Pants

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Pants

Postby Aushiker » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:13 pm

I had a pair of Macpac X Terrain pants which weighed in at 280 grams which were good for walking in and around camp and bus travel to and from the start of a walk or bike tourer etc. Anyway one of the benefits or not of considerable weight loss is that I need to replace these pants and of course Macpac no longer sell the X Terrain and what pants they list on their website don't have the weights listed.

Hence this post seeking any suggestions on suitable lightweight pants, ideally 280 grams or less and very packable.

Thanks in advance.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Pants

Postby oyster_07 » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 8:07 am

Try these: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-gi-iii-pants-30-inch-inseam?p=55020-0
They are 246g (for a medium-equivalent size I think).
I have a smaller size and have made a slight adjustment by shortening the length and slightly narrowing them below the knee.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 4:20 pm

I am happy with my Kathmandu's Barga zipoff pants for travel and walking. 280g in medium. Standard proviso - wait for them to come on sale. For long trips I use one full pair and only take the top section of the second. Saves 90 grams. And yes both pairs are the same colour. I also remove the bulkier pocket on the left leg.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby oyster_07 » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 5:07 pm

I saw a great pair of Helly Hansen pants the other day at a Melbourne outlet. They are light and practical, without being over-engineered, and most importantly an athletic cut. So often I find outdoor pants to be overly baggy. Unfortunately they didn't have my size...
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby carryless » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 7:28 pm

If you are willing to buy from overseas, these are the lightest I have found so far.
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... ants-p4054

I don't have any experience with them I'm afraid but these guys do tend to give accurate-ish verdicts.
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Aushiker » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 11:01 pm

oyster_07 wrote:Try these: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-gi-iii-pants-30-inch-inseam?p=55020-0
They are 246g (for a medium-equivalent size I think).
I have a smaller size and have made a slight adjustment by shortening the length and slightly narrowing them below the knee.

Thanks for the heads-up on these. They look very similar to my Macpac pants but it seems they are no longer available other in a convertible design :( Would have been the bees knees otherwise.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 11:04 pm

carryless wrote:If you are willing to buy from overseas, these are the lightest I have found so far.
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... ants-p4054

Thanks. They are a possibility for sure. Bike24 have them listed at 237 grams so I would say the Ultralight Outdoor Gear weight is within the ball park.
Andrew
Aushiker

Return to Ultralight backpacking