To Tarp?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: To Tarp?

Postby dunamis » Tue 24 Jan, 2017 4:21 pm

simonm wrote:
dunamis wrote:I'm planning on going DIY tarp over my bivy so a trip down to see Simon for some fabric is on the cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me know, I will put the kettle on.

You don't get that with overseas suppliers!! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dunamis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Davidf61 » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 8:51 pm

Z-packs will sell you a full roll of .74oz [ that's 36 meters ] for $1050 US. [around1370 OZ]

That sounds exxy but 36m [137cm wide] is a LOT of material and will let you construct probably 2 or 3 [ maybe 4 ] good size/different tarps or shelters plus enough left over for backpacks/bags/stuff.
You would have to plan oh so carefully indeed but if you did you could probably end up with a very deluxe bit of kit, with some to sell and recoup costs. Having a mate who just spent $10 000 :shock: on a pushbike it doesn't seem so much now.

Now, to slide that past the wife...... :roll:
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby McNazgul » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 3:55 pm

After much pondering I have purchased the HMG 2.6m x 2.6m.

I'll give an update once it arrives and i've had a go with it.
McNazgul
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby davidf » Sun 09 Jul, 2017 4:51 pm

What was damage incl post?
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Stew63 » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 1:42 pm

Nuts wrote:My main concern with a tarp / sleeping bag combo would be snake bedfellows. Not so bad in the cold, at least they have to enter somewhere around your face..

Other than that, for CF and a simple tarp, i'd go with DIY as Orion says (myself), CF is made for DIY'ers.

Tarped it under my MLD Grace Solo (CF) job a couple of weeks ago in a -7C frost - way up the Howqua. Was toasty warm under my UnderclingMike's quilt! Of more concern than snakes were the constant, close proximity of wild dogs approaching my 'campsite' throughout the night!
Last edited by Stew63 on Mon 24 Jul, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Stew63 » Mon 24 Jul, 2017 1:48 pm

The Locus Gear Tarp X Duo is on my 'interesting product list' at the moment - although it's a lot heavier than my MLD Grace CF tarp.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 12:19 pm

Can't handle the thought of crawling insects while I slept...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 4:19 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Can't handle the thought of crawling insects while I slept...

A guide once told me he had to deal with a leach that had attached itself to one of his party's eyeball. Apparently they were tarping it in a damp area and it had some how latched on during the night. Cant be sure but I don't ''think' he was pulling my leg.

I haven't done too much tarping since I heard that story (and a few more) :lol:

In fact the last time I did tarp was at pantoneys crown several years back. A mate and I did a very lazy job of securing the tarp and a thunderstorm hit us around midnight.. A few mins later the tarp was ripped from its attachment points and we were franticly trying to secure everything in the middle of driving wind, rain, thunder and lightning. I do recall both of us joyfully laughing like crazy people at the time.. was a fairly epic storm.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 5:17 pm

Heard and read plenty of story and cases where various undesirables got into the various cavities. Not pleasant and avoidable.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 8:47 pm

Aussie soldiers manage to sleep under "hoochies" all over Australia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 12:42 am

ChrisJHC wrote:Aussie soldiers manage to sleep under "hoochies" all over...

Been there and done that many decades ago in the cadets. Face swelled and got covered by nasty mozzi bites after a weekend of bivouac. Never again!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jeremyw » Sun 24 Sep, 2017 2:04 pm

Franco wrote:In your view, what is the advantage of the tarptent over a tarp?

Ease and speed of setting them up and weather protection .
You can ,say, have good wind protection from a tarp but you need to set it up for it. If the wind was not there or changes direction, most tarpers would need to re-set the rig.
With a Notch, as an example, you just open up or pull down the sides according to he need. Don't have to re-stake.
Of course you can set up a tarp very low to start with but then you have a sort of bivy set up that you need to crawl in and out of and without space to easily get changed , read sitting up and cooking.
But of course that is how I see it and the reason why I became attracted to the brand in the first place.

Franco, that's a bit of a naive response from you, TT bias coming out?

Ease and speed of setup - I can pitch a tarp waaaay faster than I can unroll and put my tarptent up.

Having to set up a tarp with wind and rain in mind is of very little concern, I do the same damn thing with a tent, only, with a tent I have to be a lot more concerned about the ground site as well.

> Don't have to re-stake.

I don't think I've ever needed to do this to be honest, maybe I lack experience, but I think its more likely I check the forecast dutifully and pitch accordingly.

> you can set up a tarp very low to start with but then you have a sort of bivy set up that you need to crawl in and out of

You only have to do this on the nights you expect really bad rain, and I believe most backpacking tents are still only half my height so crawling is sort of a given!

Tarps offer a lot of flexibility, and yes, you do need to pick your sites a little more carefully than a tent, but you also have a lot more options to choose from.

The real question is - why doesn't tarptent offer a flattarp? I'd snap one up pretty fast (I believe they used to - but didn't make economical sense?)
jeremyw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Franco » Sun 24 Sep, 2017 3:04 pm

We never had a flat tarp.
TT started with Henry Shires making a bug proof shaped tarp (sort of A frame) for himself.
(the plans are on the TT site)
tarpdesign29.JPEG
tarpdesign29.JPEG (13.56 KiB) Viewed 26263 times

Others on his PCT hike liked the idea so he found someone to make some and so it went (that was in 1999)

He did not want to go the tarp plus net or bivy way nor carry a standard tent.
There are a lot of choices between a simple tarp and a fully geodesic multi pole tent, you pick your poison.
Of course I like the Tarptent way, I was a customer for 5 years before I became part of it, there is nothing naive about it , just personal choice.

I can pitch a tarp waaaay faster than I can unroll and put my tarptent up
I was describing my point of view not a universal truth...
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jeremyw » Sun 24 Sep, 2017 11:15 pm

I think you might have misunderstood, I'm a huge fan of tarptent too and don't think we're naive for using them - far from it.

Simply thought your argument against tarps had a few holes in it, or at least I didn't see the same problems.
jeremyw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 7:35 pm

This is why i chose a Tarptent. Like a tarp but with a sewn in floor and mesh.

My main concern would be leeches. BTW my previous research advised that if you get one on the eyball DON'T pull it off. That will damage your eye. It's horrible but wait until it drops off!

Meanwhile, I really want to go for a palatial mid or tarp. Mozzie headnet or an STS net and groundsheet me thinks.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 9:49 am

Neo wrote:
Meanwhile, I really want to go for a palatial mid or tarp. Mozzie headnet or an STS net and groundsheet me thinks.

I couldn't help myself...
The SS2 fly only is a bit over 700g , a bit larger than some :
ss2-12.jpg
ss2-12.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 26185 times

$230 USD , under Extras , page 4.
(ignore the trekking pole, it isn't needed. I t was just me playing with it)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 10:24 am

Can't believe we are talking leeches on the eye ... but I have had one, and I used salt/ salty water to get it to drop off.

PS - I do have a Moment which is great.
And I have been under hoochies.
They are fine for places like the Flinders Ranges [Op Flinders uses them for their trips with at risk kids], but I have not yet ventured into Tas with just a tarp for sleeping.
I do carry a tarp to use for a cooking shelter though. It was also handy for draping over us to eat lunch in the rain :wink:
Last edited by eggs on Tue 26 Sep, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Neo » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 10:38 am

Salt or flame can make them regurgitate which is where bacteria can get you, otherwise they don't spread any diseases luckily.
Rub to encourage them to drop off, or just wait.
The Aussie species are favoured for medical purposes too.

Looks roomy Franco.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 11:02 am

I've been tarping on solo trips for the last few years.

Weight savings is the main impetus for me. Insects are part of the deal though. They come right in and join the party. Recently I awoke after a slightly rainy night to find about 45 very large ants snuggled up against me, trying to stay warm and dry. They weren't the biting kind but I evicted them quickly just the same. Leeches? I'd definitely want a barrier. Other insects are worrisome as well. I got a Jumping Jack ant in my pants on one trip.

The other thing I've found is that a tent keeps random junk out, and that's an issue with ultralight pads. I put so many holes in my Neoair Xlite cowboy camping and tarping. I had to sleep on my pack one night. It stopped being funny as I was constantly submerging the thing in the bathtub at home. For my last trip I made a super light 140g bivy sack (like MLD sells), partly to add some warmth and increase protection in windy, wet weather, but also to protect my fragile and very expensive pad.

Maybe a tent isn't so heavy...
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidf » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 6:01 pm

I have used a hoochie or silnylon tarp for years. Now have a cuben MLD porter (bought here second hand) and one of there mids. rarely use the inner. Have one of there light bivi sacks. Use a foam pad cut in half. Use the pack for my lower half or if i have it the packraft
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 1:20 pm

My bivvy bag has a built-in bug net. I do find that zipping it up makes the air really dry and leaves me panting all night (well, that's what I tell my wife :)).
I only zip it up when the mozzies are ridiculous, but it works well for keeping bugs and other things out of the bivvy when I'm not in it.

Also, now that I've gone to a hammock with built-in bug net the bivvy rarely gets a run.
ChrisJHC

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 1:26 pm

I also note that no-one is talking about using snake skins for their tarp.
These are big in the US and make it really easy to mount and dismount your tarp in windy conditions.
Plus they can provide a waterproof cover (depending on the material) to keep your wet tarp from connecting other things in your pack.

Also, for those times when you're not sure if you want to put the tarp up or not, you can sling it but keep it rolled up in the snake skins. Then takes a couple of seconds to deploy if the rain does come.

Basically a silnylon or mesh tube that slides over your tarp to make it look like a long snake. You then roll / stuff it into your pack.
ChrisJHC

Postby Orion » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 2:47 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:I also note that no-one is talking about using snake skins for their tarp.
These are big in the US and make it really easy to mount and dismount your tarp in windy conditions.
Plus they can provide a waterproof cover (depending on the material) to keep your wet tarp from connecting other things in your pack....

...Basically a silnylon or mesh tube that slides over your tarp to make it look like a long snake. You then roll / stuff it into your pack.

I've never heard of this. A quick search makes it look like a hammock accessory. Is that accurate?

There aren't many hammockers (must be an adjective a noun if tarp is verb) where I usually go (California Sierra).
Last edited by Orion on Wed 27 Sep, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Wed 27 Sep, 2017 3:10 pm

Snake skins are mostly hammocker related or for those that are always likely to hang their tarp between two trees rather than using poles. They do add a bit of bulk to the packed size, which is one of their pitfalls.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking