Downsizing the Tarptent Scrap 1

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Downsizing the Tarptent Scrap 1

Postby jakeyarwood » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:47 pm

Aushiker wrote:Memory ... whoops. Thanks for the reminder but. I had forgotten how interesting they look.

I just did some number crunching and going with the Khufu CT3 + full mesh + 16 stakes (max requirement) + Zpacks pole it comes in at 734 grams, but the cost is up there at $1,033 + postage. There are weight saving opportunities by going with less mesh and possibly less stakes. That will also save a few dollars.

I do like the idea of being able to use less mesh to create a vestibule within shelter.

Not sure on pack size but, so need to investigate that further.

Haha I get it, there are so many options right? :) No problem anyway!

It is supremely expensive huh? This is why I haven't made the jump as of yet. Additionally, I hear the 2/3 mesh is the best option to go with as it allows plentiful room both in the vestibule and within the interior space. This was noted in a couple of discussions over at backpackinglight.com (one comment in particular here > https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... st-3372774), but it's mostly personal preference I suppose. It seems some folk avoid full mesh inners as when opening the door during a downpour it's possible to let water into your sleeping area. That'd be no fun.

Here are a couple pics of the 2/3 inner w/ khufu by a BPL user:

1428616707_123328.jpg
1428616707_123328.jpg (49.62 KiB) Viewed 8371 times

1428616395_123325.jpg
1428616395_123325.jpg (44.4 KiB) Viewed 8371 times

via > https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... st-2190622
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Aushiker » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:52 am

Thanks for the links and photos. I was thinking the same re the 2/3 mesh if I went this way. I have a MLD Duomid on loan from a local forum member to pitch in the front yard this weekend which will give me an idea about mids and if they will work for me.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jakeyarwood » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 11:26 am

Aushiker wrote:Thanks for the links and photos. I was thinking the same re the 2/3 mesh if I went this way. I have a MLD Duomid on loan from a local forum member to pitch in the front yard this weekend which will give me an idea about mids and if they will work for me.

All good. Oh, that's fantastic! Be sure to post back with your thoughts. The Duomid is still a contender for my next ground system too.
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jakeyarwood » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 5:57 pm

Hey Andrew. Just wondering how you got on with the MLD Duomid last weekend?
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Sat 25 Jun, 2016 7:24 pm

jakeyarwood wrote:Hey Andrew. Just wondering how you got on with the MLD Duomid last weekend?

Sorry it has been a rather full on week. I tried it out. It was a SilNylon Duomid with a SOLO Innernet. I only had a couple of dodgy Nepalese poles so getting a good pitch wasn't going to happen. I think the Duomid is okay would be okay, but the SOLO Innernet was like a coffin to me. So with the cost/weight of adding a DUO Innernet I decided to not go for it. It would have gone over a 1kg IIRC.

The Duomid is easy to pitch for sure but I suspect with the Innernet one would loose some space. Quite roomy but if you go floorless.

At the end of the day it wasn't for me so as of yesterday I have Zpacks Duplex on order instead. If you are interested in the Duomid I believe it might before sale.
Andrew
Aushiker

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking