Lightweight shovel/scoop and bush saw suggestions?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Lightweight shovel/scoop and bush saw suggestions?

Postby mickb » Sun 17 Jan, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi guys, retiring my army entrenching tool from the pack as well as a 2lb small forest axe. Nice bits of kit but too heavy for the functoinality I need. Figured I can hike a lot lighter and wondered what folks use. I am not an ultralight packer by the way "lightweight or even lightish weight" is fine by me :)

To outline the digging requirment while not intending to dig pits to fight WW3, would still like something that digs better than a tent peg as the ultra light crew use. I fossick a litte depending where I am moving throughand being able to excavate 12-18" of dirt would be an 'occasional'bonus as well as levelling ground for sleeping, ablutions. Was thinking a decent garden spade would stretch it, but is there anything in between that and entrenching shovel? In rainforest I may need to punch through detritus/root matting before hitting soil..

For the sawing something fairly compact but effective. I'd like to be able to take apart decent branches and small trunks for firewood, at least as good as a small axe in the 1-1.5lb head category can.
mickb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Lightweight shovel/scoop and bush saw suggestions?

Postby mickb » Sun 17 Jan, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi Mods, I reposted this on the general equipment forum, please delete this one if you so wish
mickb
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Eljimberino » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 10:07 am

Suluk46 make what you're looking for if lightweight is a prerequisite.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Eljimberino » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 11:40 am

Just read that Suluk's saw isn't out yet, but shouldn't be long. Here's a photo.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 12:25 pm

That Suluk saw is a snow saw, it wouldn't be up to sawing trees, right?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Eljimberino » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 5:47 pm

The new one, the one in the photo, has been chopping branches good according to the photographer John Abela.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking