Ultralight flashlight w/ clip?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Ultralight flashlight w/ clip?

Postby jakeyarwood » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 2:00 pm

Hey folks,

So I'm currently after a flashlight to compliment my Petzl e+Lite for night hiking. I'd use the Petzl as a headlamp, and intend to use a small AAA powered flashlight as my waist level light. Though I'd swap around as appropriate (can strap the orientated Petzl to a trekking pole for example and clip the flashlight to a hat brim).
For the most part, I've generally been able to get by with no illumination whatsoever for short night hikes (3-4hrs max), preferring to let my eyes adjust when viable. I am now thinking it'd be wise to invest in another source of illumination to ensure maximum efficiency (i.e not tripping over and having to double check my footing so often) when the moon isn't bright, its overcast and/or I'm hiking in dense woodland areas where moonlight is limited.

Specifically I'd like said flashlight to have the following features:
- Under 20 grams or so without the battery
- Compact
- AAA Powered
- Long run times on lowest setting (and across the spectrum in an ideal world)
- 100 lumens or so at highest setting
- Have a clip so I can use it as a headlamp when desired
- Have some sort of attachment point for lanyard
- Shockproof and waterproof (i.e submersible - only for the purpose of longevity as I wouldn't be using this as an underwater light at all), i.e an IPX8 rating

Up to now, I'm considering: the Fenix LD02 or the Maratac AAA. The Maratac could be in the lead due to higher lumens and longer run time on lowest setting, it is also on massdrop right now for a very similar price to the Fenix LD02. Edit: The LUMINTOP Tool has become another possibility.

Any extra options to consider and general insight would be much appreciated.
Last edited by jakeyarwood on Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Ultralight flashlight w/ clip?

Postby whitefang » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 2:25 pm

Before reading your whole post my instant thought was the fenix LD02. I just ordered one for myself as a back up for my Petzl e+lite.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby jakeyarwood » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 2:30 pm

whitefang wrote:Before reading your whole post my instant thought was the fenix LD02. I just ordered one for myself as a back up for my Petzl e+lite.

It sure seems like a real solid choice! When you receive it you'll have to post back here with your thoughts :D
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 7:43 am

Have you also looked at the fenix HL10? its a bit heavier than your limit, but that includes the headband and holder, the light by itself is 19.6g so you'd have to find some sort of clip if you were not going to use the holder. both of your selections seem like good choices.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby jakeyarwood » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 5:24 pm

Gadgetgeek wrote:Have you also looked at the fenix HL10? its a bit heavier than your limit, but that includes the headband and holder, the light by itself is 19.6g so you'd have to find some sort of clip if you were not going to use the holder. both of your selections seem like good choices.

That looks pretty sweet. Though Fenix state it as being discontinued w/ an upgrade coming soon. I'll certainly be on the look out for the new version as I'm curious about the revised specs. Thanks for the tip. Glad to hear you think the other two are worthy choices anyhow!
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 9:44 am

I'm an unabashed fenix fanboy, the E05 (both versions) are part of my edc (house keys, work keys, and a spare!) the only reason I haven't gotten into maratacs is that I haven't found a competitive aussie dealer, so price just didn't work out. but everything I've read about them has been good.

An upgraded hl10 would be cool, I use it as a backup light on the off chance my BD spot gets flooded, it should still survive, and be able to use the AAAs.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby jakeyarwood » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 6:09 pm

Gadgetgeek wrote:I'm an unabashed fenix fanboy, the E05 (both versions) are part of my edc (house keys, work keys, and a spare!) the only reason I haven't gotten into maratacs is that I haven't found a competitive aussie dealer, so price just didn't work out. but everything I've read about them has been good.

An upgraded hl10 would be cool, I use it as a backup light on the off chance my BD spot gets flooded, it should still survive, and be able to use the AAAs.

And for good cause, Fenix products seem awesome. I agree, their distributor in the US also makes international orders a little complicated and pricey - so I can't fault the massdrop deal right now even if it isn't much of a discount per se! Good to know though. I can't find much bad press about the Maratac lights either.

That's reasonable and it's certainly a sweet backup choice.
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jakeyarwood » Thu 07 Apr, 2016 10:38 am

Just put my order in for the Maratac AAA. I'll report back with my thoughts once I receive it.
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby robbieb » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 2:15 pm

There are so many options for AAA sized lights, and though you have settled on the Maratac, some different lights are worth noting for others coming along later.

I use a Fenix E05 2014 model on my keys, comes on at 8 Lumens and steps through 25, and then 85 lumens, which it will stay at for 3 minutes before reverting back to 25. Been on the keys now for close to 2 years and going strong. No pocket clip though.

Flashlights I do also have are the Olight I3s EOS, and the Thrunite Ti3, both have 3 modes and strobe, both have sub 1 lumen low mode (0.5 and 0.04 respectively), lanyard attachment capability, reversible pocket clips so can be used as a cap light, and both can tail stand so you can use them like a candle. Around $30

The Olight sequence is M / H / L of 20/80/0.5 lumens, available in some nice different anodised colours
Thrunite sequence is L / M / H of 0.04 / 12 / 120 lumens, which I prefer for a night time reading / bedside table use light and for astronomy, as the low mode is great for not instantly wrecking your night vision. It is also available in Cool White which appears or Neutral White which has better colour rendition. Black anodised only, or silver Titanium for about $10 more

I haven't EDCed either of these two lights, but I did buy my wife a purple Olight, and it didn't last a year on her keys before it stopped working, though outside it was looking ok, not sure if it died from a drop. I have replaced it with an E05 2014.

I have a Fenix LD02, but I don't think it offers enough bang for buck like the others mentioned already.
At work, I bought a Pelican 1910 to put in the sheath next to the LM Surge. Also tried out the Tank 007 E09, and PA01, and the LED Lenser P2 Blue Moon, which smurfed itself so replaced it with another Pelican 1910.

Poor lighting, sorry, but here is the line up of AAA lights I have

L to R: Fenix LD02, Fenix E05 2014, Fenix E05 2014 Stainless Steel, Thrunite Ti3, Olight i3s EOS, Tank 007 E09 (now has pocket clip from Wife's dead Olight), Tank 007 PA02 (2 x AAA), Tank 007 PA01, Pelican 1920 (2xAAA) and Pelican 1910
robbieb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby jakeyarwood » Sun 01 May, 2016 1:45 pm

Excellent info Robbie and what a collection you have acquired! Thanks for the input. Which of your favoured ones do you find best in terms of battery life?
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby robbieb » Sun 01 May, 2016 11:22 pm

jakeyarwood wrote:Excellent info Robbie and what a collection you have acquired! Thanks for the input. Which of your favoured ones do you find best in terms of battery life?

Hard to say, but I think I've replaced the battery maybe once in the Ti3, though have replaced several in the i3s. The Fenix E05 I'd have no idea how many batteries it's been through. I've sometimes replaced it when I can't get High mode any more, though it will keep going until there isn't enough volts for low. I should keep them as spares for the Ti3 maybe.

If the Olight had same sequence as the Thrunite I'd like it more.

Have you got the Maratac yet?
robbieb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jakeyarwood » Mon 02 May, 2016 11:10 pm

Good to know!!

Unfortunately not. Massdrop orders seem to take a while, not to mention Australia Post. I'll post here with some initial thoughts when I receive it :)
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jakeyarwood » Wed 11 May, 2016 7:34 pm

Received the Maratac AAA late last week. Haven't been able to test it out night hiking or anything yet but with a few tests in my yard I'd say it's more than ample for extended walking after dark. Lumen settings go from Low (1.5 lumens), Medium (40 lumens) to High (138 lumens). Battery wise, the low setting equates to 55 hours of use whereas on high you get around 70 mins out of it on a single AAA. It packs a real punch in a tiny package. It appears tough and the O-ring seal ensures it's IPX8 rating (not eager to test but have seen it done on youtube to confirm this). The item with clip, battery and lanyard attached weighs 27 grams which is certainly favourable considering it's high output potential. The diffuser pictured is a nice touch, and will be ideal for using the light as a lantern in my hammock or ground shelter. Seems like a good buy up to now but only time will tell.

PS, I added the lanyard. It doesn't come like that.

IMG_1333.JPG
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby robbieb » Thu 12 May, 2016 5:01 pm

Nice one! If you ever lose the diffuser, the cap off chapstick/blistex/most lip balm tubes are about the right size, or for a longer wand type the cap off the Vicks Vapo Inhaler.
The bright reflective lanyard is a great idea for not losing it, they are pretty small lights.
robbieb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jakeyarwood » Thu 12 May, 2016 11:34 pm

Ah yeah... Seems like a piece that can be easily misplaced so thanks for the tip Robbie! Yup, that's just some Lawson Glowire, sheath only - had to remove the inner strands so the cord would fit through the hole in the bead. I may end up sticking on a couple of real small strips of high vis tape around the body of the light as well to be extra safe.
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking