RaidLight Eco Cup

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

RaidLight Eco Cup

Postby Aushiker » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 5:34 pm

Curious to know if anyone has experience with the RaidLight Eco Cup or similar? It is a foldable minimal cup with a capacity of 200mls. Apparently weighs in at 26 grams.

Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: RaidLight Eco Cup

Postby Mark F » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 9:18 pm

It seems a bit small for most uses. A cup of soup etc are often 250 ml so 250-400ml seems to be the volume needed. One of the lightest mugs that is reasonably robust is the container used by Zuppa brand soups. From memory about 18g and 350ml capacity.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Aushiker » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 9:35 pm

Mark F wrote:It seems a bit small for most uses. A cup of soup etc are often 250 ml so 250-400ml seems to be the volume needed. One of the lightest mugs that is reasonably robust is the container used by Zuppa brand soups. From memory about 18g and 350ml capacity.

One of these? For me and I appreciate that this may not apply to most backpackers is the compactness as well as the weight. Might have another look at those fold up cups.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 9:40 pm

All you can do with it is drink from it, which makes it a single function bit of kit which I thought was not part of the UL way of life and philosophy
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:22 pm

I also appreciate compactness. My normal mug/bowl when using gas is a cut down jalna yogurt pot which slides perfectly over a 230g canister for almost zero volume - 600ml and 36 grams. Rarely, occasional one nighters, I use a metho setup so I use the Zuppa cup which fits in my pot and gets filled with stove, lighter etc. These sorts of decisions need to be made in a system context. Both are marked so they act as a measuring cup as well.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kitty » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 9:35 am

My friend has been using 2 of those fold up cups for years.
She has the Wildo brand, which is Swedish - a big one (600ml) and smaller one (250ml) which nest inside each other.
She uses one for beverages and the big one for food or for preparing food.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 1:35 pm

I've got two of these as Flexi-cup from Sweden. I think I picked them up from the UK on a trip maybe five years or so ago.

Both mine are the smaller 225ml versions, and I found them ok, but not so great for hot beverages. A bit too small for me, I ended up taking a slighty heavier (50g) cup that holds 450ml instead but doesn't pack as small but is nicer for hot drinks.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby alanoutgear » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 9:44 pm

I clicked the link in the OP. Interesting. Apparently the composition of the cup is BPA - bisphenol A. We've spent the past few years trying to remove BPA from plastics because of health concerns, and here's a product that appears to be made entirely of BPA.

Unless it's a very unfortunate typo.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:34 pm

Mark F wrote:I also appreciate compactness. My normal mug/bowl when using gas is a cut down jalna yogurt pot which slides perfectly over a 230g canister for almost zero volume - 600ml and 36 grams. Rarely, occasional one nighters, I use a metho setup so I use the Zuppa cup which fits in my pot and gets filled with stove, lighter etc. These sorts of decisions need to be made in a system context. Both are marked so they act as a measuring cup as well.

Interesting ideas. I must get some Jalna and Zuppa and see if they will work with my new Toaks 850ml pot.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:37 pm

kitty wrote:My friend has been using 2 of those fold up cups for years.
She has the Wildo brand, which is Swedish - a big one (600ml) and smaller one (250ml) which nest inside each other.

Looks like the mould has been used by a few brands.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:38 pm

keithy wrote:I've got two of these as Flexi-cup from Sweden. I think I picked them up from the UK on a trip maybe five years or so ago.

Both mine are the smaller 225ml versions, and I found them ok, but not so great for hot beverages. A bit too small for me, I ended up taking a slighty heavier (50g) cup that holds 450ml instead but doesn't pack as small but is nicer for hot drinks.

Thanks for the feedback.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 3:01 pm

Mark F wrote:My normal mug/bowl when using gas is a cut down jalna yogurt pot which slides perfectly over a 230g canister for almost zero volume - 600ml and 36 grams.

I couldn't find any Jalna at my local Coles, but did pick up some Mundella yoghurt in the 500g size. Once the yoghurt has gone will look at the functionality of the container. Is this same as Jalna one's?

I see also that Jalna has a 200g container which looks interesting.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Mark F » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 5:05 pm

The Jalna pot is the one litre size. I have not tried whether any smaller yoghurt pots might fit over a 100g canister. It would be good if they did.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 3:39 pm

Mark F wrote:I also appreciate compactness. My normal mug/bowl when using gas is a cut down jalna yogurt pot which slides perfectly over a 230g canister for almost zero volume - 600ml and 36 grams.

An update: I have cut down a Mundella yoghurt pot (bit rough so may get another one and try again) to hold 250 mls with a about 5mm lip. This weighs in at 15g. I have a cut-down a neoprene or something like that stubbie holder I was using as an insulator on my previous cup. This weighs 24g and fits the yoghurt pot nicely as well as adding rigidity to the pot.

So overall my new cup comes in at 34g about a 20 gram saving over my previous setup.

It also packs nicely into my new Toaks 850ml pot along with the caldera cone, mini fire steel, blade, fuel measuring cup, emergency matches (or mini-Bic lighter), piece of scrubber and my Trail Designs 12-10 stove. Only thing I cannot get in their is my Spork (might need to cut it in half :)).

Pretty happy with this ... light and compact = big tick.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Mittens » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 7:50 pm

The best minimal cup is drinking right from the pot! When with a companion, we take turns for sips.
That being said, it is pretty cool looking!
Mittens
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking