Mountainsmith Daylight waist pack

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Mountainsmith Daylight waist pack

Postby BarryK » Wed 27 Jan, 2016 9:10 am

In case anyone is interested, I have reviewed some waist packs, with a view to ultra-light hiking:

http://barryk.org/light/waist-packs/

The biggest one, the Mountainsmith Daylight (not the Day, that is a different model), is most intriguing.

I put a link to a youtube video of a guy who manages to use it as his only pack for multi-day hikes.

It is a nice way to hike, with nothing on the shoulders.
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Mountainsmith Daylight waist pack

Postby Eljimberino » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 10:48 am

Thanks Barry. Be interesting to find out if your body gets sore in unexpected places.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eljimberino » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 10:51 am

Also can you fit decent sized hip belt pockets to them?

A large chest pouch might work better than a day pack for extra stuff. I'm thinking of the zpacks multipack.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Watertank » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 10:02 pm

Barry, thanks for the careful and thoughtful review. I hope it works well for you and you can continue to enjoy the pleasure of hiking. I use the zpacks arc blast which weighs about 600 grams, I will be interested to see how your waist pack feels after a few days use. The funny thing about packs is, provided they aren't too heavy, that when I put them on I immediately feel the pleasure of the intended hike. If the waist pack doesn't work, perhaps a really ultralight pack with the same gear as you pack into the waist pack might work for you.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Ultralight backpacking