Best Ultra-light stove on ebay?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Best Ultra-light stove on ebay?

Postby Happy Pirate » Fri 08 Jan, 2016 7:52 pm

Apparently this titanium burner is about half the weight of the previous best contender - the Fire Maple 50 g. And at less than half the previous cost.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131632083946?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone tried one of these babies out?

cheers
Steve
Last edited by Happy Pirate on Fri 08 Jan, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Best Ultra-light stove on ebay?

Postby DanShell » Fri 08 Jan, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi Steve
There is a bit info on them on these forums already but yes I use one and I find it suitable for what I do.

They are small and light weight so they are on the fragile side but if used with caution they are great IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... lRw4oqtIb0
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby earthairfire » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 9:04 pm

I looked at them, but ended up with a Caldera Ti-Tri with Starlyte Burner (alco stove) instead: https://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-ti-tri

Stove = 16g
Windshield = 34g

Meths is heavier per unit of energy than gas, however you don't need a metal canister, so for trips of less than 2 weeks, this is one of the lightest setups I've found. Less flexible for pot size and simmering, but more flexible for fuel types (meths, esbit, wood), and a lighter overall system.

Tim
earthairfire
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby corvus » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 9:37 pm

earthairfire wrote:I looked at them, but ended up with a Caldera Ti-Tri with Starlyte Burner (alco stove) instead: https://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-ti-tri

Stove = 16g
Windshield = 34g

Meths is heavier per unit of energy than gas, however you don't need a metal canister, so for trips of less than 2 weeks, this is one of the lightest setups I've found. Less flexible for pot size and simmering, but more flexible for fuel types (meths, esbit, wood), and a lighter overall system.

Tim

I believe this would not be permitted for use on a Total Fire Ban Day :?:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 4:27 am

I'm no fire ban expert but my understanding is all burners would not be permitted for use unless in proximity to permanent building with constant running water available.I assume that would rule out most camping spots.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby corvus » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 10:12 am

MeanderingFlyFisher wrote:I'm no fire ban expert but my understanding is all burners would not be permitted for use unless in proximity to permanent building with constant running water available.I assume that would rule out most camping spots.

Just checked the Tas Fire web site and you are correct.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby skibug » Thu 14 Jan, 2016 8:14 pm

Yep I bought one of these last year, cheap enough that if it wasn't good it was a small loss. I've used it maybe 4 or 5 times, quite happy with its performance and weight, the major limitation being that it has a smaller platform on which to balance the pot, so extra care needs to be taken to avoid balance mis-haps, compared to other stoves. Roger Caffin also points out that the thread is plain aluminium, not the usual brass (?), so take care not to over- tighten and risk stripping. I would recommend, though only at this price - if it were a name brand selling for $100, it wouldn't justify the weight savings for me.

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Happy Pirate » Thu 14 Jan, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks for the review skibug.
As you say - its cheap enough to take a chance on.
And will only be used on U/L hikes anyway
cheers
Steve
With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Orion » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 7:40 am

I have one too and agree with all of those comments about it. It's also a little noisier than a typical gas stove.

I use mine almost every morning to make coffee since it's better suited for the narrow base of my moka pot than our kitchen stove and the simmer control is excellent. I've only taken it outside on one trip and it worked fine with my solo pot. It could be used with a bigger pot but wouldn't be the best choice.

It's so tiny... you could take a spare stove.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Eljimberino » Tue 19 Jan, 2016 6:01 pm

Anyone had one break on them?
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby n5750547 » Fri 29 Jan, 2016 1:25 pm

I ordered one of these although I will have to wait till the end of Feb to get it ($50 for express shipping didn't seem worth it). I found a video review from a guy that I follow on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qukSIeTgdo
n5750547
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby nocens » Mon 22 Feb, 2016 1:25 pm

I bought one as well after seeing the good feedback on here. I think I paid $15-$17 for it and its still going strong after maybe 30 nights use, and weighs right on 25g too!

Edit: Also does anyone know what the pot is that they use with the gas stove in the pictures on the Ebay site?
nocens
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Tue 23 Feb, 2016 1:49 am

nocens wrote:Edit: Also does anyone know what the pot is that they use with the gas stove in the pictures on the Ebay site?

It looks like the Winterial 2qt pot:
http://www.winterial.com/camping-gear/w ... t-set.html
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-C ... nd-Pot-Set
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby n5750547 » Thu 25 Feb, 2016 12:01 pm

I got my little BRS stove in the mail yesterday and it goes very well! I like it much better the my Optimus Crux Lite which doesn't simmer very well. It really is tiny and weighs almost nothing although it won't handle big pots as well as the Crux does (not a problem for my Toaks 750ml) because of its smaller span.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
n5750547
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Orion » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 2:14 am

It's small span and fragile aluminum threads have already been mentioned. But another disadvantage with this little stove is that it loses a significant amount of fuel with each connect/disconnect cycle. I'm not sure why. Maybe the pin is a little longer or the seal a little thinner. In any case mine always hisses while I screw it on or off.

I measured the gas loss. Three on/off cycles: 2.96g, or about 1g per cycle. I practiced so that I could do it a little faster and got it down to 1.46g/3, or about 0.5g per cycle. But I had to be careful as cross threading is a real danger with this stove.

I tried the same with my Snowpeak Gigapower stove and couldn't get it to lose any gas despite repeated cycles. I know that in the field it will hiss a little, sometimes. But never as much as the BRS does.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking