Big Sky Wisp 1P

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Big Sky Wisp 1P

Postby Aushiker » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 3:05 pm

Massdrop had a drop on the Big Sky Wisp 1P which led me to discovering that there is a very lightweight variant which starts at 300 grams + +. Whilst it does use a trekking pole (an issue for me bicycle touring) I am assuming I could sort out an alternative pole at a fairly light weight.

Anyway what is wrong with this tent? :) Besides the supply issues with Big Sky at least :)

Thanks
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Big Sky Wisp 1P

Postby Mark F » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 4:26 pm

The tent looks fine for the weight, it has a couple of vents (high and low). It could do with a guy attachment on the large rear panel.

Zpacks have a range of poles that may be suitable and pack down to about 30cm. I am getting a couple for my Soloplex for a cycling trip to Denmark.

From the Big Sky web site the tent is 120cm high so the Zpacks 122cm pole would be ideal. It folds to 28.5cm, 57 grams.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 7:06 am

Single wall?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Aushiker » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 2:02 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Single wall?

Yes
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 3:48 pm

Are you willing to use single wall tents on account of weight benefits? It's not that much of a penalty to move to double wall. Worth it?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 4:25 pm

Possibly the same tent or very similar. Even the name is very close but the colour ... yikes :)

3F gear on Aliexpress. This particular tent is AU$110.28 but does weigh at least 650 grams.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Mark F » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 4:59 pm

Assuming the tent has reasonable ventilation single skin tents work well. You are more likely to come in contact with condensation but a chux or similar deals with that reasonably effectively. Double skin tents where the inner is mainly mesh just isolate the condensation until it drips off onto the inner. With a fabric inner then there are benefits in colder or windier conditions.

On the 3F tent I don't like the way the floor is sewn directly to the fly, much better to have a strip of mesh separating them as it provides better ventilation.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Franco » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 10:09 am

Sometime ago I did some quick calculations on that 3F tent, looked a bit short to me.
That is having someone on a mat and inside a sleeping bag.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 11:51 am

Franco wrote:Sometime ago I did some quick calculations on that 3F tent, looked a bit short to me.
That is having someone on a mat and inside a sleeping bag.

It comes out of China and I'm not surprised if catering for 7' hunky males was not high in the design criteria. :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 4:47 pm

For those that don't go to BPL , here is what the Massdrop guy had to say :

"Hi All – I hope I can shed a little light on the Wisp 1P shelter, and Big Sky as a company. Full Disclosure: I am the Buyer for Ultralight at Massdrop. I will try to remain objective here and just provide info, not commentary.

@caesar – I think this tent is as strong, or stronger, than a similar-sized tipi.

@family-guy – I hear you about the inner space, and that is why I think Big Sky calls this a Super Bivy – it’s much roomier than a bivy but maybe not quite a solo tent. There is more vertical space than the similarly-priced ZeroGram Zero1 plus the side entry.

@aushiker1 – Big Sky will be selling a pole for this shelter within the next month or so. Not early enough to be included in this drop, but certainly worth looking into.

@rmeurant – I can’t change the design, but I can work on getting the Mirage 1P on Massdrop this summer…

@aushiker1 – the shelter on alibaba is a copy of Big Sky’s Wisp, and unfortunately that’s a risk of manufacturing today.

@family-guy – Correct, the tent as offered on Massdrop, does not come with guyline or stakes. We do this intentionally, as it keeps costs down for those of use who already have too many stakes at home. I for one have at least 40 stakes from various tents, and I’d rather save $15 than have another stake set. I also prefer to mix and match my stakes for most trips, so I have a couple of titanium v-stakes and peg/hooks, plus a few large aluminum tub stakes. However, I do appreciate the other perspective, that it’s nice to have a complete package of tent, stakes and guyline.

I hope this helps. I have the tent right here at my desk and can try to answer any additional questions. Bob, from Big Sky, usually responds to questions in the Massdrop discussion.
"
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby psknives » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 7:10 pm

I have had one for 2 years. The condensation is terrible! Even in winter its bad. The only way to minimise it is by opening the vestibule to get air flow and then you still get it.
I recommend the lightheart awning tents they are fantastic.
psknives
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby hakea » Fri 03 Jun, 2016 5:32 pm

psknives wrote:I have had one for 2 years. The condensation is terrible! Even in winter its bad. The only way to minimise it is by opening the vestibule to get air flow and then you still get it.

can you link me to these lightheart awning tents?
hakea
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aidan » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 4:07 pm

hakea wrote:
psknives wrote:I have had one for 2 years. The condensation is terrible! Even in winter its bad. The only way to minimise it is by opening the vestibule to get air flow and then you still get it.

can you link me to these lightheart awning tents?

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents (?)
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi all - I have a Wisp and at first hated the condensation and I said "Screw you, I'll buy a Trailstar" - however since mucking around with a Trailstar - adjusting stakes etc. - I have worked out that if you use all guy points and spread it out - I recon you get 20% + space and its a good well made shelter. There is condensation, but it is away from you.
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wallwombat » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 11:30 am

There is a Kiwi company - Intents Outdoors - that sell a single wall and double wall version of this tent. The single weighs 670 grams and the double wall weighs 890 grams. They are both pretty cheap.

I like the look of the double wall as it can be used without the inner for an ultralight option.

Both are made of Ripstop nylon rather than sylnylon which make them a bit heavier but also make them perform better in the wet.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 25 Apr, 2018 9:48 pm

Just following on from the thread - two photos on 'pulling' out the Wisp - yes, condensation will arrive regardless but a quick wipe down is easy. I think the small footprint/compactness works for some hikes/conditions. I'm keen to test this little tent in harsher conditions and will report back.
Pulled Wisp 1.jpg
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 25 Apr, 2018 9:49 pm

Pulled Wisp 2.jpg
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides