gas burner (stove in summer 25g and winter201g) flint igniter 40 gm,ipood and bag 121g,Insect/leech repellent Bushmans 75g,Black Diamond Ion head light 32g (at the least) plus TP, Tooth Brush and most certainly a change of jocks JIC :lol: ,winter 1057g summer 881g ,so that would take up around perhaps 1kg so you are down to 6kg for the rest.
If you have time a kit/food list would help please.
Cheers
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:13 pm

oops sorry
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nq111 » Sat 11 Jul, 2015 9:27 am

wildlight wrote:Each to their own- as they say "hike your own hike". I weighed my pack last night with everything in it, for a week. Including food fuel and a litter of water, it was just over 9kg.

Yeah, that is an extremely light weight.

I know for Tassie and similar colder walks I carry 700g of food per day (at a target average of 2,200kj / 100g), plus 60g fuel per day, plus a minimum extra day's food and fuel. So for 7 days food + fuel + a litre of water I would be looking at 7kg just there. I also would love to see your gear list.

Good to hear some experience of the Big Sky tent.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Pack Weight for Overland Track in Tasmania

Postby hobbitle » Sat 11 Jul, 2015 11:20 am

Very interested in your gear list too Wildlight :)
I thought I was doing OK with 15kg for a week (3l water)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildlight » Sat 11 Jul, 2015 8:51 pm

I'll do up a proper gear list in time- but the massive weight saving comes in the food dept. Out bush, I don't seem to want to eat anywhere near as much as I do "in normal life". Also- there are these meal replacements from Tony Ferguson which are 55g apiece, and one is allowed up to two per day. Throw in a third meal of 90g of freeze-dried or similar meat n veg, and you can soon see how the packed weight of my food drops. Sometimes a couple of good handfuls of scroggin and one of those Tony Ferguson meals is fine for me for a day. Other days I'll just eat half of a backpackers pantry or similar meal- and one or two Tony Fergs. I don't follow much of a rhyme or reason when packing food- and I never seem to suffer.

**I do carry a reserve around the mid-section… am not built like a greyhound...**

What I seem to be very aware of, is the need to stay hydrated.

I know this formula of such low "per day food" weight is against all normal thinking- but I have been doing it for years and been fine. Generally hit the first roadhouse and have a burger on exit from bush.

My most frequent off-track hikes happen in the upper Jamieson /Howqua areas, Macalister Spur (not Macalister Springs), Governor Range, the headwaters of East Caledonia River where the map shows rugged topography, Snowy Bluff from the north, love Reedy Ck Chasm, Cobberas, and just generally long, mongrel untracked spurs. Other examples include Mitchells to Sheepyard Flat via Governors and Mt Darling, also a long spur which goes South from Governors to Potato Patch- gosh the list is endless. Have done all of the biggest spurs going north from Jamieson River to a track called "Stony Ck Track"- I have had a fascination with untracked spurs for decades. Same goes for rivers- they would be "off track" too. Have followed some for days on end. Dropped off Dimmicks lookout, followed that river back up through Bryce's Gorge- done many walks similar in style to that one. Almost always solo.

But back to the gear question- if it's a "might be needed" (within reason)- it can stay at home. Sleep warm and dry, walk comfortable and dry, and you're half way there. Wet clothes (only damp really, under a rain jacket, or sweaty in warmer weather)- dry out "on you" as you sleep.

I use an "Arc Blast" stripped to bare essentials, from z-packs. As well as one of their quilts.

My system is probably a little rougher than most would like- it leaves less to chance. It's never let me down, in any manner of conditions. You sorta get into a system, hard to explain.

Hopefully this helps those who have asked, understand my method a little better.

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Sun 12 Jul, 2015 8:18 am

Wonderful country Wildlight. Fairly easy to get to, and once away from the car, one is unlikely to see another human. (Except possibly a solo or one of a pair deer stalker).

I too have found that I have never needed the "just in case" stuff, but cannot bring myself to leave behind the spare thermal and the spare set(I wear two pairs) of socks. I have never had a sock problem, but I like the cosy dry ones at night and keep thinking that that no spare socks is like no spare wheel/tyre :lol:

I'm skinny and hungry so I don't think your approach to food would work for me, although I may experiment with it on a short walk. I also carry a fair bit of ready to eat stuff (just in case again) and end up around 700/800 per day as a consequence.

I haven't check weighed for a while, but I think I am around 13kg for three days with water.

It's worth saying again - Wonderful, Wonderful Country :D :D !!!!
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildlight » Sun 12 Jul, 2015 11:51 am

Hey Stry

Now we're getting off-topic here- but another area I have criss-crossed from every conceivable direction, is the Avon Wilderness. Gone East of Mt Hump, followed Mt Hump Creek through the waterfalls, done lots through there.

One thing which drops the pack weight considerably, is the use of a Gatewood Cape as a shelter.It's not the case for this instance, but there's quite a few hundred grams saved. It would work in the snow- with a lot of this stuff- the skill and experience of the user with that particular product- play a huge part in success or failure.

Funny about the deer stalkers- poor buggers- I used to yell at deer to get them moving, and the stalkers used to not see any for months! It's a different world now- the deer are everywhere. One thing I used to "pick up" often was a lost hound or two. They were so loyal, it was hard to hand them back, used to drop them off @ BP Mansfield all the time.

Getting back into it with more seriousness now than previous few years.

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Sun 12 Jul, 2015 1:31 pm

wildlight wrote:I'll do up a proper gear list in time- but the massive weight saving comes in the food dept. Out bush, I don't seem to want to eat anywhere near as much as I do "in normal life".

Whatever works, works - no need to get too technical there :) I still loose weight (not too much) on my 15,000kj/ day ration in the mountains so wouldn't work for me too well i expect.

Back to the original topic, I think it is worth noting that South West Tassie (if that is the target) is several notches wilder in country, exposure and weather than Victoria or the Overland Track. The same gear and approach may still work, but please just give some extra thought before heading out there.
nq111

Region: Queensland

Postby Travis22 » Sun 12 Jul, 2015 7:16 pm

First thing i thought reading your list of places and big spurs Wildlight was you've got to be a deer stalker.

Given your follow up posts i see this isnt the case but you certainly mention some great stalking country.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby corvus » Sun 12 Jul, 2015 8:06 pm

wildlight wrote:I went through my pack and repacked it last night. I don't carry spare socks, spare thermals, nothing. Just (as extras) a lightweight fleece pant and now, a lightweight top, after never wearing my heavy top once. And I have been off-track hiking in miserable conditions for over three decades, this is not based on a "lucky" first-hike.

cheers

Wildlight

*edit fixed a typo

Wildlight
Now that I know a little bit about your gear I believe you should be posting on the UL thread and not on a Q&A type posts for most walkers, noticed that you mentioned using a 4 season tent on your recent OLT trip yet promote Poncho Tarps ? Love to lessen my load as the years creep up however for Tassie in all seasons with a mix of open walking and scrub bashing I have serious doubt that your (other than tent and possibly your Cuban Pack) would survive for other than benign Summer conditions.
Your comment that wet clothes dry out overnight in bed is in my opinion is coming from someone who has never been saturated in freezing rain /snow with 3 or four days of constant rain/snow !!, camp shoes ? what do you do with your boots in freezing conditions when they are saturated from River crossings ? as you don't take spare socks how do you prevent "trench foot" over a week long walk ?
You have not listed your food intake as such but use of weight loss food is a surprise! expensive and iffy imo :roll: do notice you use Backcounty meals so you must have a stove and billy ?
Mate happy for your input however I do get concerned that it could influence newbies .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby wildlight » Mon 13 Jul, 2015 10:41 am

Hey Corvus

Have done many multi-day wet ugly snow walks. I can't stand socks- even in the non-bush world, I am barefoot most of the time. I too have pondered the whole "wet foot" thing. The problem is- let's say you put on dry socks in the morning, it's only a few minutes before they're wet from something- so why carry a pair per day when you're just gonna end up with multiple pairs of wet socks?

I notice that what's more important- is being warm.

I feel the cold way less than most, get around in shorts even on the cold outbreak of this weekend, I was in shorts outdoors.

Regarding surviving Tassie scrub bashing, provided that the pack survives, then everything in it should be fine. Cuben is good- lightweight but does not last for ever. It needs replacing more often. Current pack is 2 years or 3 years old, has had a life- and it shows. A bit like the fat lady at the circus…

Without going into a drawn out discussion on what it will survive and what won't- my stuff and my approach work. Remember- and yes- a caution to newbies- this has been tweaked over a lifetime of refining. Pre internet, pre forums- learning by trial and error. I do come back from multi-day wet walks quite knocked about, never anywhere close to hypothermic- but the feet take a beating that multi pairs of socks won't prevent. Re the trench foot- yeah- I hear you. But irrespective of what I put on in the morning, they're wet within minutes, so to carry extra socks…?

Regarding the meal replacement stuff- it's not expensive- about $3-$4 for a meal, less than Backpackers Pantry. I don't use many of the latter- just the occasional booster (beef mince, spud), not so keen on their meals, most taste like cardboard. The mince, spud, scrambled eggs- can be eaten cold, just as powder.

Boots have never frozen in my tent, I lay them on their side and put them under the foot section of my bag. My feet soon warm them up in the morning, my feet almost always seem to be boiling hot, have had that all my life.

Regarding wet clothes drying in bed- rarely are they fully wet- I wouldn't cross a river just before camp- and clothes dry considerably as you generate heat from walking. Technique, clothing selection and thinking ahead have given me damp clothes at worst, but I am still warm.

Do realise here that everyone's different, reaction to and handling of conditions, situations- varies by person.

My mum- in her 90s now- was a holocaust survivor and an escapee from a POW. Now there's "ultralight" taken to the extreme. But she survived, and with far less than we have now. So from "being a kid" I had the following mantra drummed into me: "You can do it with much less stuff- why carry the baggage?".

It becomes a way of life.

Regarding your concern about my stuff surviving other than in benign Tassie summers- I accept your view. I carry good stuff- the quilt has had 250g extra down on top of Zpacks "best" spec put into it. I rarely zip the thing up. Got it in the 6' 6" size, about 8 inches or 10 inches too long- so I can crawl right into it when needed. And I do find that I need to, when I first jump in a bit damp.

It's just the way I roll- have done it that way for a long time. I don't always have as comfortable a time as those who might carry more- but I come back fine. I get out there to see things and take pictures, not to have all my domestic comforts with me. One thing that helps my body comfort a lot, is not layering up too much under my coat- I find that overdressing underneath makes life hell. What I put on is why stays on. Like I said- have carried spare "warms" but not used them, at least in the last few years, and that includes multi-day wet trips.

Regarding the stove and billy- yes, I carry a little gas canister and some self starting stove and ultra-light tiny pot, shich serves as billy, mug and prep vessel. I eat to get on with the next thing, not to enjoy the business of having food out there. I don't cook often out there- more work. I just get into something that can be eaten cold or hot- generally eat it cold, without prep.

I think back to early days of heavy packs- and wonder how I put up with it.

I do switch between Gatewood Cape and my newly acquired Chinook. The main 2 reasons for using the Chinook would be the uncertainty of being able to drive pegs into the ground (essential for Gatewood Cape deployment) and anticipating a tent-bound day or two, waiting for conditions to be right for photos. The Chinook is more of a livable option, with the 2 vestibules and door placement of the inner. The Cape has the door at one end, clumsy for doing stuff, accessing gear.

Hopefully this addresses it all- I'm sure your system works for you, as mine does for me. You would likely come back from your trips in less discomfort than I do- but I find a clear advantage in carrying less weight on my back.

A note to newbies- ease into this stuff. try it within cooee of your car, so you can bail back into warmth if something doesn't work as expected.

Also Corvus, as a resident of Vic, most of my walking happens here. Have done multi-day wet scrub in Tassie- believe me Vic can be ugly too! There is always the option of being able to light a fire here in Vic, though it's something I rarely do. My main mission at day's end is get into the tent / bag and relax. I sleep extremely well.

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Mon 13 Jul, 2015 6:54 pm

G'day Wildlight,
Thanks for that info ,like you I wear shorts every day (except for special occasions) summer and winter ,in fact these days I only wear long trousers when using overpants in bad weather and or Light fleece trousers of an evening at camp if it is cold.
I agree with you that putting dry socks on every day is daft however dry socks at the end of the day is a pleasure for me just use a couple of plastic bread bags over them if you are using "crocs" in the wet or putting your boots back on,put damp socks back on in the morning and you still have dry ones for the next night :)
Unlike you I cannot stand bare feet or thongs as I have plantar fasciitis and need the support of orthotics (crocs seem to have that built in) also being a skinny 68kg 68 year old man I find that I do need to eat more than you, I dehydrate home cooked many of my meals make my own jerky I have also found that Glucodin pure glucose tablets at 24kj per tablet gives me a boost ,you may wish to check them out for your LW food source.
I know that Gear choice is a very personal thing and as my body weight decreases and age creeps up I will need to look at the 25% pack weight ratio however as for basic gear like you I think I have gone as far as I feel comfortable with and like you will stick what I have.
Good luck to you in your forthcoming walks which I am envious of as owing to severe arthritis in both knees I find it hard to walk to the corner shop , roll on summer :)

Cheers
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby wildlight » Thu 16 Jul, 2015 6:46 pm

Corvus you're certainly welcome at any of my camps for a brew. I should mention however, there would be no way I'd have a spare cup for a guest, most of the time I am lucky to have a decent cup of my own- so do pack one. I'll certainly check out those Glucodins- have seen but never used them, now could be the time. Planning to wander out this weekend plus a day or two added on, to put the Chinook through some wet, slushy Vic snow.
68yo, plantar fasciitis arthritis in both knees and still carrying a pack? That's an impressive result. I take my hat off to you.
Cheers
WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Thu 16 Jul, 2015 7:50 pm

wildlight wrote:Corvus you're certainly welcome at any of my camps for a brew. I should mention however, there would be no way I'd have a spare cup for a guest, most of the time I am lucky to have a decent cup of my own- so do pack one. I'll certainly check out those Glucodins- have seen but never used them, now could be the time. Planning to wander out this weekend plus a day or two added on, to put the Chinook through some wet, slushy Vic snow.
68yo, plantar fasciitis arthritis in both knees and still carrying a pack? That's an impressive result. I take my hat off to you.
Cheers
WildLight

Wildlite,
Thanks for the invite, it is reciprocated any time you get down here (btw the PF is in my feet) and now that Spring is about to be Sprung I guess with "pills "I can convince the Arthritic Knees to do another wee walk with a pack soon, also I am lucky to have a big strong Son to carry the heavy load just like I did when we started all those years ago and it will most probably be back to where we did our first overnight hike when he was 11 and have done many times since then :)
Cheers
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby wallwombat » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 8:41 pm

I agree with those who said the Crux is an alpine pack that is designed for climbing rather than bushwalking.

Everything else seems OK.

I did the Overland Track when I was 15 (32 years ago) and there wasn't much in the way of ultra light gear back then.

I think my gear was

- Lowe Alpine Triolet pack around 2kg
-Paddymade Hotham sleeping bag 1.6kg
-Optimus Climber shellite stove ?? 300g
-Japara Jacket 400g
-Karrimat closed cell sleeping pad ???not much
-Army Hutchie 500g???
-plastic ground sheet ???not much
-woolen, shirt,woolen jumper, woolen socks, track suit pants,beanie???not much
-boot's +gaiters
-2liter plastic orange juice bottle
and a few other bibs and bobs

All in all, it was probably pretty light weight for the time and there were no problems with any of the gear.

My gear now is considerable lighter but I don't get obsessive about it.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking