Syd Summer Gear List

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Syd Summer Gear List

Postby Toast » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 9:02 pm

Hello all
(Edit) To make things easy i have created an evolving gear list at https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=36096

Ill be in Sydney for the summer and plan to spend my weekends on overnight hikes. I have put together a gear list for me to purchase once in Aus. I am Australian and am familiar with the terrain around Sydney.

Any suggestions on my gear choices or gear i am missing would be appreciated. I need to take this gear overseas when summer is over so i am trying to keep it light and not too expensive

My list so far =
1. Pack = Black Wolf Crux 40 or Blackwolf B-Lite 35.....1kg
2. Shelter = ENO Sub 7 hammock with Profly Sil Tarp & Helios straps.....754gm
3. Sleep = Roman Palm 1 sleep bag (purchased already).....800gm
4. Cook = Optimus Cruz Lite stove/cookset .....272gm
5. Water= Sawyer Mini Filtration....70gm
6. Stakes = MSR Ground Hogs......80gm
7. Waterproof= Sea to Summit dry compression bag xl.....210gm
8. Bugs= Headnet......11gm
9. Headlamp= Petzel Tikka......85gm
10. Gas Canister.......350gm (full)
11. Poncho??

Total weight = 3.6kg
Total Cost = $750 approx
So that is my list so far, i will need shoes but i think that is a personal choice also i will make my own small medical kit and fixed blade knife, I might purchase a pair of Gaiters if i go offtrail camping with friends in south/west

Any suggestions or thoughts on my choices would be appreciated, also if you see anything i have left out Thankyou
Last edited by Toast on Tue 27 Sep, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toast
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Syd Summer Gear List

Postby Bill P » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 11:42 pm

I reckon the roman palm should be ok for summer Toast. Are you going to use a sleeping mat? Bill P
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Toast » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 1:38 am

Yes i have had the roman palm for a couple of years and its a good warm weather bag, a long sleeve shirt and pants is needed in cooler temps though. I have thought of using a reflective heat mat but thought that would be something id test out first before buying if needed
Toast
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby damoprz » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 8:35 pm

BRS3000T is a cheap + light butane stove.
If you need a sleeping mat a Thermarest Zlite or Ridgerest solite can be cut to size and are reasonably cheap.
Packwise, if you haven't bought one the Osprey Exos superlight 48 is very nice and light, worth a try.
IMO, the ease of use of the Sawyer Squeeze is worth the slight weight penalty over the mini.
A garbage bag can replace the S2S dry bag, both cheaper + lighter.
Last edited by damoprz on Mon 26 Sep, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Toast » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 9:38 pm

My pack and cook system choice is certainly up for debate, just though id throw something i liked in the list. I have looked at the Osprey 48 but wondered if size was too big? I really dont like the bulkiness of the Thermarest Zlite or Ridgerest solite but havent researched cut sizes. Are mats like those needed for a hammock system? I have seen people use car windscreen visors in hammocks,they fold up well and are very cheap. Do you have any knowledge on this?

Will look into the the BRS3000T, Sawyer Squeeze and will consider using a garbage bag instead of a dry sack. Thankyou for the reply
Last edited by Toast on Mon 26 Sep, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toast
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Strider » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 9:39 pm

damoprz wrote:IMO, the ease of use of the Sawyer Squeeze is worth the slight weight penalty over the mini.

Both work exactly the same way, the weight and size of the units is literally the only difference.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby damoprz » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 9:54 pm

Strider wrote:
damoprz wrote:IMO, the ease of use of the Sawyer Squeeze is worth the slight weight penalty over the mini.

Both work exactly the same way, the weight and size of the units is literally the only difference.

The increased flow rate through the larger filter of the Squeeze makes it substantially easier to use. If you want to filter a reasonable amount of water the Squeeze is much quicker. The mini also clogs easier, requires flushing more.

Toast wrote: Are mats like those needed for a hammock system? I have seen people use car windscreen visors in hammocks,they fold up well and are very cheap. Do you have any knowledge on this?

You shouldn't need a mat for summer hammocking. But I am still a ground camper, so others can offer better advice.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 10:23 pm

damoprz wrote:
Strider wrote:

The increased flow rate through the larger filter of the Squeeze makes it substantially easier to use. If you want to filter a reasonable amount of water the Squeeze is much quicker. The mini also clogs easier, requires flushing more.

Toast wrote: Are mats like those needed for a hammock system? I have seen people use car windscreen visors in hammocks,they fold up well and are very cheap. Do you have any knowledge on this?

You shouldn't need a mat for summer hammocking. But I am still a ground camper, so others can offer better advice.

Sorry I thought you were referring to method of use. Yes the Mini is a bit slower, which probably has something to do with why I managed to burst one of the new 9-ply blue bags.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Toast » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 3:49 pm

damoprz wrote:BRS3000T is a cheap + light butane stove.
IMO, the ease of use of the Sawyer Squeeze is worth the slight weight penalty

Ok so im sold on the Sawyer squeeze and the BRS3000T stove. Will couple the stove with a 600ml ish mug and 100ml gas canister :D

Stove system should fit snugly together with a large weight saving on the Optimus cook set
Toast
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby simonm » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 4:55 pm

Depending on how warm you typically sleep, you will still need some type of under insulation during summer, anything under 20 celsius can require some insulation. Its a personal thing though.

That Eno 7 is a very short hammock so depending on how tall you are it may not be that comfortable.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 8:16 pm

Toast wrote:My pack and cook system choice is certainly up for debate, just though id throw something i liked in the list. I have looked at the Osprey 48 but wondered if size was too big?

Hi Toast
I picked an Osprey Stratos 34 as my overnight pack, thinking it would be enough and encourage me to keep things minimal. It's working. My shelter and water are on the outside and will probably stay that way. As I trim down my other gear I have a little more room inside. Up to three days food, assuming water resupply. So a 48 is a more feasible size me thinks and will also work to fit some winter gear for you later on. If your gear is loose the compression straps should firm it up OK.

I have a Palm 1 and it's a bit narrow. +10 rating is correct, at +5 with clothes it doesn't work for me.

Also I found a 100g gas canister actually weighs around 200g full, so it's half can.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Toast » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 8:51 pm

Neo wrote:Hi Toast
I picked an Osprey Stratos 34 as my overnight pack, thinking it would be enough and encourage me to keep things minimal.
Also I found a 100g gas canister actually weighs around 200g full, so it's half can.

What kind of shelter do you use?

I switched my pack choice today to the Osprey Talon 33 size is a bit of concern but i really want to keep things to a min and trips more than overnighters are unlikely. The Osprey Exos 38 is my second choice.

With my revised cook set i will need 100gm canisters for it all to fit into one package

Once i leave Aus this gear will only be used in a Tropical environment where night time temps rarely go below 20deg. I factor this into my weight and gear choices

To make things easy i have created an evolving gear list at https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=36096
Toast
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:40 pm

One thing to consider is that if walking in the general Sydney area, then the standard cooking method is to use a fire. That way you can dispense with taking a stove. There are however a few places where you do need to take a stove - such as if camping at Acacia Flat near Blue Gum Forest or in Royal National Park. Almost all other places fire are permitted except in fire bans. In a park fire ban (in a national park) then you cannot light a fire, but can use a gas stove (but not any other stove). In a total fire ban you cannot use any stove or fire.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:42 pm

[/quote]
What kind of shelter do you use?[/quote]

I'm in a dome. Tent goes under the bottom of my pack. Pegs and poles in a side pocket. I've got a tttm double but haven't tried to sleep in it.

Here is my everyday knife
http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/gerber- ... nife/46009
Don't forget your spork!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Toast » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 11:09 am

DaveNoble wrote:One thing to consider is that if walking in the general Sydney area, then the standard cooking method is to use a fire.

You make a good point & a 200g+ canister does seem unnecessary. I do like the idea of carrying some kind of stove though, guess that is something i can tinker around with.

I do like the Esbit Folding Titanium solid fuel stove with a diy windbreaker
Toast
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Wed 05 Oct, 2016 2:00 pm

You will appreciate a stove that you can use under a tarp or in a tent vestibule after a cold evening or two spent in wind and rain trying to maintain a fire and cook dinner at the same time. For us older ones this was just part of the deal (toughened us up).
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Ultralight backpacking