RAB Flashpoint - First Impressions

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

RAB Flashpoint - First Impressions

Postby Aushiker » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 11:31 pm

My new rain jacket arrived today, a RAB Flashpoint which weighs in on my scales at 218 grams for the large size which is within specification [Ultralight Outdoor Gear is far more honest about weights than RAB is]. The jacket looks well made, has some nice features to allow for adjusting for the hood, waist and cuffs and has a nice feel to it. A couple of possible negatives are: The hood does not pack away but then I suspect I will be using it if I have the jacket on. It is also claimed to be helmet compatible. The other negative is it is not long at the back which is more of an issue I suspect for bicycle riding than bushwalking/running my other uses of the jacket.

It packs down nicely into its own stuff sack, which is really nice and small: I can easily hold it in my hand.

Looking forward to putting this jacket to the test.

Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: RAB Flashpoint - First Impressions

Postby [Jack]son » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 7:49 am

Looks great! Maybe I was too fast in my purchase of an OR Helium II. The hood adjustability on this looks great.
[Jack]son
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Aushiker » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 3:18 pm

[Jack]son wrote:Looks great! Maybe I was too fast in my purchase of an OR Helium II. The hood adjustability on this looks great.

A Outdoor Research Helium II was on my short list but the hood on RAB Flashpoint being helmet friendly tipped the balance. I am sure your Helium II will be a great jacket anyway.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby wayno » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 3:36 pm

great if you are OK with a 7 denier face fabric... its shopping bag thin...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Aushiker » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 8:18 pm

wayno wrote:great if you are OK with a 7 denier face fabric... its shopping bag thin...

For my planned main usage I have no issues with the material, at least so far but it has yet to be worn in bucketing down rain.

Of course it may not be suitable for everyone but then that can said of any jacket; I have no desire to ride or run in my Mountain Designs Gore-tex ...
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby joshbrad » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 10:35 pm

I have the same jacket, used it through melbourne winter commuting by bike, fabric held up fine, DWR still going strong. Did manage to rip a small hole in the elbow on a climbing trip by rubbing too hard against some rough granite. But apart from that, jacket still looks new. Hood works fine with and without a helmet in my experience.
joshbrad
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Postby roysta » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 8:57 pm

[Jack]son wrote:Looks great! Maybe I was too fast in my purchase of an OR Helium II. The hood adjustability on this looks great.

I wouldn't worry too much, the Helium is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta

Region: New South Wales

Postby biggbird » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 8:47 pm

Hey Aushiker, any further update on your experience with the Flashpoint? Currently looking for a new raincoat and this one seems to be well reviewed and significantly lighter than any of my current jackets. Particularly curious about the durability of the fabric, especially with relation to pack wear.
biggbird

Region: Tasmania

Postby Aushiker » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 2:45 pm

biggbird wrote:Hey Aushiker, any further update on your experience with the Flashpoint? Currently looking for a new raincoat and this one seems to be well reviewed and significantly lighter than any of my current jackets. Particularly curious about the durability of the fabric, especially with relation to pack wear.

No I am sorry. It has been summer here so less rain and given the heat I don't tend to go bikepacking/bushwalking during the summer. Hopefully will see more action in the next few months.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby biggbird » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 6:21 pm

Awesome, will look forward to hearing about it after it gets a bit more use :)
biggbird

Region: Tasmania

Return to Ultralight backpacking