Z Packs Arc Blast (or Haul) vs. GG Mariposa

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Z Packs Arc Blast (or Haul) vs. GG Mariposa

Postby stry » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 6:49 am

Lots of positive feedback on both of these in the forum, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with both, and what their observations are.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Z Packs Arc Blast (or Haul) vs. GG Mariposa

Postby whitefang » Sun 15 Nov, 2015 11:36 pm

Personally, I have no experience with either. However, Section Hiker has done extensive reviews on both here (http://sectionhiker.com/gossamer-gear-mariposa-backpack-review-2015-model/) and here (http://sectionhiker.com/ultralight-backpack-zpacks-arc-blast-review/).
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Sandbars » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 7:20 am

"I think it’s going to really boil down to fit, how much you want to spend, and how much you’re willing to wait They’re both excellent packs. Try both if you can. Also, I suspect that the Mariposa is in stock, and it’s about half the price of the Arc Blast.That’s almost always the problem with cuben…it’s almost always backordered by a month or more unless you buy a pack in the winter."

This is a comment by Phillip when asked to directly compare the two packs.
Sandbars
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby stry » Tue 17 Nov, 2015 2:25 pm

Thanks WF. I've seen those links, and while they are very helpful, I was hoping to find something from someone who had compared them side by side.

You are, of course, correct Sandbars, but buying both sight unseen and then trying to offload or return the unwanted one, is a rather financially luxurious way to save around .8 to 1 kilo. (Attractive but :D )
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jakeyarwood » Sun 24 Jan, 2016 11:07 am

Hi there! Just came across this thread whilst researching new packs. Stry, did you end up going with either one in the end? If so it'd be great to get your thoughts on which one and why.
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby stry » Sun 24 Jan, 2016 11:25 am

No decision made jake. Still using the OP Shadow, with which I am very happy.

Still on my mind though - just not a priority :)
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby The Perambulator » Tue 26 Jan, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi Stry,

Please excuse the late response. I have both these packs, my Mariposa is a few years old and has a lot of use and abuse (carrying more than the recommended weight, putting it down on abrasive surfaces and some scrub bashing). I ended having a hole in the mesh + bottom of the pack, I also found that the buckles/clips wouldn't maintain tension.

On the basis of saving some weight I replaced the Mariposa with a Z Packs Arc Blast. I finally got to use the Arc Blast over the weekend, along the Razor Back to Feather Top and up Staircase to Mt Bogong.

In my (subjective) opinion with a 5kg load the Arc Blast is more comfortable. However the comfort factor is offset by the smaller buckles, particularly for my large male fingers and the roll top.

I also doubt that the Arc Blast would be as durable as the Mariposa, (I am actually careful as to where I put it down).

Charlie.
The Perambulator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jakeyarwood » Tue 02 Feb, 2016 10:11 pm

stry wrote:No decision made jake. Still using the OP Shadow, with which I am very happy.

Still on my mind though - just not a priority :)

That's fair! Thanks for the response nonetheless. Be sure to update the thread if/when you do invest please :)
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eljimberino » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 11:57 pm

@the perambulator

Does your Mariposa have Rubic material?

If so, how does Rubic feel in relation to cuben hybrid?
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 10:19 pm

The Perambulator wrote:Hi Stry,

Please excuse the late response. I have both these packs, my Mariposa is a few years old and has a lot of use and abuse (carrying more than the recommended weight, putting it down on abrasive surfaces and some scrub bashing). I ended having a hole in the mesh + bottom of the pack, I also found that the buckles/clips wouldn't maintain tension.

On the basis of saving some weight I replaced the Mariposa with a Z Packs Arc Blast. I finally got to use the Arc Blast over the weekend, along the Razor Back to Feather Top and up Staircase to Mt Bogong.

In my (subjective) opinion with a 5kg load the Arc Blast is more comfortable. However the comfort factor is offset by the smaller buckles, particularly for my large male fingers and the roll top.

I also doubt that the Arc Blast would be as durable as the Mariposa, (I am actually careful as to where I put it down).

Charlie.

Many thank for your input Charlie. Somehow, I missed seeing your post, so my apologies for the tardy acknowledgement.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby The Perambulator » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 8:17 am

Eljimberino wrote:@the perambulator

Does your Mariposa have Rubic material?

If so, how does Rubic feel in relation to cuben hybrid?

Again sorry for the delayed reply, been away + ultra busy.
My Mariposa has a light grey material with white threads making small squares (8mm) and feels (after being washed a couple of times) like denim.
The arc blast at time of order was described as using Cubin, I would describe it as feeling like vinyl,that crinkles (noisily), similar to a cold tent fly.

Cheers Charlie.
The Perambulator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby melinda » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 2:46 pm

I have a Mariposa made out of the Rubic material.
It's stronger than it looks. No issues with it after using it for about 18 months!
Beautiful, practical pack. That tent quiver works very well in places like the SW of Tas.
No experience of a cuben pack but I do have a cuben fly. Awesome material, you can see the stars thru it in the night! :)
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking