Wind Jackets

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Wind Jackets

Postby Aushiker » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 11:48 am

Having lost a bit of weight I am finding I am feeling the cold more, well lets say I am freezing but the dog is happy as the heater is getting a hammering :) Anyway I have come back to to this idea of a windjacket for running and riding and maybe walking as well. In my research I came across a couple of interesting options at Ultra Light Outdoor Gear (UK):

Montane Featherlite 7 which weighs in at 46g for the large.

OMM Sonic which weighs in at 62g for the large.

Both stow in their collars.

I appreciate that maybe in a bushwalking context these are not a mainstream clothing item but I thought I would ask here anyway as maybe we have some trail runners or runners or cyclists with experience of same or thoughts. So not being that up on wind jackets would these tick the boxes? I am assuming the three key criteria are wind protection, breathability and light rain protection. Being light and packable are definite pluses for me at least.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Wind Jackets

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 1:16 pm

I bought one cheap on this forum second hand and I have gotten great use out of it. (viewtopic.php?f=57&t=22808)

For cutting the wind chill without the bulk or weight of a real jacket it's great, and breathes a lot better than my old, heavy walking jacket. It's light and you might as well carry one !

I guess it wouldn't replace a heavier jacket if you're in any sort of scrub or actual rainfall, but on open track on a cold, windy day I can highly recommend.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 4:38 pm

A windshirt is one of those items that you think unnecessary until you have one, then wonder what you ever did without it. I have a Patagonia Houdini (only weighs 100g!! Got it from these guys: http://www.tomsoutdoors.com.au/patagonia-mens-houdini-jacket-electron-blue) and in a relatively short time have gotten heaps of use out of it.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 4:51 pm

Best value bit of kit there is
If you are a Large I have one to spare I was trying to sell; it's up at Falls at the moment tho
I prefer a short zip pullover tho but the Houdini is a sound alternative
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby stry » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 9:57 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:A windshirt is one of those items that you think unnecessary until you have one, then wonder what you ever did without it.

Very well put :D

Moondog55 wrote:Best value bit of kit there is

Big statement :lol: , but you get the picture. I bought one a year or two ago, only because of the forum (mainly MDs enthusiasm for them IIRC), and am very pleased that I did. A hood makes sense on a W/S.

They save wear and tear and your shell jacket, which would otherwise be worn far more often, and I seem to move more freely in the W/S than in the shell; which benefit is probably between my ears. Wear a wind shirt and you'll be amazed at how much insulation exists in the layers beneath the W/S. I take mine on day walks, not just multi day walks.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:12 pm

I have a Montane Featherlite Marathon Jacket, obviously previous generation from their Featherlite 7 model. It compacts to a small ball and excellent for carrying around. Works very well on windy days but one tend to sweat a bit inside if engaged in any exertional activities. Still, very handy.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:24 pm

I have been using a Montbell UL wind jacket (81g) for a few years. It forms an important part of my layering system especially if walking in windy and poorly sheltered conditions. I prefer the full zip versions for the extra versatility compared to the short zip/smock versions. Mine is roomy enough to get a 100 weight fleece underneath.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wayno » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 5:15 pm

wind shirts are very popular in places like the states, it can give reasonable insulation on the move without overheating compared to using an insulated windproof top c whih you may only need in camp or a rainshell which can be to effective and blocking air movement... for the light weight and compactness of them they can be a valuable item..
montbell make a 60gm one called the tachyon.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby damoprz » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 6:00 pm

If you can find someone to make you one, a hood-less, half-zip windshirt from Argon 90 should only weigh around 70 grams.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 6:27 pm

Well I am going to give the Montane Featherlite 7D a shot. Managed to pick one up from Wiggle in the UK for $103 delivered.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby slparker » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 1:50 pm

I have used one for a couple of years and thoroughly endorse them. I couldn't even contemplating not carrying one out bush now - amazing performance for weight.
They can be a little 'flappy' for cycling but I use a lined one on the MTB at times.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 3:01 pm

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:A windshirt is one of those items that you think unnecessary until you have one, then wonder what you ever did without it.

Well said. I have a Snowgum jacket that is about 20 years old, half zip, front pocket and a hood, which is probably why it weighs nearly 200 grams. The jacket folds into the pocket, which is good for sundry things like a compass, camera, food or a map. The light weight means that it dries very quickly and yet gives good wind protection. If/when the jacket dies I'll get another one, essential clothing.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby rcaffin » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi Andrew
Well, I had one of those Montane windshirts, but my wife pinched it off me for winter running.
The rest of the time we rely on some oldish GoLite Wisps. Very warm.
Cheers
Roger Caffin
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 4:50 am

I just came across this wind jacket from Cumulus - 55g - http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... d=56&vid=1
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby damoprz » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 11:55 am

simonm wrote:I just came across this wind jacket from Cumulus - 55g - http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... d=56&vid=1

Cumulus stuff looks really good, I've been thinking of buying one of there puffy's when I am in Poland again. Is it possible to buy Pertex Quantum fabric anywhere?
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 1:57 pm

damoprz wrote:
simonm wrote:I just came across this wind jacket from Cumulus - 55g - http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... d=56&vid=1

Cumulus stuff looks really good, I've been thinking of buying one of there puffy's when I am in Poland again. Is it possible to buy Pertex Quantum fabric anywhere?

I am not aware of any suppliers of Pertex.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby damoprz » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 2:27 pm

The Argon fabrics should breath better anyway right?
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 2:55 pm

Damm, I had forgotten about Cumulus. Something to keep in mind for the future for sure. I picked up my Montane jacket from the Post Office this morning. Amazingly light. Yet to try it on/test it out but. Work has got in the road :)
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby simonm » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 4:39 pm

damoprz wrote:The Argon fabrics should breath better anyway right?

I would assume so, though I don't have the technical details on the Pertex fabrics or the breathability of Argon 67 and 90. I think Dutch was working on getting the specifics on Argon so I will follow it up.

I am tempted to get the Cumulus jacket, or have a crack at sewing one up out of Argon.

Luke's ultralight makes an Argon 67 and 90 version - http://lukesultralite.com/products/windgear
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby damoprz » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 9:35 pm

simonm wrote: Luke's ultralight makes an Argon 67 and 90 version - http://lukesultralite.com/products/windgear

Yeah Luke's stuff looks great, but I don't think he will he ship internationally?

I have a pattern for a rain jacket, I might order some Argon 90 soon and give it a go, just leave the hood off and only have a quarter zip. Sewing Argon 67 was such a horrible experience I think I'll wait until I am more proficient before trying it again.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 6:00 am

damoprz wrote:
simonm wrote: Luke's ultralight makes an Argon 67 and 90 version - http://lukesultralite.com/products/windgear

Yeah Luke's stuff looks great, but I don't think he will he ship internationally?

I have a pattern for a rain jacket, I might order some Argon 90 soon and give it a go, just leave the hood off and only have a quarter zip. Sewing Argon 67 was such a horrible experience I think I'll wait until I am more proficient before trying it again.

Give me a call or send me an email with regards to sewing the Argon 67.

I have busted out the sewing books and will try to sew up a wind jacket as well.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 1:41 pm

It won't hurt to have 2 wind-shirts
A Spring/summer/Autumn version such as my Montane and a Winter version with a hood and a small pocket for putting important sundries in
A winter wind-shirt would benefit somewhat from being made in a heavier fabric to hold onto the DWR for a longer time or use EPIC which works very well in this situation and will be used to make mine if I ever get time
My Montane WS is a little fragile and some of the seams have started to let go already
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 7:15 pm

I am on my 3rd Houdini. Great piece of gear. Never head out without it.
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tintin » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 11:27 pm

I can also vouch for the Houdini, fantastic piece of gear. Also agree on how underrated a wind shirt is in general, probably one of my favourite pieces of gear.

Personally I think a hood is imperative on a wind shirt. A hood keeps your head warm and comfortable in very windy conditions - which is when you will be wearing it.

No pockets on the Houdini, but I usually have my 100wt fleece underneath for insulation if its really cold, which has a small pocket to store things. My shorts/pants also have plenty of pockets so not really an issue. If it is raining i will use my fleece pocket.
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby slparker » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 8:32 am

Tintin wrote:I can also vouch for the Houdini, fantastic piece of gear. Also agree on how underrated a wind shirt is in general, probably one of my favourite pieces of gear.

Personally I think a hood is imperative on a wind shirt. A hood keeps your head warm and comfortable in very windy conditions - which is when you will be wearing it.

No pockets on the Houdini, but I usually have my 100wt fleece underneath for insulation if its really cold, which has a small pocket to store things. My shorts/pants also have plenty of pockets so not really an issue. If it is raining i will use my fleece pocket.

I prefer a windshirt without a hood. They flap around too much if you're not using it, i end up with too many hoods on if it's really cold or raining, I still need a peak if I'm in the snow and i have beanies to keep my head warm.

My main complaint is that my shell has a hood, my insulating layer has a hood and one of my base layers have a hood. so either you have so many hoods on you can't turn you're neck or so many hoods rolled up at the back of your neck that you you're a hunchback.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eljimberino » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 4:23 pm

Hoods are not too difficult to cut off.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Mon 02 Jan, 2017 12:17 pm

Eljimberino wrote:Hoods are not too difficult to cut off.

True. Probably even easier to buy a garment without a hood in the first place. Hence my comment.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eljimberino » Mon 02 Jan, 2017 1:54 pm

Agreed mate. Some models don't come hoodless.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby surly 17 » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 10:27 pm

I've used a Houdini on the last three trips I've done I think it's the best piece of kit I've bought for a while. I haven't used the hood yet I just ignore the fact that it's there, I'm sure I will stick it on at some point. I bought it At the Patagonia store on smith st in Melbourne for a ridiculous cheap price.
surly 17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wallwombat » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 9:12 am

I have a Montane Featherlight Windshirt, which I don't think they make anymore. Great bit of kit but I find that Montane's stuff runs on the small side. I bought the large and it fits like a medium. I'd buy an extra large next time.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking