Rain jacket query

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Rain jacket query

Postby amc4012 » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 8:10 am

Hi,

I bought a Outdoor Research Zealot jacket back in 2006. It's had a good life and showing some signs of wear. The pocket has come apart around the zip. No impact to the jacket other than I can no longer use the pocket.
https://backpackinglight.com/outdoor_re ... ll_review/

My first question is what is the best way to "glue" the zip of the pocket back to the main part of the jacket? both sides of the zip has come "unglued" from the shell.

Secondly I have been looking at the Patagonia Alpine Houdini as a replacement
http://www.patagonia.com.au/m-s-alpine- ... -jkt-11471

It's similar in weight, pack down size etc.

Has fabric "technology" come so far in the last 10 years that it would be worth forking out the cash for the Patagonia Jacket rather than try to repair the 10yr old OR jacket?

Can anyone recommend a fabric wash I could use on the OR jacket to "re-waterproof it"
Fabric is: •Low bulk Gore-Tex PacLite fabric with Gore taped seams

Cheers.
Gravity brings us down to earth, yet we insist on climbing mountains
amc4012
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Rain jacket query

Postby Eljimberino » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 4:52 pm

If your jacket can be repaired, repair it. Although, it's probably the seams and the seam tape that's the issue after ten or so years.

Most outdoor shops sell DWR spray. Not sure about any 'washes'.

Yes, there are a lot more fabric options now than there were ten years ago. Goretex is not usually used now because it doesn't work when dirty. Plus it's heavy.

3 Layer laminate breathable material is up there.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby amc4012 » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the OR website and will see if I can make a warranty claim. otherwise I'll go the repair route.
www.outdoorresearch.com/en/warranty/

Of course the salesperson at my local outdoor store was trying to sell me on the latest fabric technology.
amc4012
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Sat 17 Sep, 2016 4:46 am

the latest technology in fabrics and membranes are a bit better than older technologies and over hyped, because the manufacturers tend to want to keep selling you as much of their products as they can... they make a minor change to gear including changing colours and hype it as a major reason to buy something new...
the houdini is nearly $300, it weighs 200gm. its not going to stand up to rough treatment well in the long run..... the lightweight fabrics are expensive but they are still lightweight, they can be strong for what they are, but still lightweight...
its a 2.5 layer jacket it doesnt have the knitted nylon to protect the membrane on the inside just a partial printed layer that wears a lot faster than three layer jackets
only get a jacket like that if lightweight and compact is a high priority and you're willing to pt up with the downsides and pay the price
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby amc4012 » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 8:08 am

Hi,

OR have come good on the warranty.

The Zealot is made from Gore-Tex PacLite fabric

Looks like my options are
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens- ... t-s15.html
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens- ... 32502.html

or the
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens- ... acket.html

The Helium II seems closest in weight to the Zealot but is made from Pertex® Shield+ 2.5L

Just wondering if I'm better to go for the Foray even though it's heavier it's made from GORE-TEX® with Paclite® technology 2L

cheers,
amc4012
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 9:42 am

the axiom is the best of those, helium is minimalist, no vents or pockets, thin as... axiom the most breathable of those jackets, . its been highly rated. the foray is the most robust.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to Ultralight backpacking