Sewing Cuben to Silnylon?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Sewing Cuben to Silnylon?

Postby Davidf61 » Sat 10 Dec, 2016 10:09 pm

I've tried googling to no avail.

Has anybody tried or know of a technique to attach a panel of Cuben to Silnylon? Reasonably sure tape [ of any type ] will only stick to one or the other. Sewing?
Reason I ask is a mate has a cuben Duomid, lovely and light but can be awkward to set up [ and get taut ] if the ground is not level, whereas his silnylon version is be far more forgiving.
So he has this mad scientist idea of removing the bottom 30-40cm of cuben off the Duomid :shock: and replacing it with a "skirt" of silnylon.

Methinks a little out there but there is a faint sniff of logic to it I guess, the topmost superlight and the bottom bit more able to adjust to terrain.
I personally wouldn't do it but he's keen to give it a crack if he can be sure of a reasonable "join". Ideas anyone?
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Sewing Cuben to Silnylon?

Postby simonm » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 5:42 am

Yes it can be done. He may want to use some double sided tape within the seam (on the Cuben). The trick is that he will be sewing two materials with varying stretch characteristics so keeping it all aligned will be the trickiest part.

Here is an example I quickly sewed up this morning out of scraps, just freehand no pinning or taping. The seam is strong so there will be no issues there. You just need to make sure your stitch length is not too short as this can weaken the Cuben.

Good luck.

IMG_20161211_062638.jpg
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 6:21 am

Why shorten it> Why not simply use a smaller silnylon panel? then all you need to do is make the pole a tad taller
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 8:10 am

I suspect you will see some strange effects when pitched due to the stretch in the sil-nylon other than that intended. Also the size of the panel is unlikely to produce the effect desired.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Franco » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 11:45 am

I'm with Mark.
When cold/wet silnylon stretches both ways (warp and weft), Cuben does not, so the two would not work together well if the silnylon panels are big enough to make any difference.
I could be wrong but have not yet seen any manufacturer combining, on the same panel , two different materials like that.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Davidf61 » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 6:27 pm

Have had "robust" discussion with mate about this, I think the lack of any manufacturer big or small doing this sealed the deal, it won't be happening.

Still the problem remains with the cuben Duomid, it can be a bugger to get taut sometimes, but that's a discussion for another time, thank you for all replies.
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Franco » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 1:55 pm

"Still the problem remains with the cuben Duomid"
Same problem with other shelters made with the same material.
It's very hard to get the cut right for a laminate that has no give.
That is the reason why the pattern for a silnylon tent does not work with Cuben and has to be re-designed.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chezza » Mon 12 Dec, 2016 2:17 pm

I think this could work if one used polyester instead of nylon. But the degree to which the stretchy bottom panel would allow the tent to be pitched taut on uneven ground would be proportional to the height of the panel, and even a full silnylon mid has its limits. Not sure he'd gain much for all his trouble. Might as build a mid from silpoly or silnylon for all that trouble.

With the cuben duomid, I find the trick is to peg the four corners in an even, but fairly loose, rectangle. Pitch them tight before you put in the pole and you'll chase your tail trying to get it taut. The linelocs act in a way similar to the nylon skirt he was thinking of - tighten them to suit after inserting the pole. Go around the tent a couple of times taking them in a little at a time, careful to keep the apex from moving around.

If the ground is really uneven, leave plenty of line out on the corners, and pitch it taut and high off the ground. Then drop the pole a touch (but not so much you loose all tension) and re-adjust the linelocs. Repeat till you have it as close to the ground as you want.
Chezza
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: South Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking