Nepal gear list

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Nepal gear list

Postby Supertramp » Sun 25 Oct, 2015 8:10 pm

corvus wrote:
Supertramp wrote:To give you all an idea as to weather I have UL gear, my overnight pack or multi day pack weighs 4-8kg, 4kg is the minimum if I want to move fast, 8 kg is if I want to take a fishing kit, solar kit, chair & many other luxuries. If I want to I can pack this into a smaller bag & remove what is not needed.
If I culled my kit I could go SUL easily, so please don't start comparing who has the better (or lighter) kit.

As an old fart you have me totally confused ? regardless of your UL gear what do you eat ,drink for a Day walk? I would have at the least 875g water and bottle and 250gm food so there goes 1Kg of your 4Kg then add ipood ,10 sheet pack tissues ,PLB = + 285g that would leave me with around only 2.9Kg for the rest of your UL gear ? what do you recommend I purchase that I can lighten the load on my old knees with a daypack and raincoat to achieve your 4Kg please.

Others have already stated that's the pack weight, less consumables (water, food, fuel) this is done so people get an idea of what other peoples gear weighs as some people have higher consumable needs.

To give you an idea:

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/solplex.shtml

http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_pants.shtml

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/goosehood.shtml

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/ultra-down-pullover-k-series

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-r ... te/product

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/air-pillow-ul-l

http://snowpeak.com/collections/cookwar ... =671149681

http://zenstoves.net/BasicPressureBurner.htm

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products/ ... pha-light/

http://www.kannadmarine.com/us/safelink-solo-plb

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... mendations

I hope this gives you an idea of how you can remove some weight from your kit, all you would then need to do is add the extras, first aid, toilet paper, spare clothes etc.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby corvus » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 3:52 pm

Thank you
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby under10kg » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 4:19 pm

OK I am back in Australia.
This is an ultralight section of the forum and I wanted feedback from other ultralighters on my gear not just the negative feedback from people that do not use similar gear.
The gear list was designed for September and October in the everest region. NOT November or December where a down jacket would be better.

As mentioned I have used similar gear for 8 weeks in nepal. I was in that storm that killed so many at Anapurna.

Based on how my gear performed compared to people with the traditional heavy gear I feel my gear is MUCH saver if you are sensible and careful.

This is based on 4 assumptions from my trip.

1. I was better acclimatized that just about all others doing the passes. 3 days in namchi and a 2 day acclimatized rest stop and 3 days at the tea house before the first pass.
2. I checked the weather forecast before each pass. I find that the forecast is pretty accurate each day. The big dumps are forecast many days in advance.
3. I check the condition of the pass from people that have come over the day before.
4. I have a gps track for all passes.

Why is my gear safer with careful use.

1. Inov 212 runners that weigh 212 gms have a soft rubber sole designed to grip much better than the usual vibran boots. Comparing my shoes to boots many times I did not slip on steep snow but the usual boots were slipping. I estimated that I had 20% better grip on dirt, rocks, snow and a bit better on ice. 20% better grip gives at least 20 % or more safer trip in a twisted ankle or broken leg or a fatal slip The light gear and pacer poles has a huge factor in this too. The sole has a much better feel for the rocks compared to boots. These shoes have won more adventure racing trips than most others I believe. No one can argue that a shoe that grips MUCH better is not much safer in this regard compared to boots.

2.Pacer poles have a huge advantage compared to normal poles. You just have to try them to see this. You can place your whole body weight on the poles with no wrist strain at all. I can jump down 40 cm drops with no knee strain. This means I can descend up to 40% faster than a normal guy with heavy boots and gear. I did this on the second pass on the steep snow for a bit of fun. The other trekkers could not believe how fast I went. They were being super slow and careful and still slipping. If the weather changes I can get down below the snow line FAST.

3. Light pack weight. I started the passes at 6AM and finished them at 11 or 12AM. In October the bad weather usually comes in later in the day. I am back in a tea house while the heavy gear people are still hours away. Some took 9 hours while I took 5. You have to agree that less hours over 5000 m is much safer.
I met a guy and his son at the start of the walk. They had the tent, stove, heavy boots etc. Gear weighting 13 to 17 kgs. The dad had done the 3 passes 5 times and had a uncomfortable night out 3 out of the 5 times for various reasons. I do the passes and finish at 12 noon.

Who is safer??????

4.Less effort. The son I mentioned above one day tried to catch myself and my girlfriend walking at a comfortable pace looking at the wildflowers. He could not catch us at 100% effort. He walked in to lukla and was 22 and fit. I am 61 and I was not overtly fit at the start. I estimate having a 5Kg pack and heavy boots is 150% less effort compared to a 15Kg pack at 4000m. Less tired at the end of the day means less chance of a slip or making a bad decisions. Only one western person passed us on the whole walk at altitude over 3500m and I repeat I am 61.

5. GPS. Most people on the trip did not have gps or a gps track of the passes. This included ALL guided parties I saw. It is possible in heavy mist I would be the one helping others not the other way around. I did carry bivi bag.

To sum up. 20% safer shoes, 20% safer because you are in the tea house by noon and the weather usually changes in the afternoon, 10% safer because you do not get tired, and can walk muck longer distances if needed and have better poles and have GPS.

50% SAFER!!!

Gear performance.

Sleeping bag. I was not cold any night. 2 nights I put on insulating jacket. ALL my gear can be worn comfortably in my sleeping bag including my overpants and parka. These are very soft and can actually be worn as a base layer. Try doing that with gortex or event!! Note I feel the cold more than most as I live near Queensland.

Walking. One day walking to island peak it was snowing and 20 to 30 k winds. I had on 4 layers top and 2 layers bottom and I was warm.

Insulating jacked. Performed well and kept me warn. At times I used the wind jacket over the top for extra warmth. The windjacket is one of my most favored bit of gear for weight to warmth ration. Recommend you try one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pack. Reasonably comfortable at 5 kgs. Maybe zpacks would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Pacer carbon poles. LOVE them and you will too if you try them. Only bit of not being ultralight gear I use.

Performance of runners in snow.

Runners worked very well on steep snow without crampons. The snow was not icy or hard were crampons would have been needed.

I have walked for 8 hours on soft snow with these runners with no issues. The key is a vapor barrier or two. I use plastic bags but you can get more professional gear. Backpacking light has a great article on using runners in multi day snow trips. You can get insulating overboots for runners and use them with crampons if you wanted to do the passes after fresh snow. I use thicker socks than my normal walking socks when walking on snow. I was prepared to wait a day or so if the passes needed crampons or had fresh deep snow. If I had the extra gear like overboots and crampons this would have not been an issue.

Getting stuck overnight. Taking all of the above into account the chances of being stuck overnight is much much lower than the usual heavy gear boot combination. I had 2 bivi bags, My girlfriend is slim so 2 in one sleeping bag with the other over.The 2 packs have insulating backs so some insulation under us. I think I would be warm -10???? Most parties did not have tents or bivi bags, gps. I felt I was better equipped than most including guided parties. I even got a spare bivi to lend if needed

The guy that stated you needed a stove for water. The running water points on all passes were at the most 1.5 hours apart. NO one carried a stove for water in October.

The super light micro crampons worked well on steep snow. The attachment point on the sides needs to be welded to fit the runners and they need a proper strap. My girlfriend used them down a steep pass and the grip was much better on snow. They came off after 20 minutes so need some modification. We did not try them on ice.

Note most parties only do 2 out of the 3 passes due to fatigue. This included a guided party with porters. I saw parties coming in late in the day totally wiped out. They needed a day of rest the next day while I was fresh and day walking.

Yes I am into tantra and had sex with my sexy slim girlfriend just about all days!!!!!!! If I had put a 10kg pack on her it would have been sex no days!!! If you do not get sex every day in your relationship explore tantra!

Note that I posted a 6 kg gear list for the western arthurs some years ago. I got abusive comments about how I would need to be rescued. I was going to do it solo but because of all the comments about my gear I used this forum to get a walking partner. He had all the usual heavy gear and heavy boots that everyone was recommending. He was the one that we needed to get the helicopter in because he did his knee in!!

I have put a lot of effort and thought about how my gear performed on this trip and I have got little in return on this forum. I expect this will be my last post of this forum especially after the nasty post about my brother.
Moderator. Please remove the comment about my brother. It is a clear threat and not nice at all. Why have you let this post stay??????
Last edited by under10kg on Mon 02 Nov, 2015 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 5:01 pm

my brother in law is in nepal now, he's supposed to be climbing but can't because its still snowing, snow has stopped a lot of climbs throughout sept and oct.
gear lists can be unique to individuals because an individuals resistance to cold can vary considerably from person to person.
ultralight gear isnt recommended for this sort of environment. you have to be pretty certain of your ability to survive in all possible weather at the location you are travelling to, including if you become immobilised. and it has to be gear YOU can survive in, not what someone else says they can survive in..
anyone who hasnt been to this sort of environment before, should not be taking ultralight gear on their first trip there.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby under10kg » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 5:12 pm

I had 21 days in October at the everest area. The 3 passes were only closed 1 day I believe due to snow when I was there. It snowed 4 days out of 21 where I was. Climate chance seems to be making the weather less settled in October. We did the last 2 passes in totally clear sunny weather. Unfortunate for your brother in law as more snow must have come in after we walked out. :(
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 7:09 pm

under10kg wrote:OK I am back in Australia.
This is an ultralight section of the forum and I wanted feedback from other ultralighters on my gear not just the negative feedback from people that do not use similar gear.
The gear list was designed for September and October in the everest region. NOT November or December where a down jacket would be better.

As mentioned I have used similar gear for 8 weeks in nepal. I was in that storm that killed so many at Anapurna.

Based on how my gear performed compared to people with the traditional heavy gear I feel my gear is MUCH saver if you are sensible and careful.

This is based on 4 assumptions from my trip.

1. I was better acclimatised that just about all others doing the passes. 3 days in namchi and a 2 day acclimatised rest stop and 3 days at the tea house before the first pass.
2. I checked the weather forecast before each pass. I find that the forecast is pretty accurate each day. The big dumps are forecast many days in advance.
3. I check the condition of the pass from people that have come over the day before.
4. I have a gps track for all passes.

Why is my gear safer with careful use.

1. Inov 212 runners that weigh 212 gms have a soft rubber sole designed to grip much better than the usual vibran boots. Comparing my shoes to boots many times I did not slip on steep snow but the usual boots were slipping. I estimated that I had 20% better grip on dirt, rocks, snow and a bit better on ice. 20% better grip gives at least 20 % or more safer trip in a twisted ankle or broken leg or a fatal slip The light gear and pacer poles has a huge factor in this too. The sole has a much better feel for the rocks compared to boots. These shoes have won more adventure racing trips than most others I believe. No one can argue that a shoe that grips MUCH better is not much safer in this regard compared to boots.

2.Pacer poles have a huge advantage compared to normal poles. You just have to try them to see this. You can place your whole body weight on the poles with no wrist strain at all. I can jump down 40 cm drops with no knee strain. This means I can descend up to 40% faster than a normal guy with heavy boots and gear. I did this on the second pass on the steep snow for a bit of fun. The other trekkers could not believe how fast I went. They were being super slow and careful and still slipping. If the weather changes I can get down below the snow line FAST.

3. Light pack weight. I started the passes at 6AM and finished them at 11 or 12AM. In October the bad weather usually comes in later in the day. I am back in a tea house while the heavy gear people are still hours away. Some took 9 hours while I took 5. You have to agree that less hours over 5000 m is much safer.
I met a guy and his son at the start of the walk. They had the tent, stove, heavy boots etc. Gear weighting 13 to 17 kgs. The dad had done the 3 passes 5 times and had a uncomfortable night out 3 out of the 5 times for various reasons. I do the passes and finish at 12 noon.

Who is safer??????

4.Less effort. The son I mentioned above one day tried to catch myself and my girlfriend walking at a comfortable pace looking at the wildflowers. He could not catch us at 100% effort. He walked in to lukla and was 22 and fit. I am 61 and I was not overtly fit at the start. I estimate having a 5Kg pack and heavy boots is 150% less effort compared to a 15Kg pack at 4000m. Less tired at the end of the day means less chance of a slip or making a bad decissions. Only one western person passed us on the whole walk at altitude over 3500m and I repeat I am 61.

5. GPS. Most people on the trip did not have gps or a gps track of the passes. This included ALL guided parties I saw. It is possible in heavy mist I would be the one helping others not the other way around. I did carry bivi bag.

To sum up. 20% safer shoes, 20% safer because you are in the tea house by noon and the weather usually changes in the afternoon, 10% safer because you do not get tired, and can walk muck longer distances if needed and have better poles and have GPS.

50% SAFER!!!

Gear performance.

Sleeping bag. I was not cold any night. 2 nights I put on insulating jacket. ALL my gear can be worn comfortably in my sleeping bag including my overpants and parka. These are very soft and can actually be worn as a base layer. Try doing that with gortex or event!!

Walking. One day walking to island peak it was snowing and 20 to 30 k winds. I had on 4 layers top and 2 layers bottom and I was warm.

Insulating jacked. Performed well and kept me warn. At times I used the wind jacket over the top for extra warmth. The windjacket is one of my most favored bit of gear for weight to warmth ration. Recommend you try one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pack. Reasonably comfortable at 5 kgs. Maybe zpacks would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Pacer carbon poles. LOVE them and you will too if you try them. Only bit of not being ultralight gear I use.

Performance of runners in snow.

Runners worked very well on steep snow without crampons. The snow was not icy or hard were crampons would have been needed.

I have walked for 8 hours on soft snow with these runners with no issues. The key is a vapor barrier or two. I use plastic bags but you can get more professional gear. Backpacking light has a great article on using runners in multi day snow trips. You can get insulating overboots for runners and use them with crampons if you wanted to do the passes after fresh snow. I use thicker socks than my normal walking socks when walking on snow. I was prepared to wait a day or so if the passes needed crampons or had fresh deep snow. If I had the extra gear like overboots and crampons this would have not been an issue.

TRY IT. Get runners and thicker socks and thin plastic bag next to foot and thicker one over socks. Walk in snow for a few hours without stopping and see if you get cold feet. Report back to this forum on your experience.

Getting stuck overnight. Taking all of the above into account the chances of being stuck overnight is much much lower than the usual heavy gear boot combination. I had 2 bivi bags, My girlfriend is slim so 2 in one sleeping bag with the other over.The 2 packs have insulating backs so some insulation under us. I think I would be warm -10???? Most parties did not have tents or bivi bags, gps. I felt I was better equiped than most including guided parties. I even got a spare bivi to lend if needed

The guy that stated you needed a stove for water. The running water points on all passes were at the most 1.5 hours apart. NO one carried a stove for water in October.

The super light micro crampons worked well on steep snow. The attachment point on the sides needs to be welded to fit the runners and they need a proper strap. My girlfriend used them down a steep pass and the grip was much better on snow. They came off after 20 minutes so need some modification. We did not try them on ice.

Note most parties only do 2 out of the 3 passes due to fatigue. This included a guided party with porters. I saw parties coming in late in the day totally wiped out. They needed a day of rest the next day while I was fresh and day walking.

Yes I am into tantra and had sex with my sexy slim girlfriend just about all days!!!!!!! If I had put a 10kg pack on her it would have been sex no days!!! If you do not get sex every day in your relationship explore tantra!

Note that I posted a 6 kg gear list for the western arthurs some years ago. I got abusive comments about how I would need to be rescued. I was going to do it solo but because of all the comments about my gear I used this forum to get a walking partner. He had all the usual heavy gear and heavy boots that everyone was recommending. He was the one that we needed to get the helecopter in because he did his knee in!!

I have put a lot of effort and thought about how my gear performed on this trip and I have got little in return on this forum. I expect this will be my last post of this forum expecially after the nasty post about my brother.
Moderator. Please remove the comment about my brother. It is a clear threat and not nice at all. Why have you let this post stay??????

Glad to see you survived :) doubt you will be missed if this is your last post :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby J M » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 8:23 pm

It's good to see that your trip went well and all of your gear performed to your expectations. It's unfortunate that others don't seem to respect that this is an UL forum and for those with sufficient knowledge and experience this type of gear can be safe. Thanks for posting a review of your trip as well, it makes for some interesting reading.
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby corvus » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 9:07 pm

" Quote Getting stuck overnight. Taking all of the above into account the chances of being stuck overnight is much much lower than the usual heavy gear boot combination. I had 2 bivi bags, My girlfriend is slim so 2 in one sleeping bag with the other over.The 2 packs have insulating backs so some insulation under us. I think I would be warm -10???? Most parties did not have tents or bivi bags, gps. I felt I was better equipped than most including guided parties. I even got a spare bivi to lend if needed Quote"

Sheesh how slim are the both of you sharing the same sleeping Bag for 20 odd nights ? it is no wonder that you could engage in your tantric practice with so little room to move :shock:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 9:26 pm

The ULW aficionados may want to check out the BRS 25gm Gas Stove.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby wayno » Sun 01 Nov, 2015 8:37 am

I think people commenting on here just had under 10kg's safety and welfare at heart, if they didnt care they wouldnt bother putting their comments in about their concerns.
when going to places where the weather can be severe , experience has taught me some harsh lessons. when all you have to protect you from the elements is what you're carrying then make sure you are certain the gear you take can do the job..
yes so people were recommending against ultralightweight gear on the ultralightweight thread, if someoe were trying to go into the polar regions with ultralight gear , they'd probably comment simiarly, safety first...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 01 Nov, 2015 9:37 am

wayno wrote:I think people commenting on here just had under 10kg's safety and welfare at heart, if they didnt care they wouldnt bother putting their comments in about their concerns.
when going to places where the weather can be severe , experience has taught me some harsh lessons. when all you have to protect you from the elements is what you're carrying then make sure you are certain the gear you take can do the job..
yes so people were recommending against ultralightweight gear on the ultralightweight thread, if someoe were trying to go into the polar regions with ultralight gear , they'd probably comment simiarly, safety first...

What Wayno said

Also to be honest I think it's due to fitness more than the load carried
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 01 Nov, 2015 4:24 pm

Haha, Corvus, as an OAP you seem inordinately interested in the tantric sex :)

Wayno I think the idea was to get beyond starting-from-first-base every time UL gear is mentioned.. which is difficult.
Good result U10, any piccies? :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whitefang » Sun 01 Nov, 2015 4:33 pm

Glad to see your trip went well under10kg. Would love to see a more detailed gear list, if possible. Your base weight is light and the specifics have my interest.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby under10kg » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 9:12 am

I note that no one wants to discuss my assessment that my gear was much more safer when used with care than the heavy approach.

I will post some photos when I get them off my girlfriends camera. Yes I will update the gear list today.

Update to trip. Issues with the gear I used.

The pacer poles were very cold each morning for about 30 minutes when it was below freezing even with my gloves on. This is due to the plastic handles with no insulation.
I could have used a sock but a better solution would to make a thin closed cell fitted foam glove that fitted over the poles.
I keep thinking of drilling lots of small holes in the plastic handle of the poles but I have not done this as yet.

One morning I walked up the mountain beyond the pyramid (on the way to base camp) to 5400 or so meters.
The day was overcast and it started to snow. There is some scrambling at the top of this climb.

I found the possum wool groves too fragile for any serious scrambling and I turned back at 5300 before finishing the climb. Also I was solo and the rocks were getting wet. If I wanted to do more scrambling on this walk some better more robust gloves would be required.

The event overmits for my gloves were too big and I need to find some better fitting overmits.

I did buy some thicker socks at Namchi. The new socks I purchased for this trip were too thin compared to my normal walking socks.

My walking hat needed a strap in winds.

I feel a smaller, better fitting pack with a better waist band would have been a nice upgrade. I might upgrade to a zpacks pack soon.

I mentioned above that the mini micro crampons need some design work.

Apart from the above I felt my gear was pretty perfect ( for me and my girlfriend) for this walk in October. The only bit of gear I took but did not use was the down hood.

Note that one party did this trip with no sleeping bags while I was there. More risk.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 9:31 am

its great you chose gear that worked for you in that scenario.
it's safer gear , IF you can keep moving at a fast enough space, AND generate enough of your own body heat,
Everyones different, as i've said, what one person can be comfortable with another person may struggle to survive with, especially if they are forced to stop in bad weather. some people inherently generate more body heat than others even at rest.
i've seen people using ultralight gear in weather that I know from experience i wouldnt be comfortable using it in at all.
it's not one size fits all.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby under10kg » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 9:57 am

Wayno, You only know how warm high quality ultralight gear is when you actually try it walking in cold conditions. Have you actually tried something similar to my gear? Have you tried a windshirt? If you have not it might actually surprise you!!! It really did surprise me how warm I was when I first used this gear.

I really find it a drag when people are critical about modern light gear and most have NO experience of its use in cold conditions.

For example, I have found a heavy gortex parka much colder than my light weight highly breathable poly parka. (yes I know it is not for off track walks). Another key for me in my layering system is the rab windjacket that I find that 95% of walkers do not use.
I do know I feel the cold more than most Tasmanians!
It was below zero on one day with a strong wind and snow and I did not need to use all the layers I carry. In fact I have never needed to use all layers in 8 weeks in Nepal. My girlfriend had the same experience.
Yes I agree you need to keep walking to be warm in extreme bad weather and with runners in snow. Stopping you need to be in a tea house or put up the tent, bivi fast. I do know some ultralighters practice how long it takes to get into the sleeping bag in bad conditions. Backpacking light did a good article on this topic some time ago.

Detailed gear list.

NOTE. If you plan to copy my gear for a similar Nepal trip in May or October I do think you need to carry every item of gear that I used. Do not leave out I feel is essential the windshirt, quality downbag, wool thermals, mits plus overmits, overpants, parka, bivi bag etc etc and carry a high quality insulating jacket or light down jacket. I suggest to use a gps with the loaded track of the passes and do not go over the passes after heavy snow or a lot of ice (without microcrampons).

Get a porter if your gear is heavy, it is so much enjoyable to be light at altitude. $10 a day split in 2!!

Gossamergear G4 pack 460g Modified with central fabric spine.
http://gossamergear.com/g4-ultralight-b ... undle.html
Waterproof liner 110gm (Could have used lighter plastic bags)
Overpants+ parka 287gm
Froggtoggs
http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-UL121 ... W0F23N501H
Nunatak sleeping bag 820gms
Overfilled and I added a zip after purchase.
http://www.nunatakusa.com/
Down hood 92 gms
Zpacks has one lighter at
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/goosehood.shtml
shorts 120gms
overmits gortex 40gm
beanie possum 38gm
possum gloves 38gm
Rab Windshirt 92gm Love this piece of gear!!!!
http://rab.equipment/ww/shop/men/softsh ... il-pull-on
Backpack.com cocoon insulating top 225gm
wool long johns
+ wool top 350gm
Aarn day pack 200gm
socks 3 120gm
undies 3 150gm
First aid drugs 50gms
bivi bag 81gms
compass 18gm
Headlight black diamond 29gm
Water treatment Girlfriend carried?
plastic water bottle 30 gm
repair kit and smallest swiss army knife 40gm?
map ?
Plastic bags for shoes in snow?
2 microcrampons 10gm

Total 3673gms

Walking. GPS in pocket, Long shirt, long pants, carbon pacer poles, hat, face covering and face mask. Inov 212 runners

Pacer pole
http://www.pacerpole.com/
Inov 212
http://www.wildfiresports.com.au/inov-8 ... ue-shoes-p
Last edited by under10kg on Mon 02 Nov, 2015 11:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 11:47 am

i've got windshirts i've got the rab cirrus, i've got a 30gm wind vest, 180gm rainshell, i've got ultralight down jacket. insulated and down vest.
i've used them all in varying weather and i know what item is best for me in a given weather scenario...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby under10kg » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 12:00 pm

Ok good point. My assumption is incorrect. I do know I feel the cold more than most. Maybe all that tantric sex keeps my circulation going???
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 7:14 pm

I think my Montane windshirt may be even a little lighter than that
I do own some UL modern gear
I'm just more comfortable in some conditions with a different mind-set and I do rest/sleep very cold
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 7:37 pm

under10kg wrote:Ok good point. My assumption is incorrect. I do know I feel the cold more than most. Maybe all that tantric sex keeps my circulation going???

Glad you decided to keep posting and I suspect any sexual activity gets the circulation going especially two in one sleeping bag :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby under10kg » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 4:02 pm

Why do you guys keep talking about sex? I love talking about sex so much it is my profession and I get well paid to do so! However, I did not bring up sex in this thread first! If you really are interested in this topic send me a private message!
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 4:13 pm

under10kg wrote:Why do you guys keep talking about sex? I love talking about sex so much it is my profession and I get well paid to do so! However, I did not bring up sex in this thread first! If you really are interested in this topic send me a private message!

no thanks, I don't think you're my type :mrgreen:
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby under10kg » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 4:26 pm

Pitty!
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 8:18 pm

Sensing a religion here...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 3:28 am

everyone knows there is no other religion than ultralight bushwalking :mrgreen:
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 8:51 am

Under10kg it may have been adequate and safer for you, I think it would not have been for me.
I'm familiar with that BPL Cocoon pullover having sold it on and while it may have been adequate while walking at a moderate pace it would not have been warm enough for me when stopped; which apart from the short arms is why I sold it.
Getting the load as light as possible is SOP and with a bigger budget I'm sure I could shave kilos from my own baseline
I am interested tho [ very much so] in that 89gram bivvy bag as even my own UL SB protector masses 122 grams and I wouldn't consider it as anything other than a resistant cover and not a true bivvy bag; terms can sometimes be a little fuzzy
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 2:36 pm

froggtogg wet weather gear is extremely light and extremely delicate.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whitefang » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 4:53 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Under10kg it may have been adequate and safer for you, I think it would not have been for me.
I'm familiar with that BPL Cocoon pullover having sold it on and while it may have been adequate while walking at a moderate pace it would not have been warm enough for me when stopped; which apart from the short arms is why I sold it.
Getting the load as light as possible is SOP and with a bigger budget I'm sure I could shave kilos from my own baseline
I am interested tho [ very much so] in that 89gram bivvy bag as even my own UL SB protector masses 122 grams and I wouldn't consider it as anything other than a resistant cover and not a true bivvy bag; terms can sometimes be a little fuzzy

MD55, in my experience with the Cocoon Hoody you onsold to me I found it to be warm enough for me, but I think I run really hot. The lowest I've worn it in was around -3 plus wind at ~1800m after a night spent at Mueller Hut in NZ. I was wearing a t-shirt, cocoon hoody and my rain shell and was really hot while moving but my torso was warm while stopped. Cocoon Hoody was taken off after not too long of walking at a decent pace. Great piece of kit, it's just a pity about the arm length. It's now a back up puffy.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 9:30 am

My experience was that it was too warm for walking in and not warm enough when stopped.
Shelled and insulated mid-layers are hard to fine tune in my limited experience.
If insulation had been 50% heavier it would have been better for me when sessile. I did like the pullover style tho Two of these sized to fit over each other may have worked but then you have the extra weight of the added shell layer Also I like my puffy shells to come to or below my bum as I would also use them for sleeping in
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Supertramp » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 6:59 pm

under10kg wrote:OK I am back in Australia.
I have put a lot of effort and thought about how my gear performed on this trip and I have got little in return on this forum. I expect this will be my last post of this forum especially after the nasty post about my brother.

Under10kg,

Your attitude it the reason why I posted, what I posted.
You post assuming that everyone that had commented in this thread clearly had little to no experience with ultra light gear made you seem like you think you are the most experienced UL walker on this forum. I'm here to tell you to wake up!
It already sounds like you are a member on a number of the UL forums on the net & you clearly didn't need to (but seems like you wanted to) come on this forum to cause trouble.

I have UL gear & walk with UL gear, you seem to have ignored that & you ignore the fact that I am an UL hiker & disagree with parts of what you have said.

I'm glad to hear that your trip worked out well, but your attitude to people who had concerns about your safety & the gear list that you were taking was unwelcomed.
What exactly is the shelter that you use, or is it just a Bivvy? Do you personally think this could keep you warm in a freak storm with 100km/h+ winds + snow??

If your attitude improves, you might be a little more welcomed, yes peoples opinions were very direct towards your list. Have you ever thought that this is because people are concerned for your safety, or are concerned that somebody on the WORLD WIDE WEB might read your comment & take it as gospel?

Yes there are a number of people on this forum who do not use much in the way of UL gear, instead of being rude and putting them down, how about you try and encourage them in a positive way?

As stated, glad to hear your okay & that the trip was a success, just try not to be so rude in the future, his is the internet after all & not everyone will always agree with you.

You seem like you have a lot of experience & I'm sure people would want to learn more about your UL ways, just go about it in a different way okay?
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

PreviousNext

Return to Ultralight backpacking