The Zpacks Arc Blast as airline carryon

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

The Zpacks Arc Blast as airline carryon

Postby BarryK » Thu 26 May, 2016 11:50 pm

I was just about to post this question as a p.m. to Eljimberino, but then I realised others might want to contribute some feedback. So this is what I was about to send to him:

Hi,
Sometime ago, you responded to my forum post about waist packs. You recommended the Zpacks Arc Blast.

Do you have the latest model, with the adjustable torso height?

I have come around to thinking that I want one too!

But, I'm trying to decide on whether to buy the short or medium model.
The short model is described as adjustable between 16 and 20 inches (40.6 - 50.8cm), and at the maximum setting would be fine for me. This is measured from bottom of hip-belt to shoulder-strap anchor point.
However, I was wondering how much that range would have to decrease by, when the frame is tensioned?

What is your experience, do you bend it by very much? About how much does the height decrease for you, when tensioned?

I am a bit wary of published dimensions, or even advice given by the sales reps -- last year I bought a pack from the USA (not one of the super-expensive ones), and beforehand I sent an email asking the exact distance from bottom of hip-belt to shoulder-strap anchor point -- but when it arrived, I measured it and it was an inch shorter than the fellow had told me.
It was still OK, just.

The reason I would prefer the short model is as carryon with airlines. Qantas specifies a max length of 22 inches (56cm), and the medium model seems to be a tiny bit over that. Qantas link:
http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/carry-on-baggage/global/en#carry-on-baggage-allowances

I probably should post this as a general forum question!

Regards,
Barry
------------------------------------

Has anyone ever taken a medium-size Arc-Blast and fitted it into one of those size-limit frames that they have at airports?

Note, I propose to carry it inside a duffel bag. I did own a super-lightweight one from S2S, but someone "borrowed" it and that's the last I saw of it. I have another from Kathmandu. These are designed to be just on the limit for carryon, and as far as I can determine without actually owning one, the short Arc Blast would fit in the duffle bag. Don't know about the medium.

This is the duffle bag that I once-upon-a-time owned:
http://www.traveluniverse.com.au/Lightweight-Travel-Duffel-Bag-Sea-to-Summit.htm
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: The Zpacks Arc Blast as airline carryon

Postby Eljimberino » Fri 27 May, 2016 9:48 am

Hi Barry,

Firstly, not sure how I would suggest an arc blast as a waist pack - but anyway.

I have taken my medium sized arc blast as carry on a few times. I think as long as it's under the weight and isn't fully loaded (not bulging up above your shoulders as you stand at the counter) you should be fine. Inside a duffle bag should be even better.

I have the older model - so cannot comment on the new model, but the new one is easier to perfect a fit, as far as I know. Zpacks are very specific with weights and sizing.

If you're on the cusp of a size I would size up and adjust the frame to suit. Adjusting takes five seconds. I'm a medium but would be confident I could adjust a large to fit. I leave my arc bent and have no problems, the carbon can handle it. When the frame is bent the height loss would be negligible, probably less than a cm - certainly less than a pole vaulter's pole bends. If you get the smaller size you might find the line loc rubs on your shoulders.

Hope this helps.

(By the way - we're all eagerly waiting your follow up to your solar panel thread.)
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 27 May, 2016 10:06 am

The Arc Blast is listed on their site as being 30" in the top to bottom dimension and that's way over what airlines would allow for carry-ons. If you can compress it down to 20-22", then there's no reason why you can't carry it onboard. However, given the tight space on aircrafts, it's just general courtesy to not carry on one's back and have it swing all over with webbings dangling, disturbing fellow travellers and making self a high vis target from those 'carry-on police'. Have it wrapped up in a tight duffle or similar and hand carry it onboard, it'll be easier to store too in the overhead.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby photohiker » Fri 27 May, 2016 11:32 am

I don't have an Arc Blast, but I routinely carry an Exos 34 on airlines which is the same height (56cm) right on the max.

I have carried the Exos on small commercial planes all the way up to Qantas jets. Never been an issue. Virgin seems less pedantic about cabin baggage than Qantas. Haven't had an issue with Qantas for the exos, but have seen people stopped because they had an extra bag. Once, the lady in front of me was stopped because she had a garment bag extra and the attendant was giving her a hard time. I walked up and thanked her for carrying my garment bag and she caught my drift and handed it to me and we both walked on the plane with the attendant looking peeved. You don't often win against those officious types, but I did that day. :D

Never seen any disturbed passengers regarding backpacks. I have seen some problems with overweight cases being pulled out of lockers and falling on people though.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 27 May, 2016 1:04 pm

QF/JQ are Nazis when it comes to policing carry-ons. If you can get away from their eyes, then it's all good on the other majors.

In relation to backpacks disturbing fellow passengers, I was referring to those who carry big load packs, not a compact Exos 34 (I also have one) and smaller daypacks. When those who carry over-stuffed and large packs aboard and move around in the cabin, the packs have a tendency to hit seats and other passengers by 'accident', along with all the dangling webbings like a Christmas tree. So worth packing it tight before boarding for all's benefit.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby BarryK » Fri 27 May, 2016 1:19 pm

Eljimberino wrote:Hi Barry,

Firstly, not sure how I would suggest an arc blast as a waist pack - but anyway.

Ha ha, I should have clarified, you were suggesting that if I upgrade from waist pack to a backpack, the Arc Blast is a good lightweight choice
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 27 May, 2016 2:20 pm

First a question, are you looking for a pack to take your walking kit on a plane so avoiding checking it, or are you hoping your walking pack (Arc Blast) will do for general travel as carry on? If it is the first option then you always hit the problem of tent pegs, knife, stove, walking poles etc so you are usually forced into having to check a bag. If it is the second then there are some nice packs around (usually os) that will deliver freedom from checked baggage but wouldn't really cut it as a serious hiking pack. I have a MontBell Tri Pack 30 for travel that legally fits all airlines requirements for hand luggage so no worrying if you get snarky check-in staff or travel on Ryanair. All the straps fold away and it has worked well when travelling os and in Australia.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby BarryK » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:35 pm

Mark F wrote:First a question, are you looking for a pack to take your walking kit on a plane so avoiding checking it, or are you hoping your walking pack (Arc Blast) will do for general travel as carry on? If it is the first option then you always hit the problem of tent pegs, knife, stove, walking poles etc so you are usually forced into having to check a bag. If it is the second then there are some nice packs around (usually os) that will deliver freedom from checked baggage but wouldn't really cut it as a serious hiking pack. I have a MontBell Tri Pack 30 for travel that legally fits all airlines requirements for hand luggage so no worrying if you get snarky check-in staff or travel on Ryanair. All the straps fold away and it has worked well when travelling os and in Australia.

I want a proper hiking backpack, like the Arc Blast, and not have to check it in. I don't use walking poles, I have worked out a tent setup that doesn't use poles, the only things that would worry customs are the tent pegs and a small folding knife. But, I was thinking of just posting those in the mail.
Or buy them at the other end! -- but, that depends where I'm going.

I asked my question about the height of the Arc Blast when tensioned, at the Zpacks website, this is the question I sent them:

The short Arc Blast is stated to have adjustable torso height from 16
to 20 inches.

However, that would be with the frame poles straight, wouldn't it?
How much height would typically be lost when the poles are tensioned
with a slight bow?

This is the reply from Matt at Zpacks:

Thank you for your interest. The Torso Height is estimated with the packed Arc'd.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Huh? :?
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eljimberino » Sat 28 May, 2016 1:43 am

BarryK wrote: I don't use walking poles, I have worked out a tent setup that doesn't use poles,

Photos of your pole-less tent please Barry.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryK » Sat 28 May, 2016 2:34 am

Eljimberino wrote:
BarryK wrote: I don't use walking poles, I have worked out a tent setup that doesn't use poles,

Photos of your pole-less tent please Barry.

Not yet, it is a work-in-progress.

OK, I have figured out how much height loss when an Arc Blast frame is tensioned.
The Zpacks site recommends a bend of 2.5 inches. Probably I could have figured it out from high school geometry, how much shorter a 20 inch rod would be if bent 2.5 inches, but that stuff has become too vague in the mind. So I just got a plastic ruler and bent it. Scaled down of course. Then scaled up the result.

The loss of height is 1.2cm or 0.46 inches.
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BarryK » Sat 28 May, 2016 12:19 pm

BarryK wrote:I asked my question about the height of the Arc Blast when tensioned, at the Zpacks website, this is the question I sent them:

The short Arc Blast is stated to have adjustable torso height from 16
to 20 inches.

However, that would be with the frame poles straight, wouldn't it?
How much height would typically be lost when the poles are tensioned
with a slight bow?

This is the reply from Matt at Zpacks:

Thank you for your interest. The Torso Height is estimated with the packed Arc'd.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Oh, I am thick sometimes. I didn't know what Arc'd meant.
It is not correct English spelling, but he meant arced, or alternative spelling arched.

So, their height measurements, for example the short pack adjustable 16 - 20 inches, is with the pack already tensioned. Good!
BarryK
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stew63 » Mon 30 May, 2016 11:56 pm

For anyone considering a ZPack Arc Blast, Haul, Zip etc. I've just received an email back from ZPacks after a request of mine for a few customisations to a new ZPack Arc-Haul Zip. ZPacks will no longer take any requests for any customisation of their packs of any kind apart from the options listed on their website.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Giddy_up » Tue 31 May, 2016 12:21 am

Hi guys, if Zpacks won't customise (main reason for using a cottage manufacturer!!!).

Try this guy, I'm told his packs are very good indeed and he is happy to make something bespoke to your needs.

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Ultralight backpacking