Lightest Water Bottle?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Lightest Water Bottle?

Postby Tintin » Thu 12 Jan, 2017 11:17 pm

I use Gatorade bottles with my Steripen because of the wide mouth. They weigh 51g. However sometimes I use micropur tablets and don't require the wide mouth.

The 1.25L Deep Spring Mineral Water bottles weigh 35g which is one of the lightest I have seen. I also like the tall shape.

What else is out there in the 1L to 1.5L range? I know there has to be some exotic drink I have yet to try with a lighter bottle.
Tintin
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Re: Lightest Water Bottle?

Postby Mark F » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 8:30 am

You are really at the light end of bottles already. The collapsible bottles are a touch lighter. A Source brand one litre is 25 grams and a two litre is 36g. The lightest commercial water bottle I have come across is a Santa Vitoria 1.5 litre at 36 grams.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby andrewa » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 10:47 am

What about a recycled 4 l wine bladder - that's been my usual set up, and they are remarkable reliable.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 10:56 am

What about a recycled 4 l wine bladder

I have used them in the past and they are light for their capacity, but I find them awkward to drink from during the day and they have a bit more capacity than I need in camp.

I usually use a 1 litre and a two litre collapsible bottle which gives me versatility during the day depending on heat and distance between water sources and enough capacity for overnight.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Fri 13 Jan, 2017 1:06 pm

andrewa wrote:What about a recycled 4 l wine bladder - that's been my usual set up, and they are remarkable reliable.

Except when you drop a full one onto rocks while collecting creek water for camp :shock:. I had that one for years, could have cried :(.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:38 pm

I don't know the answer to the question. But it will depend on your definition of "water bottle". What size? Collapsible or not? I carry a small non-collapsible 250ml plastic bottle sometimes for whisky. It weighs about 10g.

I prefer a non-collapsible bottle for carrying drinking water during the day. My current one is a supermarket 1L water bottle from a US company called Crystal Geyser. It weighs 23g. I could probably get by most of the time with a smaller primary bottle, maybe 500ml. That would save some grams I guess. But it makes water treatment a more frequent chore.

For camp or for carrying extra water I generally use a 2.5L platypus (37g). Would a wine bladder be lighter than 37g and still be reasonably durable? Would I have to drink a lot of bad wine first?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 5:53 pm

Today I picked up a 1lt 'cleanse by balance' from Coles which is nicely tall and narrow so fits in pack side pockets. Here's a photo with a lid from a 'pump' bottle. Aussie brand probably the average 23g or so.

Also spotted a narrow Glaceau Smart Water by Coke sourced from the air, a 700ml with a flip top and nipple but very flexible plastic so may not last.
Attachments
IMAG1811.jpg
Diluted bushflower essences
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Supertramp » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 7:50 pm

The lightest ones have the ultra thin material, not sure if they have any 1.25, 1.5L bottles being made in it though.

Frantelle have 600ml bottles that are made in this plastic and weigh next to nothing.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 7:02 am

Mark F wrote:You are really at the light end of bottles already. The collapsible bottles are a touch lighter. A Source brand one litre is 25 grams and a two litre is 36g. The lightest commercial water bottle I have come across is a Santa Vitoria 1.5 litre at 36 grams.

EDIT: (website ate my post)

I bought a box if 1.5L collapsible bottles that weigh 22g each. Love them to bits but sadly the company stopped making them. AQUA Essence
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 8:22 am

Is it worth going uber-lite if they become so fragile they become unsafe?
I've relied on wine cask inners and coke bottles for years but still carry at least one stainless steel bottle and the dinosaur in me still used an army canteen and cup until last year
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 12:00 pm

I use Mount Franklin 1L 'Australian spring water' bottles. I bought a bunch on special, so haven't checked for a while if they're still available. My scales say 16 - 19 gm each. I wanted the 1L one so I can use one purifying tablet if needed. The bottles do get a bit squashed around the top - probably more so when emptyish. But they did survive being in side pockets while pack hauling and scrambling through the Eastern Arthurs. A bit dinted, but no significant weak spots yet. I'd use a new one for a big walk.

If space isn't an issue (less days), I tend to take the hardier Coles soda water 1.25L bottles at 23 gm. I draw a line at the litre mark in case I want to use a tablet.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby icefest » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 12:22 pm

Tortoise wrote:If space isn't an issue (less days), I tend to take the hardier Coles soda water 1.25L bottles at 23 gm. I draw a line at the litre mark in case I want to use a tablet.

Love these. Use them on on the outside of the pack just like you. :D
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 1:00 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Is it worth going uber-lite if they become so fragile they become unsafe?

Probably not, but they aren't that fragile. A typical coke bottle is very, very strong and quite durable. I've never had one leak while bushwalking. If they get crushed and then you re-inflate them they start to develop creases which will eventually form holes. But even that takes time. I've only had it happen to bottles I'd used repeatedly for rock climbing, for well over a year.

I stopped carrying the regular coke bottles and started carrying the super thin water bottles, the ones that are kind of corrugated and look like they'd puncture if you dropped them. I retire them after a couple of years when they're all scratched up, creased and dirty, but I haven't had one fail yet.

The platypus bottles do wear out though. The plastic ages and cracks eventually, but it's not hard to spot that and replace in advance.

Even if you carry a steel bottle it's a good idea to have some sort of backup -- you could lose it.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 15 Feb, 2017 2:30 pm

I always carry more than one way of carrying water, always have the wine cask liners folded up in a couple of places as back-up. The steel water bottle is more a comfort issue, it gets wrapped in a sock to stay cool in hot weather or as a hottie in a cold snap and while SS isn't a great conductor it does cool the contents if you wet the sock and hang it in the shade, always carry a bit of string to do that with.
I loose more coke bottles from them melting by being placed to the stove than by wearing out tho, 3 in the past decade I think all in winter too
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking