UL cooking pot - suggestions...

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

UL cooking pot - suggestions...

Postby Stew63 » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 11:55 pm

I've finally seen the light and am about to start switching to UL hiking so I can move faster and more comfortably.
I've got so many Ti hiking pots, pans, frypans etc. already but I've come to the conclusion I will need to rethink everything and get one more.

I was thinking a single UL Ti pot (with lid?) ~700mls that can fit a single/small gas canister and my Kovea Ti stove.
The gas canisters are 89mm in diameter. Ideally the pot could double as a mug too. I don't want a JetBoil system.
My S2S collapsible bowl/mug has a diameter of 109mm - be good if that could fit inside too.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable pot or even a better overall idea?
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: UL cooking pot - suggestions...

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 6:36 am

do you want built in handles? do you want a fry-pan lid, or a straight one? after that its pretty much down to picking the maker, snow peak, MSR, Toaks, whoever else.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ofuros » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 7:51 am

Snowpeak hybrid trail cookset 770ml...nice little wide bottomed unit with fry pan lid,
plus a silicone bowl thrown in, getting harder to find nowadays.

P5270050 (Small).JPG
P5270050 (Small).JPG (43.86 KiB) Viewed 60144 times

2013-05-25 08.00.56 (Small).jpg
2013-05-25 08.00.56 (Small).jpg (50.02 KiB) Viewed 60144 times

Gsi minimalist 600ml....bit smaller than your asking for, narrow style pot with insulated lid & cosy,
small canister with burner & bits & bobs will fit in there.

P2260064 (Small).JPG
P2260064 (Small).JPG (40.61 KiB) Viewed 60144 times

Vargo Sierra 750ml...ti with lid. A cross between the two.

P6060053 (Small).JPG
P6060053 (Small).JPG (43.21 KiB) Viewed 60144 times

Japanese maker Belmont make a great variety of titanium cup, pots & lids.
Left 650ml & 600ml deep sierra on the right.....import only though.

IMG_20160421_094951 (Small).jpg

You've opened a can of worms with so many choices out there.....hope you find the one that suits your needs. :wink:

Ooroo,
Ofuros

Sent from my X98 Plus(A5C8) using Tapatalk
Last edited by ofuros on Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby RonK » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 8:24 am

For its versatility I'm planning on a Vargo Bot and Bot Cosy.

I will nest a Vargo 450ml travel mug, a gas canister and a Kovea Spider inside.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby undercling-mike » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 11:42 am

What have you got already? As you can see there are many different options.

In terms of your request I've got one like this (exactly the same but with a different brand): http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 07531.html

which fits well the description of what you're after. 700ml with lid and cozyish stuff sack, fits a small cannister and my little primus screw on stove, not going to fit your S2S bowl/mug however. I've been happy for basic solo cooking or boiling water for rehydrating etc. Obviously a limited size for more elaborate cooking but perfect for a lot of situations.

I think you would have to go up to the similar 1.1L pot (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 61802.html) to fit the collapsible bowl plus the other stuff you mentioned.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:10 pm

I use a 700ml aluminum beer can and a 25g stove. Along with a piece of foil as a windscreen and a mini lighter my kit (not including fuel) weighs 79g. The beer can is far from ideal though. It's tall and narrow and tricky to handle when hot. Really only suitable for boiling water or cooking soup. Eating/drinking out of it can be challenging at times. I slathered some silicone on one of them to make it easier to work with but usually I just take a naked one. The canister doesn't fit inside so I stuff other items in there.

If someone made a lightweight aluminum pot of roughly 1 liter volume I would buy a bunch of them. Nobody does though. Titanium mugs weigh several times more and cost a bundle.

So you have all of those Ti mugs and pots to choose from. They're kind of expensive and relatively heavy, but still better than standard bushwalking stuff.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aushiker » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 12:21 pm

RonK wrote:For its versatility I'm planning on a Vargo Bot and Bot Cosy.

I will nest a Vargo 450ml travel mug, a gas canister and a Kovea Spider inside.

I am taking a similar to Ron's approach but going with handles and will be using a Caldera cone from Trail Designs (modification of my existing Sidewinder Ti-Tri stove setup.). The pots on my short list at the moment are the Alpkit MytiMug 650 (~AU$42) or the Evernew Titanium Non-Stick Deep Pot 640ml (ECA401) (~$77). However I now see some options at Aliexpress so will be considering them as well.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Giddy_up » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 1:08 pm

These are my two, Snow Peak 900 and 600 with little lids. I wasn't a fan of the frypan lids that they came with.
Image1461207978.364495.jpg
Image1461207978.364495.jpg (375.33 KiB) Viewed 60082 times
Image1461208030.735487.jpg
Image1461208030.735487.jpg (348.21 KiB) Viewed 60082 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Supertramp » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 5:27 pm

Orion wrote:I use a 700ml aluminum beer can and a 25g stove. Along with a piece of foil as a windscreen and a mini lighter my kit (not including fuel) weighs 79g. The beer can is far from ideal though. It's tall and narrow and tricky to handle when hot. Really only suitable for boiling water or cooking soup. Eating/drinking out of it can be challenging at times. I slathered some silicone on one of them to make it easier to work with but usually I just take a naked one. The canister doesn't fit inside so I stuff other items in there.

If someone made a lightweight aluminum pot of roughly 1 liter volume I would buy a bunch of them. Nobody does though. Titanium mugs weigh several times more and cost a bundle.

So you have all of those Ti mugs and pots to choose from. They're kind of expensive and relatively heavy, but still better than standard bushwalking stuff.

The extra weight comes (mostly) from the fact that the Titanium pots are much thicker than the alloy beer cans.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby icefest » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 7:46 pm

If you want the lightest pot + lid combination use one of these pots with an alfoil lid. Use the carbon fibre lid if you want extra strength.
http://www.rutalocura.com/Ti_Pots.html

My setup:
850ml pot 95g
Al lid (homemade) 5g
Brs 3000T Stove 25g
Bic mini lighter 7g
TOTAL: 122g for Pot + stove + lighter.

The 550ml pot with carbon fibre lid weighs 64g, giving you a total weight of 97g
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Tintin » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 10:00 pm

I recently changed up my cooking system. It is quite similar to icefest's setup, except I went with an Evernew pot as it was much cheaper than a Ruta Locura pot (or MLD). It is also just as light and has a slightly bigger capacity.

Evernew 900ml Ti Pot (without lid) - 73g
BRS 3000T Stove - 25g
Pot Cozy - 15g
Mini BIC - 11g
MSR Spork - 9g
Handy Wipe - 6g

139g in total.

I use the pot cozy lid as my cooking/boiling water lid. The stove, spork, lighter and handy wipe, including a 100g gas canister, fits snug in the pot which fits inside the cozy. The pot can also hold a 230g canister without the rest of the kit.
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby icefest » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 10:41 pm

I do like that setup a lot, tintin!

Do you take another mug/cup? I've been a bit hesitant with the evernew pot as I'd miss my mug...
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Tintin » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 11:37 pm

icefest wrote:I do like that setup a lot, tintin!

Do you take another mug/cup? I've been a bit hesitant with the evernew pot as I'd miss my mug...

I used to take a S2S X-Mug (63g), but now this set up with a cozy allows me to use the pot as a mug. For an example where I use the most water (breakfast), my approach is to boil enough water to use for my granola and a coffee. After boiling the water, I pour it into the zip lock bag which has my granola in it, and then stick the zip lock bag in the pot cozy so it is easier to hold when hot. I then put the instant coffee and powdered milk into the remaining hot water in the pot and drink from that holding the handle.

When hiking with my partner, it is the same situation - except she brings her X-mug for tea, which will also fit in my pot with the other gear. The 900ml pot capacity allows me to only use one boil to make breakfast and drinks for us both.

At dinner it's easier as I only boil water to rehydrate meals. I might have a cup of tea later in the evening from a different boil.

I am working on making a Ti windscreen which can be used with the BRS Stove and also curl around the inside of my pot when stored. It will probably weigh ~15g, but not needed where I am hiking at the moment as there are other ways to use wind breaks.
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Orion » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 12:31 pm

Tintin, that looks really good. Maybe I'll convert to titanium after all.

What do you use for a cozy?
And do you carry any sort of windscreen?

I forgot my cup recently and had to drink my coffee out of a metal pot in the morning. I don't recommend it. I couldn't drink it until it had cooled a lot and then it tasted too cold. One possibility to fix that problem is to use silicone "lips". Snowpeak sells them, but you could make your own with silicone sheeting or by just painting some silicone onto the pot in a spot or two.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tintin » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 3:45 pm

Orion wrote:Tintin, that looks really good. Maybe I'll convert to titanium after all.

What do you use for a cozy?
And do you carry any sort of windscreen?

I forgot my cup recently and had to drink my coffee out of a metal pot in the morning. I don't recommend it. I couldn't drink it until it had cooled a lot and then it tasted too cold. One possibility to fix that problem is to use silicone "lips". Snowpeak sells them, but you could make your own with silicone sheeting or by just painting some silicone onto the pot in a spot or two.

An old windshield sun protector. Not as yet for the BRS 3000T, working on a a couple designs which also fit in the pot.

That's a possibility. There's also the "sugru" mound some people have used.
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Aidan » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 2:18 pm

I've read of a propencity for Ti to offer hot spots when cooking.

What are they like for cooking things like porridge or should I say cleaning after eating said porridge?

I read a lot of cycle tourers trying to head in the direction of trying to get by with a single pot.

I'm not quite convinced yet .

I could see the appeal of a pot and a Ti cup that could be used to heat water on a heat source with the caveat of easy cleaning.

I might be able to get by with a pot and heatable beverage cup of maybe 650 - 750ml, but those 450ml cups would leave me wanting.

So far I've been happy with the convenience of my Trangia cookset with its kettle, but I'm keeping an open mind.
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Mark F » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 2:50 pm

While I am keen on Ti pots for my style of cooking, if you want to "cook" porridge rather than pour boiling water onto instant oats then the best pots are the hard anodised aluminium. Any foods where the consistency starts to be quite thick and requires simmering rather than bring to boil and put in cozy have a high potential to stick to the base of Ti pots. Size wise I use a 900ml pot solo and with my partner. With smaller pots, 500-600ml you tend to fill them almost to the brim and in my uncoordinated state things tend to spill and get messy.

I always carry a separate mug. This may be either plastic or Ti depending on the particular trip. My favourite plastic mug is the bottom half of a Jalna yoghurt pot which slips exactly over a 230g canister. Mark up the outside so it acts as a measurer. If I carry a Ti mug I usually carry a 550ml to make coffee or tea. The mug also acts as my water purification container (Steripen Freedom)

P1000854.JPG
Cooking kit

Pot 900ml and cozy 89g
Jalna mug 600ml 36g or Ti Goat 550ml Ti mug with lid 71g
Caffin Stove 85g or BRS 3000T 25g
Victorinox paring Knife with home made sheath 20g
S2s alum spoon 9g
Mini Bic lighter 11g
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 5:38 pm

Aidan wrote:I've read of a propencity for Ti to offer hot spots when cooking. What are they like for cooking things like porridge or should I say cleaning after eating said porridge?

When we last rode together I was using my Evernew Ti pot, an [url=http://aushiker.com/evernew-titanium-pot/]Evernew ECA252 which is 900mls[/url]. I have no problems with it cooking the basic meals I cook; e.g., a bit of carrot, garlic, Italian sausage mixed with water after a bit of frying. The balance of the meal is generally pasta which I let cook off the stove anyway.

As to breakfast I boil the water and powdered milk, add instant porridge and eat from the pot.

Cooks and cleans up fine.

At breakfast for example I boil sufficient water to make a cup of coffee, then add the milk etc to the remainder so 900 mls is more than enough, in fact I only really need 600 mls of capacity.

I might be able to get by with a pot and heatable beverage cup of maybe 650 - 750ml, but those 450ml cups would leave me wanting.

450ml would be my minimum I suspect so I would go with a 600ml pot for a little bit of a margin.

I do carry a plastic mug for my coffee and if I want a drink in the evening have to boil the water for the tea before I do dinner.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Mountain Rocket » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:59 pm

Mark F wrote:While I am keen on Ti pots for my style of cooking, if you want to "cook" porridge rather than pour boiling water onto instant oats then the best pots are the hard anodised aluminium. Any foods where the consistency starts to be quite thick and requires simmering rather than bring to boil and put in cozy have a high potential to stick to the base of Ti pots.

This is exactly my experience using Ti pots. Great for boiling water, not so much for 'cooking' but hey it works for me.

I personally use a Snow Peak Pot 830ml (103g) when I am by myself, or a Snow Peak Cook n' Save Pot 2L (227g) for two. My preference for Snow Peak over most other brands was the simple fact they are made in Japan.
Mountain Rocket

Region: Tasmania

Postby [Jack]son » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 8:02 pm

Orion wrote:If someone made a lightweight aluminum pot of roughly 1 liter volume I would buy a bunch of them. Nobody does though. Titanium mugs weigh several times more and cost a bundle.

Have you seen these by Batchstovez? http://www.batchstovez.com/batchstovez- ... ok-pot.php 32oz aluminium pot at USD$19. Perhaps one option?
[Jack]son
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby BarryK » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 11:32 pm

I own a TOAKS 700ml pot, only weighs 90g (including lid):

http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium700mlpot.aspx

The company do sell internationally, but I think also amazon.com sells them.

I have a piece of aluminium flashing 0.3mm thick, wraps inside the pot, to use as wind shield.
It is sold as rolls at Bunnings -- 150mm x 10m (cost $14), so I have a lot left over.

I have a little Vargo Triad stove, weighs, I think, 28gm, but I have ordered a Packafeather XL stove, coz I am most intrigued by the flame control on a cable. I expect its arrival any day now. Site:

http://packafeather.com/xlstove.html

...the XL will fit inside the pot, and only weighs 45g.
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stew63 » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 7:45 am

A review on the XL when you get it please.
I'm most intrigued and tempted.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryK » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 8:48 pm

Stew63 wrote:A review on the XL when you get it please.

Yes, will do.

I have been eagerly awaiting its arrival. I thought, it has to be delivered today... but no.
Online tracking (Australia Post) showed that it arrived in Perth at 10.00am on Monday 6th June, now it is Friday 10th night, so I will probably get it on Monday -- delivered an entire week after arrival in Perth!

There is a review here:
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/60535/
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:07 pm

I have a few nice "nominal Ilt pots including "four Titan and two Adonised ,cooking wise the FMC-XK6 is the best at 216g followed by a Bullin BL200-C7 212g which includes a Mug /Lid,the first Titan is a blast from the past a Tatonka which I purchased around 20 years ago ,true 1lt + 250ml lid pan 141g (must get out and use again) stretching the measure is the MSR 1lt Kettle 120g (most used) then I come to the Evernew UL Pasta Pot ECA-522 which is the worst pot I have ever purchased ,yes it is light 115g however the base "bows"whenever I have used it and I can actually bend it out of shape with just finger pressure so cannot give this a thumbs up.
Hope this helps.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby BarryK » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 12:50 am

BarryK wrote:
Stew63 wrote:A review on the XL when you get it please.

Yes, will do.

I have been eagerly awaiting its arrival. I thought, it has to be delivered today... but no.
Online tracking (Australia Post) showed that it arrived in Perth at 10.00am on Monday 6th June, now it is Friday 10th night, so I will probably get it on Monday -- delivered an entire week after arrival in Perth!

There is a review here:
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/60535/

Here is my mini-review of the Packafeather XL stove:

http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00365
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 2:13 am

[Jack]son wrote:
Orion wrote:If someone made a lightweight aluminum pot of roughly 1 liter volume I would buy a bunch of them. Nobody does though. Titanium mugs weigh several times more and cost a bundle.

Have you seen these by Batchstovez? http://www.batchstovez.com/batchstovez- ... ok-pot.php 32oz aluminium pot at USD$19. Perhaps one option?

No, I don't recall seeing that pot before. Thanks for the link.

It's not quite what I was looking for. A 32oz pot at 105g -- it's four times the weight of my 700ml can-pot and also heavier than that Evernew 900ml pot.

They say the 32oz size is "for those who cook for two" but when I cook for two I take a pot twice that size. I wouldn't be able to prepare most of our meals in a 1qt pot. My 2qt dime store aluminum pot weighs 115g, not including the lid, and cost $8 -- I wish I'd bought another one.

What I was really hoping for was a sub-50g 1qt pot, including lid and some sort of handle or grabber. It's got to be thinner of course, which means it will get bent up and wear out faster, but I'm okay with that. I'd buy a bunch of them if they existed.

Another weight saver that I wish were sold is a thinner walled fuel canister. That's never going to happen though.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 8:35 pm

Finally got around to getting a Sidewinder Ti-Tri stove, 12-10 burner and bundled with an Evernew ECA251R 0.6litre 'flat' pot which arrived today.
I've ordered the small Zelph Starlyte burner (original/regular) from woodgazstoves which is smaller than the 12-10 and will fit into the new pot with everything else - which the 12-10 won't.
So far on initial observations and boiling only 1x600ml of water I'm VERY impressed. This is one stunning unit and of all my stoves is definitely now my favourite.
Beauty in it's design, simplicity and functionality.

Question: Should I be using any special type of metho (for minimal carbon) or will Diggers from Bunnings be suitable?
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 10:03 pm

Stew63 wrote:.

Question: Should I be using any special type of metho (for minimal carbon) or will Diggers from Bunnings be suitable?

You can add 5% water to your ordinary Metho to reduce carbon .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby johnrs » Thu 11 Aug, 2016 12:06 pm

Simple inexpensive light anodised aluminium billys?
Try Mitchells
http://www.mitchellsadventure.com.au/sh ... cts_id=292
More available in store.
John
johnrs

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking