Zpacks latest UL pack - The Nero - 309grams

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Zpacks latest UL pack - The Nero - 309grams

Postby Stew63 » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 8:18 am

ZPacks have recently discontinued their Zero range of ultralight backpacks (and options) and have now replaced it with Joe's latest offering The Nero ultralight frameless backpack which is now available. At 309gms this new pack is 'stripped down' to only the bare essentials with no options available - the Nero is available in Army Green, Azure Blue, Black and Grey. The bummer for me is the mesh centre pocket which although reducing the weigh a little more the mesh is diabolical when bush-bashing - it will be ripped to shreds on day 1. :( The Nero has a 38litre total capacity (total) including a 25l main body, 8litre centre mesh pocket and 2x2.5litre side pockets. The pack is useful up to 9kgs (maximum)and a suggested base weight of 2.5kgs. Material is 2.92oz DCF.
Attachments
nero-foam-s.jpg
ZPacks Nero
nero-foam-s.jpg (26.63 KiB) Viewed 9676 times
nero-ultralight-frameless-backpack-s.jpg
ZPacks Nero
nero-ultralight-frameless-backpack-s.jpg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 9676 times
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Zpacks latest UL pack - The Nero - 309grams

Postby Orion » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 11:22 am

It's a big day pack.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Eljimberino » Fri 07 Apr, 2017 4:53 pm

Funny - they remove the zero and replace it with this?

I'll probably buy a Pa'lante pack instead of this at one point. Bottom pocket and integrated shoulder pockets tip me in their favour.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby nezumi » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 2:30 pm

Orion wrote:It's a big day pack.

Depending on how you pack, it's doable as a multi-day pack.

My main issue with it is the ratio of internal storage to mesh pocket storage.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby whitefang » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 3:41 pm

If I was going for a pack like this it would be a toss up between the Pa'lante Simple and the MLD Burn. The Simple and Burn have more internal space (32L and 30L, respectively). All three suffer from having a lot of mesh, but I think MLD tackle this best having Dyneema X in high abrasion points on the mesh pockets. The Burn is a bit heavier, but only by 30g so the extra weight is pretty negligible. However, the Cuben Burn comes in at 325g. The Burn is also the cheapest option. $180 compared to $199 for the Nero and $240 for the Simple.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking