Anyone got a Zpacks Arc Haul?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Anyone got a Zpacks Arc Haul?

Postby Suz » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 10:46 am

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has a Zpacks Arc Haul? And if yes, what they think of it?

Suz
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Anyone got a Zpacks Arc Haul?

Postby Orion » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 11:45 am

I don't have one but I ran into someone with one this summer. She was not a happy camper. One of the carbon fiber frame pieces had snapped early in her trip and she stopped me to inquire about ideas for patching it back together. It wasn't an old pack.

Of course that's part of the fun with going lightweight.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Suz » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 6:52 pm

ah oh dear :( good to know these things tho of course. it's a really expensive pack. thanks orion.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby drewmac » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi,

I have an Arc Blast 52 litre.
Had a look at Zpacks site.
The Arc Haul is the same just a different fabric which is tougher than cuben.

I love it.
No problems with the frame.
Light as a feather, comfortable, never get tired of it on my back.

I find the capacity of the 52 lt enough, even for multi day walks.
I have the extra belt pouches too plus a couple of home made shoulder strap pouches as well.
I do travel light and minimal though.
They recommend a max of around 16 kg for a Blast, I pack out max. 14 - 15kg for multiday walks for everything incl food and water.
I guess you could go little more in the Haul.

Breakages? yes if you go light you do have to look after your gear, but I am OK with that.

To beak one of those carbon struts would take some force, you bend them to create the frame shape off your back and get airflow, mine are pretty curved.

Exchange rate is a killer though at moment.

Best of luck in your search, there is a lot of options out there.
I looked closely at Gossamer Gear too, some people on here love them.
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Suz » Thu 08 Oct, 2015 7:03 pm

thanks drew. yep it's $$$, but not more so than a heavier Aarn pack. i am thinking maybe to go for the GG Mariposa tho - people love it and it's (comparatively) cheap.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildlight » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 8:49 pm

Suz
I've got an Arc Blast- the lighter version of the haul. Have had some issues with it, maintainable in the field no worries. It's had a life as colourful as the owner… over about the last 3 years! Have spoken with Joe from ZPacks and recommended some very minor changes which will yield massive gains in durability, these have defo been implemented by ZPacks.

As far as the toughness of the fabric- woohoo! Love it, **generally** you wouldn't hurt it in the bush, including off-track. The biggest threat is airport baggage handlers. Have scrub-bashed a lot with mine through ugly bushfire-regrowth and the pack is fine in those conditions. If you're considering it for your AAWT trip- (are you still doing it)- it's a great choice.

Mine's a bit like a smokey-bar / cabaret singer working the seedy end of town… lived a colourful life, copped a couple of whacks and bruises, still looks- **and feels!** darn good- even under scrutiny- turns up to every job, and gets it done with the loyalty of a Rottweiller rescued from the pound…it also hugs me with the affection of a loving parent. <- **hopefully the "non-gender-specifics" of that analogy will be ok with everyone here…

It has without doubt the most comfortable harness of all the packs I've ever owned "hands down". Second would be an Osprey Exos 58. Twice the weight of the Zpacks, built to carry heavier loads, and more "operations friendly" in that it provides better compartmentalisation for "stuff".

Cheers

WildLight

Edit fixed a typo
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eljimberino » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 2:39 pm

Find it difficult to believe a carbon rod had snapped unless something really unusual happened outside the realms of walking. Check out the video on the zpacks website where the owner is bending the rods as hard as possible without breaking them. http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_haul.shtml

I have an arc blast that I love. Have done a few walks with it now and it's better than any other pack I've tried - about ten I guess.

At some point I'm going to buy a arc haul for trips that need to carry more water/food.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 12:25 pm

I was debating with myself over whether I should have even posted that. It wasn't my pack. For all I know she backed her SUV over it at the trail head. But she seemed very genuine to me, and genuinely distressed over her broken pack, and adamant about never buying a zpacks pack again. So... I posted it.

Take it for what (little) it's worth.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby jjoz58 » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 10:34 pm

I have just been on 2 walks of 7 days in the Girraween and and 4 days doing the Yurraygir walk, with my new Arc Haul-Zip - Dyneema 62 lts, and I'm loving it. I got the Roll top added and I tend to use that instead of the zip a lot of the time. Also added two hip pockets. Find it hard to believe someone snapped a carbon rod, but there could have been a defect in it. Still getting used to it and where to store everything that I had down pat with my old pack of 4 years, but the 1.8kg drop in wt for the pack was nice. Seems pretty tough and the only thing I would have liked was deeper mesh pockets on the side as I use 2 x 1.5lt bottles with a source drinking tube and they are sticking out quite a ways. The flow through mesh on the back is cooler than the old Osprey and my rods have a fair bend on them. Obviously can't comment on long term durability, as yet.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby stry » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 6:46 am

Deleted - started a new thread.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Eljimberino » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 6:21 pm

After three weeks on the Bibb with the blast, I've decided when this one wears out, I'll buy another. I've put about 2000km on it now and it's great. I expect to get at least another 2000km on it, probably more. There's no real need for the haul once you get your weight down where you can.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking