ADVICE: Tent. 1 man. 3-4 Season

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: ADVICE: Tent. 1 man. 3-4 Season

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 1:01 pm

Reviving this thread for a little input on my current tent choices, I'm looking for the same thing - 3-4 season, light, not too expensive. I want to walk more in SW Tassie so I'm more concerned about durability and wind resistance than ultralightweight. I probably can't stretch the budget to a hilleberg etc. I love my 2 man macpac olympus for it's easy setup, big vestibule, room to sit up inside, very stable. Is it possible to get these features in a tent half the weight ?

I think I'm looking at is most likely a
MSR hubba NX $505 / 1300gms
Mont Moondance 1 $420 / 1600gms

As a good comprimise of 3 season tent, relatively light, good vestibule space. Neither will be as simple to pitch though unfortunately. I know a lot of people will recommend a Scarp1 with poles, but that comes to 1800 gms and I worry about the durability - or is that not an issue ? Should I just get a cheap one man like this: http://www.snowys.com.au/Hiking/Hiking- ... 74&id=7437 ? My main question is are these options a bit silly if I expect to use it on an exposed site eventually ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 5:50 pm

The Scarp is plenty durable. Mine comes to approx 2kg including all poles and tyvek footprint.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Franco » Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:07 am

This is a comment posted today about the Scarp 1 on a British forum :
The reason I've used the Scarp on my TGO Challenges is that it is bomb proof. I feel totally confident that it can deal with any weather thrown at it. As an example on the 2015 Challenge, on day 5, and it was very windy. I camped in Glen Markie, not far away from Bob and Rose Cartwright. I had no problems in the Scarp and cooked a meal in the porch. Bob and Rose had a terrible time in their Vaude Power Lizard. They were unable to cook and spent part of the time wondering whether their tent would blow away http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/201 ... art-three/ and http://www.theoutdoorsstation.co.uk/201 ... part-four/ . I slept like a baby :) . It's one of the best tents ever made.

http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?thre ... 581/page-3
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Sat 16 Jan, 2016 10:53 am

Bob and Rose run an outdoor business selling the power lizards and the Hexpeak. I'm surprised they didn't use the hexpeak as it's become quite popular over in the UK and on the TGO Challenge, along with the Trailstar. Maybe they ran out of stock :) On the TGO, there are also a lot of Henry's Tarptents to be seen. They wouldn't be there if they weren't up to it.

I can also vouch for the Scarp, it's a roomy and stable tent, reasonably light weight, but not fragile. I've had mine since 2010.

Also, you don't really need a self supporting tent on platforms. Take a few cuphooks to make the job easier if you prefer.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Sat 16 Jan, 2016 7:00 pm

Strider wrote:The Scarp is plenty durable. Mine comes to approx 2kg including all poles and tyvek footprint.

That's not as light as I was hoping :( I had a look at the TarpTent Rainbow, which is 1020gms including poles which is more what I was aiming for !

I'm still leaning towards the Hubba or Moondance, because I feel more comfortable knowing it's a two layer construction. Am I crazy ? If I plan on my next major walks being in exposed areas (SW Tasmania) would I be any more comfortable in the MSR than the Rainbow ? The rainbow looks more vulnerable with more mesh (it looks like the door is only velcro fastening ?) etc, I can't find mention of a solid liner like is shown on the description of the MomentDW, anyone know if it's available ?

Is there something completely different I should consider ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Sat 16 Jan, 2016 8:39 pm

The One Planet Goondie is another popular choice, more on the bomber light weight spectrum similar to the Scarp (which I prefer over the Goondie but that is another story, swings and round-abouts).
Mountain Rocket
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Sun 17 Jan, 2016 7:17 am

CN:
There's always a trade-off. Lighter tent means lighter materials, which are mostly less durable - thinner poles, thinner fabric, and so on. While there is plenty of sheltered camping in the SW, you cannot always guarantee you'll be able to get to it. It's up to you to decide how much risk you want to take of having a tent blown off you.

I've had my Scarp in 95kph winds on Eldon Peak and, while it wasn't particularly comfortable, it survived undamaged when what looked like a more sturdy tent didn't.

The other options are to go for something like one of the lighter Hillebergs or a cuben fibre tent - and these options are very pricey in comparison.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking