Massdrop

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Massdrop

Postby PedalRoll » Mon 08 May, 2017 3:44 pm

What's everyone's thoughts? Anyone have experience ordering from there?

I have just been informed of Massdrop and am pretty intrigued.

The massdrop x klymit pads seem too good to be true.
PedalRoll
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Re: Massdrop

Postby Mark F » Mon 08 May, 2017 4:01 pm

Massdrop is a reliable supplier and I have bought a couple of things from them. Like all offers you need to check it against both AU retailers and OS retailers. You will often find zero or minimal savings compared to other sources of the product and there is a longer wait for the product - not ship next day.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Tortoise » Mon 08 May, 2017 4:07 pm

I've had 2 excellent experiences buying through Massdrop - just make sure you've got the shipping sorted. Sometimes it's free worldwide, sometimes it's pricy, but still a great bargain overall, sometimes you need to ship to a US address, I think, depending on the brand. But plenty of folk here use US mail-forwarding companies. I haven't yet.

But as Mark says, check elsewhere too. I got a couple of things for about half the Aussie price (including shipping) from the UK. Often a kind person here puts an alert in the Specials/discounts/adverts section when there's a really good deal somewhere in the world.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby racca » Mon 08 May, 2017 4:15 pm

Ordered many things off them, only ever one issue, ordered 2 ULA backpacks but I only received one. They offered refund or send the second one, I chose to get the second one as it was a good backpack, Issue resolved. That's the only hiccup in 15+ purchases. As Mark F says make sure you research prices before you commit, There are some bargains to be had. They don't tend to put up cheap crap which is good.
racca
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby -dz- » Tue 09 May, 2017 9:06 am

Massdrop are a bit scumbaggy if you ask me. Induce impulse buys for things that aren't really a good deal (better savings elsewhere.)

They're good at what they do though!
-dz-
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby rurik » Tue 09 May, 2017 10:21 am

I have used them for a few things and am happy with them. Like others have said check your prices including shipping. Sometimes the "amazing" price is not so good by the time shipping is factored in. Other times the prices are fantastic. I brought a tent off there a few years ago that worked out to be a third of the price of buying it in Aus and half the price of the equiverlent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ofuros » Tue 09 May, 2017 11:54 am

No problems with purchasing through them...Shop around & compare with local prices here.
Add unlocked US price & postage then convert to Aussie dollars to see if its worthwhile deal.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Ultralight backpacking