lightweight hiker fly on a budget?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

lightweight hiker fly on a budget?

Postby AWTtrekker » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 8:40 pm

Any clever recommendations for an inexpensive way to set myself up with a lightweight hiker fly? I can sew so happy to look at homemade options if they will genuinely work out cheaper, second hand(even if it is something requiring repairs) or if someone has come across some sort of budget option that was surprisingly light I would look at that too. It won't be my primary shelter, infact just the opposite, a little bit of luxury as additional shelter for when I am able to justify a little extra weight so only a basic level of water protection is all it need to be. Looking at a minimum size of 3 X 2m and keeping weight under 500g but the lighter the better
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: lightweight hiker fly on a budget?

Postby andrewa » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 8:58 pm

Um...tyvek? Seconds silinyon from thruhiker or similar. Fabric from SimonM at tier gear. Lots of options, depending on budget.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 9:38 am

Polyethylene painters sheets maybe? They're cheap and available in a variety of thicknesses. I've seen some pretty ghetto tent setups with the stuff. I've used the 1mil (1/1000 inch = ~25 microns) type but it tears pretty easily. The 3mil (75um) sheets are much more durable but weigh three times as much, about 70 grams per square meter. A 3x2m rectangle would be under 500g.

Polycryo (window shrink film) is a lot tougher for the weight. It comes in different grades but is roughly the same weight as 1mil painter's sheets. I use it as a groundsheet when cowboy camping or with my floorless tent. It's a little more expensive than polyethylene.

If you need to join pieces to make a more complicated shape then I'm not sure what you'd use as the tape or adhesive. You probably wouldn't want to sew plastic sheets.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby AWTtrekker » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 7:14 pm

Painters sheets probably a bit flimsy. I don't mind spending a little bit, just can't really justify the $250+ for a super dooper one to get the weight down. Hoping to spend a max of about $80
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby damoprz » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 8:42 pm

I have been thinking of making a 'summer fly' for good weather out of window shrink film and clear gorrilla tape. Super light and easy.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Neo » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 8:43 pm

I've eyed off the Prospecting tarp by Terra Rosa gear

http://terrarosagear.com/ultralight

3x3 with a choice of fabrics and weights.

If you're set up to sew then should be able to do your own pretty cheaply.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Sat 29 Oct, 2016 8:44 am

AWTtrekker wrote:Painters sheets probably a bit flimsy. I don't mind spending a little bit, just can't really justify the $250+ for a super dooper one to get the weight down. Hoping to spend a max of about $80

I have a fabric that would allow you to make your own 3m x 1.8m tarp for about $65 including postage depending on what you added to it. It is a super wide polyester fabric at 1.89m wide so you would use only the width of the fabric, meaning there is no ridgeline seam. Here is some pics of a tarp I made for myself.

IMG_0039 (2).JPG
IMG_0040 (2).JPG
Last edited by simonm on Sat 29 Oct, 2016 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:51 am

AWTtrekker wrote:Painters sheets probably a bit flimsy. I don't mind spending a little bit, just can't really justify the $250+ for a super dooper one to get the weight down. Hoping to spend a max of about $80

When you said inexpensive and not a primary shelter I immediately thought of the plastic sheet. The 3mil stuff is actually pretty strong.

For $80 I'm pretty sure you could find some waterproof fabric for a 3x2m fly. Looks like Simon's got you covered.

The silnylon available here in the US is a little cheaper than that. But to me $80 (AUS) and silnylon constitutes a not-that-inexpensive primary shelter.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Sat 29 Oct, 2016 11:10 am

I just edited my post - it would be about $65 including postage.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Sat 29 Oct, 2016 11:47 am

simonm wrote:I just edited my post - it would be about $65 including postage.

That's roughly what it would cost me to buy silnylon. A good deal, you should go for it.

But with 3mil sheeting I could make three 3x2m tarps for one fourth the cost.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby AWTtrekker » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 5:41 pm

Hey thanks that sounds pretty good what sort of weight are we talking for that size?
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby slparker » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 8:24 am

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1818091 ... 107&chn=ps

$33 but admittedly awful colour - i.e. you'll look like a survivalist, but around 600g and you have all the tieouts you'll need.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 10:21 am

AWTtrekker wrote:Hey thanks that sounds pretty good what sort of weight are we talking for that size?

The one I made is 330grams.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Tue 07 Mar, 2017 12:08 pm

Simonm's setup looks like the go but if you want a super cheap option, like under $15, go to Bunnings.
1.8 x 1.1m green tarp. You get 2 for $3.00. 150g/tarp is ultra-light but you'll need a bivy, so that will add to your total. Still a light option when solo.
2.4 x 1.8m blue tarp for $7-8. @ 400g makes it lightweight as a 2 person option or luxury 1 person.
These are 80gsm. Supercheap auto have even lighter tarps @ 70gsm but haven't got around to getting one yet.
Also get some camping cord while your at Bunnings for around $5.00

They're 100% waterproof, you can batten down in wind but there is no stretch so they can flap a bit and slowly pull the pegs but ties help avoid that.

I've got a light-weight 2 man tent so haven't used the blue tarp yet. But the green tarp is great for solo, its just handy to have even if its not going to rain.

Single green tarp with bivy and 40l pack

Blue tarp backyard test with dog :)
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mickl » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 2:37 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25013

Not sure if its a bit more than what your budget is but I'm selling a full kit which will make a 3x3 with all the tie outs, thread etc inc. Purchased of Simon and never got around to using it.
Mickl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking