BRS3000T gas stove leak

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

BRS3000T gas stove leak

Postby carryless » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 8:38 pm

I had my BRS3000T stove start leaking gas out through the flame control knob today while I was doing some drybaking tests.
I suspect that I have over tightened it slightly at some point while turning off, certainly wasn't leaking when it arrived. I've had it about 6 weeks, although it has had a lot if use.

Has anyone else had any gas leaking issues with it?

With the flame required for drybaking it wasn't a problem but when I turned it up it started flaming out the knob, as per the photo.
Attachments
IMAG0658.jpg
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: BRS3000T gas stove leak

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 8:53 pm

Hmmm?
"O" ring perhaps?
Sorry no personal experience with the stove on question
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby aaronhann85 » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 9:07 pm

I've only had mine a short while but have noticed it's a very fine line between turning the gas of completely and leaving it leaking slightly.
aaronhann85
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 9:16 pm

What happened to the metal surface around that valve knob? Mine is working very well. It's clearly a little delicate given its dimension and weight, but not flimsy.

Unthread it right out and have a look. Maybe a thin layer of lubricant oil may bring back the seal.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 9:29 pm

Agree - an O ring problem. This can happen with any stove and the solution is the same.
1. Remove the retaining pin that stops the needle valve from being screwed out. I usually remove this from new stoves to help with field maintenance. It can usually be pushed out with the end of a paper clip or punched out with a fine nail.
2. Screw out the needle valve and check the O-rings for damage. Also check that the valve seat, spindle and the bore are smooth and for any small bits of aluminium shavings from the manufacturing process.
3. Replace any damaged O-ring and lubricate with silicone grease before reassembling.

BRS3000.JPG
BRS3000 disassembled
BRS3000.JPG (91.22 KiB) Viewed 26663 times
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 9:39 pm

Actually I have just realised I do own that stove
And no issues with it but it is my day pack/emergency stove so doesn't get used much at all
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 10:14 pm

I always follow the procedure I detailed above when I get a new stove. Any manufacturer can miss a little bit of milling debris and I have occasionally found stoves with no silicone grease on the O-rings. As well, I check the jet to make sure I can undo it if needed and add a small round of coffee filter to help prevent any blockage of the jet. I also get a couple of spare O-rings that sit in the repair kit. Only ever needed one once in twenty years but in that was in the middle of an eight day trip.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 3:56 am

Wow Mark, that's very thorough.

I spent 5 minutes trying to push the pin out of mine with a paper clip to no avail. A nail and a hammer next?

It might be easier to simply carry two of those stoves. I tossed my BRS3000T into my first aid kit on a trip as a backup stove recently. It's so small it would be easy to forget you have it.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Mark F » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 10:03 am

Hammer and thin nail if it is stuck - a couple of light taps is usually all that is required. Similarly try the jet, I have had one that I think had strong loctite on the thread. It was almost impossible to loosen without the necessary tools and I don't carry those in the bush although have I drilled and filed a spanner into the handle of my spoon. Nothing worse than not being able to fix something quite simple in the field.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby carryless » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 10:17 am

Wow thanks Mark.

Followed your instructions, Wasn't hard to get the pin out for me, I guess it's a bit of luck how tight it is Orion. I'm glad it wasn't difficult for me though.

Had a look and can't really see any damage on the O-rings but it's pretty hard to see much. There could have been some dust or grit. Even harder to see anything in the spindle/bore/valve seat, the best I can do is clean it as best I can anyway.

Trouble is I don't have any silicone grease all I can find is petroleum jelly. Where do you recommend I get some from? about to go out to doctors now, could pick up some. I did find this place and I'm happy to pay that much but I it's basically the same price as another stove... http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/greases/0494124/

GPSGuided Metal around the valve knob is fine, just got a bit black from the orange flame higher up, but obviously that just wipes off.
Attachments
DSC_5520.JPG
DSC_5521.JPG
DSC_5522.JPG
DSC_5523.JPG
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johnrs » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 10:42 am

Hi Carryless
Silicone grease is available from poolshops
John
johnrs
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 10:57 am

As long as it's not petroleum based grease will be fine for O-rings. Surely Bunning or motor supply store would have an option for all the number of O-rings out there. Such as 'Fix a tap' from Bunning, $5.23.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/fix-a-tap-w ... t_p4928608
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby carryless » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 3:05 pm

Fix a tap silicone lubricant was bought, thanks GPSguided and John for your help.

Seems to have done the trick! I will do a little more with it tonight, might make another cake on it, but hopefully it's all good. If it's still leaking I'll go looking for some O-rings, Bunning didn't have anything small enough.

Thanks heaps Mark for the images.
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 3:28 pm

Fix a tap is a funny kind of silicone grease. It is more sticky than slippery but should be ok provided you don't use much.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 4:41 pm

Sticky might be good for it would supplement the seal.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby carryless » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 10:03 pm

Well sticky or not, it didn't quite suffice.

It worked well though but just as my white chocolate mud cake was finishing it started leaking again. I'll have to find some O-rings.
Attachments
IMAG0661.jpg
IMAG0663.jpg
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 10:32 pm

Bummer, yummy!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 5:08 pm

Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 8:14 pm

Good plan Mark. I have often felt a little uncertain about reliability of mine, but, hey, dehi food neat and washed down with cold water can't be that bad. (I have resorted to this :lol: ) She'll be right !!

Now on my to do list, thank you !
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby carryless » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 7:17 pm

Well I replaced the O-rings and it's worked so far, haven't had the chance to test it much yet but we'll see. The new one arrived yesterday though! There's quite a surprisingly big difference between the two visually, the second one looks much more like Mark's. Interesting.
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Ultralight backpacking