Help with condensation in Zpacks Duplex

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Help with condensation in Zpacks Duplex

Postby Kristin » Sun 21 May, 2017 9:05 am

Around October last year, I bought a Zpacks Duplex to help reduce the weight of my gear. I was aware that you should keep at least one door on each side open to allow for airflow to reduce condensation build up. I've used the duplex only on 3 occassions and 2 out of the 3 I had condensation issues.

Can someone please advise on how I can minimise this further? For me, a tent is supposed to keep me dry, not provide free showers :-)
I'm assuming it might be something to do with site location - but any suggestions would be great.

In all of the examples, I was solo in the tent. Average sized lady ...
Occasssion 1 - one night on the GNW, within Sydney bounds, late October . It did rain hard that night and rain was coming in with the doors open. Although I knew that I shouldn't, I closed both doors on both sides. I woke up during the night with it raining in the tent. The condensation had build up and as it rained, the condensation got knocked off. There was a small trickle of a creek approx 200m away - that developed a bit of volume over the evening.

Occassion 2 - one night on the GNW, within Sydney bounds, early Jan. Apparently the hottest night on record. No water nearby, except for my sweat. No condensation issues.
Occassion 3 - Easter long weekend at Kanangra Boyd. Approx 200-300m from the creek at the campground. I slept with the doors open - despite the fact it was pretty darn cool. Condensation each night - lots of it. Enough so that it made my sleeping bag feel damp to touch. No active "rain" from the roof unless I accidently hit a wall.

What do I need to be taking in to account?
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Help with condensation in Zpacks Duplex

Postby Aushiker » Sun 21 May, 2017 9:14 am

As a Zpacks Duplex owner I will be following this thread with interest. Thankfully I haven't had an issue so far despite pitching in rain near a winter lake.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby Mark F » Sun 21 May, 2017 9:17 am

In the right conditions all tents experience condensation. More ventilation helps reduce it and in double skin tents it is still there but on the underside of the fly sheet. Still nights are often the worst especially if you camp next to a creek or river. Most people just take a cloth to wipe the tent down when they wake in the morning. I use a yellow Vidella cloth which also sees duty when cooking etc. PS. I currently have a Zpacks SolPlex but many others over the past 50 years and all the same, some a little better than others but it comes down to the conditions..
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Eljimberino » Wed 07 Jun, 2017 11:14 pm

Unless it's raining keep at least one door open either side.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby jimmeyer176 » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 11:07 pm

There is no way around condensation, you're going to get some, the question is how to manage it. Ventilation is only one factor and even a well ventilated tent on a breezy night will still suffer from condensation under the right conditions. As a rule, never setup on grass, never set up in an open area, always use under trees and in wooded area, never near water, etc...Even with both doors open you'll still get condensation although it should be minimised. Remember condensation also occurs when there are two significantly different temperatures on either side of the fabric, so if it's warmer in your tent you're going to get some condensation, open those doors up and minimise warmth and you're less likely to get it. Rainy nights is when you'll typically experience the most condensation.
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby GregH » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 7:11 am

GregH
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Ultralight backpacking